Sponsored by:

Let's team up making fuel

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 07:01 AM
firemediceric
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let's team up making fuel

I have been running a WVO blend of fuel in my truck for about two years now. It's costin me around 80 cents per gallon.

If anyone in my area, Vero Beach, FL wants to team up, PM me and lets see about ramping up production. Several of us can get together and make things a little easier for all of us.

I know there's a lot of people on this forum, but are there any in my area that may want to venture down this road?

Maybe this should be posted in another section, but this seemed best to me.

Old 03-27-2008, 04:51 PM
stroken
Posting Guru
I would love too!!! But I live too far away, I had thought about doing somthing myself but not sure what all to do. I would If I lived closer...

Old 03-27-2008, 08:15 PM
IceboxFX
Tuned
same here, im in NJ tho. ive been interested in making wvo. do you have a conversion kit on your truck or do you just run a blend?

Old 03-27-2008, 08:33 PM
firemediceric
Senior User
Originally Posted by IceboxFX
same here, im in NJ tho. ive been interested in making wvo. do you have a conversion kit on your truck or do you just run a blend?
No conversion, just the blend. Being in Florida helps with that working.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:55 PM
empiretc
Lead Driver
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
what ratio are you running and how fine are you filtering it?

Old 03-28-2008, 02:31 PM
firemediceric
Senior User
I get asked this question all the time, so here is a cut and paste from another response I made. It may have more info than you want, but if it doesn't answer your questions just let me know and I'll be happy to elaborate.

I got started with the DSE stuff. I then did a lot more research. I continue to use the basic process, but I no longer use their additive and I have added some steps.

I have not heard first hand of anyone having any problem with the process beyond clogged filters. I have yet to clog a filter in my truck. I have only clogged the filter in the Mercedes that came with the car when I bought it, since then the junk has been cleaned out of the tank just through use and no problems since. In the begining I went through filters on my fuel processing station pretty regularly, but since changing up my process a little, my filters last hundreds of gallons. I probably have 600 gallons on the present ones now.

Here's what I do: I used to collect my oil by either picking up the cubies the restaurant has set out for me or by using a pump to pull the oil out of a dumpster and put it into 5 gallon buckets. Now I have a Super Sucker made out of 120 gallon propane tank. I put the tank under vacuum and pick up 120 gallons in about 20 minutes.

My first 55 gallon drum has a hole cut in it the allows a 5 gallon bucket to be inserted like a cork in a bottle. This 5 gallon bucket has a bunch of holes drilled in the bottom. I line this bucket with a pillow case (I buy them at the thrift shop for 50 cents each.) I pour the oil into the pillow case and wait for it to filter through. I stop pouring as soon as I see water or any junk going into the pillow case.

After I have filled up the 55 gallon drum I do a VERY simple mist wash. I used to use a pump sprayer. Now I use a sprinkler head on a garden hose. My hope is that this will balance out any Ph issues as well as further flush out any contaminates. I spray several gallons of water, usually about 5 gallons/10% of the volume of the WVO, over the oil. After letting it sit for a day or more, I drain the water off of the bottom. I then drop in a heating element and heat the oil to 120* for 6 hours while a small fan blows air across the surface of the oil. I then let it settle as long as possible, anywhere from a week to a couple of months depending on how soon I need it.

You'll be amazed at how much stuff settles out over time.

A few days before I need the oil I transfer it through the DSE recomended filter set up and into a second 55 gallon drum, leaving behind the bottom 6" or so to be disposed of later. Once in the second drum, I heat the oil one more time as above and then let it settle again for a few days. I can't really tell you why I do this, except that I like to err on the side of caution and this is an easy step to repeat. I then transfer one more time into my third and final drum which I call my Blending drum.

On the DSE filter set up I do use a better pump then they suggest and I also wrap the two whole house filters with paper towels. The paper towels can be peeled off when they get clogged and it lets me get more use out of the actual filters. Once in the blending drum, I add the kerosene. Sometimes as little as 10%, sometimes as much as 30%. I add 5% RUG. Instead of the DSE stuff, I'm using naptha at the rate DSE recommends their stuff be used.

If you look at the MSDS for DSE you'll see that it's primarily naptha and some xylene. Both can be bought at Lowe's for about $14 per gallon or $6 per quart. That's a whole lot less expensive than the DSE stuff. I've read both that the xylene allows the waterblock filter to catch suspended water and that the naptha allows any water that remains in the fuel to be processed by the vehicle without issue. I have no actual proof of those claims, but I reason that those additives certainly cannot hurt and may help, with viscosity if nothing else. I have gotten away from using the xylene as I have read it may not be kind to fuel lines. I haven't noticed any negatives since dropping the xylene. Naptha is also high in Cetane and low in Octane. People have blended with up to 50% naptha with good results, although it's cost prohibitive.

Diesel Kleen has actually been shown to increase the chances of polymerization, so I don't use that anymore.

Every now and again I also add some StarTron to the vehicle per the directions on the lable as an algacide. I put a whole bottle of the stuff in my tanks when I first got started just to clean them out. You can get it at West Marine.

So far everything is working well.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:18 PM
Bevis3
Senior User
I'm just SW of Okeechobee...wouldn't mind seeing your production setup sometime.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:23 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Ok so you go through all that work and still your running WVO with added chemicals that may or may not harm your engine, when you could with by what I see less work just make it into BIO for about the same costs and be assured you have good quality fuel that won't harm your engine, will run better and not take chances on destroying a $9000 engine, or best case only a $1200 set of injectors.

But hey it's your engine, I wouldn't let that concoction setup near mine, nor would I EVER buy a truck that I knew had been run on anything to do with DSE or their recipe.

Just my opinion.

Old 03-29-2008, 05:42 AM
firemediceric
Senior User
One reason I posted in this forum was to avoid a debate about fuel qualities, etc.

I realize that the method I am employing is no where as tried and true as BD. I am not oppossed to going the BD route, but up to now anyway, it has not been the best option for me. That said, I have 2 years on the truck and 18 months on the Mercedes running the blend without issue.

If I had others in my area that wanted to team up to divide the cost and labor, I would not object at all to running BD. In fact, I would prefer BD in that from what I understand, it can be made a lot quicker than how long it takes me to process the fuel I use.

So, if someone near by wants to get together and make fuel as a partnership, one of the first things we'll work out is what fuel we want to make.

Old 04-04-2008, 03:38 PM
Supercab
Lead Driver

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Wink

I am right next door to you up in Palm Bay and I would love to get together on this sometime soon.

Old 04-04-2008, 07:54 PM
firemediceric
Senior User
Originally Posted by Supercab
I am right next door to you up in Palm Bay and I would love to get together on this sometime soon.
Rick,
I got your e-mail, but the system is not letting me e-mail you back. You have a PM from me with my e-mail address.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:10 PM
Mat J
Senior User
im in jupiter in about 6 months i should have a bio process going. wouldnt mind getting intouch with you then and see what you got going by then.