Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Copy your star for your sig , brother!

Old 11-08-2014, 11:34 PM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 3,988 Likes on 1,595 Posts
Thank You.......That is kind of you folks.

Do what is right because you do what is right........

He needed help........so......I made time to help.

Old 11-09-2014, 07:28 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
Originally Posted by Sailor_Roy
Thank You.......That is kind of you folks.

Do what is right because you do what is right........

He needed help........so......I made time to help.
There's a million upsides to such a mind set or thought process---if we only for a moment put ourselves in their positions we respond by doing what would be most helpful and greatly appreciated by ourselves in that same situation.

Old 11-10-2014, 07:48 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The purpose of the whole idea of helping others is in part because it may one day catch on again

A lot of people out there are unable to even help themselves- they really have no idea what to do. They were not taught to do it....

What do I do now? Oh my.... Can someone please help me....

We have to think about people in this day and age - they are taught that Mommy and Poppa take care of everything, and then they left home with no further information

What happens when they are in trouble?

And then there are the others like you and I. We DO know what to do - what should we do?

What should we tell them?

What should we teach them...

It troubles me that in a day and age when "SELF RELIANCE" is so necessary, there are so few actually able to take care of themselves in extreme circumstances.

Life and death scenarios our parents knew could happen
What is important right now?
What should be my priorities?
How can I survive?
What tools do I need?

What skills should I learn to deal with the future I see before me?

Old 12-24-2014, 07:16 AM
ProjectDually
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just a couple instances, nothing major. I was coming home from CO 2 years ago, Christmas day, and this lady was stopped off the road with her 4 ways on. Long story short, her car had died, and needed a a new battery(it exploded and was steaming). She didn't know what to do. I told her to get in my cab to stay warm, while I called to find a tow company for her, since she couldn't roll up her window. She was korean IIRC, didn't speak a lot of english, and had just arrived in the US to go to school not long ago. I stuck around until the tow truck took her down the road. But I've jumped people's cars before in the middle of the night, gone out of my way to fill up a gas can for a guy whose family was actually pushing the car towards town, and had a long ways to go.

Old 12-24-2014, 07:55 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
Originally Posted by Greywolf

What skills should I learn to deal with the future I see before me?
Not sure its a skill per se but not worrying oneself to death over that which we can't control is a good idea. Apart from that if we simply act according to the golden rule things tend to take care of themselves.

With a bit of pride in myself I'll relate something I think fits here.........

Was waiting for food when I noticed an elderly couple sharing a booth---the man appeared to be in very good shape left the booth, walking outside, his wife a way behind him. She somewhat struggled to remove herself from the booth but finally was slowly and somewhat unsteadily able to head outside---husband no where to be seen, no car waiting for the woman right outside the door.

I hopped up to hold the door open for her but she was trying to unfurl an umbrella---it had been raining on and off. Once the umbrella was open it was clear she was quite unsure of her footing, would have difficulty stepping off the sidewalk onto the parking lot then navigating the speedway that is this particular joint's lot, husband still not around.

I offered to help her to the waiting car---husband was sitting on his rump in the front seat waiting for her I assume, not lifting a hand to help her. She took my arm, I held the umbrella and gently guided her around several puddle---she was wearing summer shoes, something like flip flops. We chatted---she was on her way to get a pedicure. Husband still in the car even as we approached, didn't do much more than use the PDL's for her.

I helped her inside, folded the umbrella and placed it in the rear seat (Lincoln Town Car). She thanked me profusely, he grunted "yeah--thanks" and that was it. I felt sooooo sorry for her---what a putz her traveling mate or husband was---very uncaring.

So then........another man about 20 years younger than I had witnessed this and was so overjoyed he was amazed at the whole thing, having seen it all unfold. As it turns out he was buying lunch for a nursing staff who had cared for his mother during a recent stay. We both lamented how much chivalry was non-existent these days, wondered who was raising that sort of person.

He was almost overly thankful towards me, I tried to play it off only because it wasn't something done for any reason other than helping someone. As I was backing out he came outside motioning for me to wait a moment. Very shortly after he returned with a gift card for the joint (regional chain pizza shop) and thanked me again several times. It was a generous offer and I thanked him for it---just as profusely.

I'll probably never see any of those people again but if it helped them even in the least it was a good feeling to be there when needed. Pass it along---it does the mind a world of good.

BTW Merry Christmas to everyone here on FTE and their families, where ever or who ever they might be!

Old 12-25-2014, 02:14 PM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 3,988 Likes on 1,595 Posts
Merry Christmas to all the Fine Folks here.........

Theresa was a little angel this morning.........up at 3:30 .........dove into her stocking......(Santa leaves the stockings next to the bed) Went back to bed.......up again ?? at 7:00 I woke up found her sitting with her stocking stuff waiting for us.........
Been a Good morning........Theresa is a blessing

Before present time........Theresa had us sing Happy Birthday Jesus......

Old 09-22-2017, 02:16 AM
IDMooseMan
Postmaster
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Resurrecting an old, but excellent, thread. I am surprised to see no new entries in nearly three years. I imagine folks have forgotten about this thread.

Would love to read about recent good deeds.