1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

radius arm bushing questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 07:25 AM
bobpat204
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
radius arm bushing questions

hi all, my first request for help on my new purchase,i bought a 96 f250 two wheel drive e4 tranny,runs great, took it in for a alignment check it does tend to wander a bit. the radius arm bushings are bad, the passanger side is the worst. so i will be doing a change soon, any tips or warnings i should know about?? has any body removed the radius arm shackel instead of taking the front wheel assy apart? thanks for any help you can lend me.

Old 03-27-2008, 08:35 AM
plowhand
Playing in the Dirt
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
(This works best with two people but it can be done with one) To replace the radius arm bushings, jack up the front of the truck and support it on jack stands. Remove the front tires, remove the brake caliper and wire to the top spring mount (you will be moving the spring and axle assembley) unbolt the top shock mount bolt and remove the top coil spring retaining clip. Remove the radius arm nut, washer and rear bushing half. Turn the front wheels all the way to one side, place a long pry bar through the radius arm and under the axle. Pry down on the pry bar and this will pull the radius arm out of the rear bracket.

Now remove the old front half of the bushing and replace it with a new one. Pry down on the bar, align the radius arm with the bracket and let the axle assembley come back up. Place the new rear half of the bushing, the washer and nut back on the radius arm and tighten. Reconnect the top spring clip, shock and brake caliper. Repeat on the other side. Replace the tires, remove the jack stands, lower the truck and your done.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-27-2008, 12:37 PM
bobpat204
Junior User
thanks for the reply,does the sping need to compressed and held while doing this?you said put long pry bar thru arm and pry down,the arm will be pulled out of bracket in a downward movment?the i beam will just be moving down right? thanks again.

Old 03-27-2008, 02:00 PM
Pest007
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You need to make sure that you have the frame supported, don't have the truck weight on the front axle while your trying to work on it. I did remove my radius arm shackle when I did mine since I had to fix a crack in it, I have pictures if you need some, here is my old post for info

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...-bushings.html

Old 03-27-2008, 04:40 PM
bobpat204
Junior User
your post was great i did the passanger side in about 1.5 hours with just hand tools, would have probably knocked it out in an hour with air tools.drivers side tomarrow thanks for the post worked great.