1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Does 2Cy Oil Really Help?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 04:36 PM
powrstrkr
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Would using Diesel Kleen AND 2cy oil be redundant, or will you get benefits from both? I've been using DK since finding this site but am thinking of trying the 2cy oil also.

Old 03-27-2008, 08:07 PM
IceboxFX
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Robbgt
Ice, for me that would be around town with a light foot, If I'm in it, goes down quicker. Not unusual to see 14-16 round town

-Robb
haha me too i just get 12-14 around town. i drive with the lightest foot possible. i wish the truck would do a little better, but what can i say...

Old 03-27-2008, 08:09 PM
IceboxFX
Tuned
Originally Posted by powrstrkr
Would using Diesel Kleen AND 2cy oil be redundant, or will you get benefits from both? I've been using DK since finding this site but am thinking of trying the 2cy oil also.
im curious about this also.. im gonna try it after i run out of stanadyne (3 1/4 tanks) and ill let you know how it works out.

Old 03-27-2008, 11:49 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
i have used it. i used one small bottle per tank. i noticed a quieter engine, less of the knocking that our trucks have. i also went from 15-16mpg to about 17.5. i quit using it b/c it seemed to make my fuel filters jet black and i kept thinkin' my fuel filters were extremely dirty but after like 7 fill ups of using diesel kleen only and no 2 stroke oil my fuel filters stay pretty clean. i haven't notice much difference between using the 2 stroke oil and using diesel kleen though. they were pretty close in mileage. i have never tried both of them at the same time though. hope this helps y'all a little bit.

Old 03-28-2008, 03:11 AM
884x4broncoII
Posting Guru
i run two stroke oil 1qt per tank, runs queter, mpg gain is probably around 1mpg, but a defenate improvement engine noise. runs like before the switch to ulsd i have run power service and howes neather seemed to make as much of an differance as 2stroke.

Old 03-28-2008, 11:22 AM
iasrap
Senior User
This was talked about on here before I think. I am pretty sure TJBeggs and MADVAN were discussing it. I started using 2 stroke in my wife's truck, and I have taught her to use a light foot for fuel economy. She gets 22mpg on hwy, and 17.5 in town on average. Her's is the first truck in my sig. 4x2.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:08 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have used DK and 2 stroke oil. I have seen good results with the DK but just started using the 2 stroke oil but too many changes to track results.

Old 03-29-2008, 12:54 AM
kawa
Postmaster
OK, beleave me or leave me but here is what I did today. I went to Wally World to get some Rotella T for the next oil change and I saw the 2 stroke oil in gallons so I bought some.

I needed fuel, I always have my little bottles of Diesel Kleen w/8oz. so I filled the remainder of the bottle up with 2 stroke and poured it in the empty tank and filled it up.

As I left the station I switched over to the "Doctored" tank and within 8-10 miles I noticed a smoother, quieter engine. I even rolled my windows down at stops to see if I was imagining this. It was quieter.

Now in all fairness I have been on a high ever since I installed the "CURE" on my tranny but the CURE didn't reduce noise it just made the truck shift as smooth as new.

I'll let ya all know as my experiment goes along.

Rog

Old 03-29-2008, 02:17 AM
scatgo
Posting Guru
Hey Kawa, witch 2 stroke oil did you get?

Old 03-29-2008, 02:52 AM
kawa
Postmaster
I'll look tomorrow and get back to a, it's raining out right now. Wait, I have the receipt right here, Hmmmm it just says "Outboard Oil" $8.78 pre gallon, I can't think of the name, it's kinda like their own brand, it's in a blue container and it's "ashless burning". and the oil it's self is blue in color. I don't think that I put in enough to dye a complete tank blue though. The Blues Bro's will be after me.lol

I really did notice a differance though but we'll just have to wait and see.

Rog

Old 03-29-2008, 04:42 AM
bkcowboss
Posting Guru
I ran 2 stroke for a long time, started after I began having #8 injector problems, the miss from the sticky injector went away, and I have put 20,000 miles on the truck since I was told I was in for a new injector. I did however come across study on the lubrication properties of different additives (this is what sulfer did for diesel, and what the two stroke oil is said to replace) I am not at my computer so I don't have the study available, but to sum it up, the best lubrication comes from a mixture of bio diesel, 5% I believe was the test sample. Next was Optilube ultra (or something like that) that is what I am currently running, Optilube has another couple of products in there that then 2 stroke oil is about 5th on the list but still a very good lubrication additive. As I remember DK did not do real well on the lubrication test (that is not the sole function of DK) and there are some products out there that claim lubrication but actually reduce the lubrication properties if the ULSD. If you guys are interested I will see if I can talk my wife through adding this study the thread.

Old 03-29-2008, 06:27 PM
kawa
Postmaster
The two (2) stroke oil that I bought at Wally World is: SUPER TECH ashless,
It's in a big blue gallon jug.

Rog

Old 03-30-2008, 12:03 AM
scatgo
Posting Guru
I have the link on the additive study. I have been using Optilube because of the results of this study. Look how bad Lucus did I was using that stuff. I will make things worse!

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...n-thelist.html

Old 03-30-2008, 07:11 PM
maverick1701
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just picked up some super-tech 2stroke oil and added it to a full tank today. I have been keeping track of my mileage and will post back with what I find out...hopefully I will get some gains.

Old 03-30-2008, 07:25 PM
kawa
Postmaster
Originally Posted by maverick1701
just picked up some super-tech 2stroke oil and added it to a full tank today. I have been keeping track of my mileage and will post back with what I find out...hopefully I will get some gains.
How much 2 stroke did you add?

Rog

Quick Reply: Does 2Cy Oil Really Help?