distributor/cover questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 11:48 PM
effie_man
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
He only says taht becasue he just discovered what he thought was a 239 actually was a 255

Old 03-26-2008, 11:50 PM
rcav8or
If you use it, SUPPORT IT
Originally Posted by rcav8or
Pics in a minute...
R
Okay, a little longer than a minute...but not much! Here's pics of the pan I have on it now, and the motor as it looks with the aluminum and stock manifold...can't decide which to use!!!

R

Old 03-27-2008, 12:00 AM
rcav8or
Originally Posted by Snowking
As for intake though I've always prefered a aluminum one. Just dresses up the motor a little more. Are you tearing into the motor if so I recomend a 4 inch crank conversion. Just food for thought
I would prefer it if it was polished...but I won't polish this one, too "rough". If I do, I'll send it out to have it polished, don't have the gear anymore. I have another block, that I hope to slowly build over time - nice heads, etc. Probably still won't "merc" it, though - too much money for the driving I do. And my truck is pretty much maxed out at 45-50 anyway, with the gearing, etc. And I don't intend to "rod" it at all...I'm an original-type guy. Here's a pic of my Fenton, though, if I ever decide to build something else...

R

Old 03-27-2008, 08:22 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you just need to sell me the fenton roger !! hey now whats with the 48-60 guys remark ? i resemble that ya know !LOL!! well thanx to your oil pan discussion i know for sure i gotz the right pan on my 53 . roger idont know if ya caught my reply but i got a cast intake like your aluminum one without all the bolt holes my ford has for mounting , and roos and a couple of others said it was a merc , or possibly a lincoln intake . has a choke on it , had a stromberg on it thats sitting out in the black hole somewhere , and a rochester will bolt on it . i was gonna have it blasted or tanked to get rid of the rust and crud and drill it so i could use it .

Old 03-27-2008, 10:24 AM
rcav8or
I've thought about selling the Fenton - doubt I'll ever use it, at least not on my truck, but it's one of those things, you will miss it when it's gone!

On the cast intake - are you saying it takes a 4-bolt carb? And as per my discussion - before you drill it, make sure your BLOCK has the "extra" holes. One of my blocks has 14 and the other has 20. You can see the differences in a page I threw together by clicking:

14 and 20 hole blocks - and my rag!

As for the 48-60 remark, I think he's referring to the fact, that most of "us" take our flathead questions to the 48-60 forum, instead of here. That's most of the reason it can be so dead in here. I know I'm usually guilty of that. But, I appreciate the time people take to look here, so I will continue to use it. Lord knows I need to learn a LOT about flatheads!!!

R

Old 03-27-2008, 09:18 PM
Snowking
Post Fiend
As for the 48-60 remark, I think he's referring to the fact, that most of "us" take our flathead questions to the 48-60 forum, instead of here. That's most of the reason it can be so dead in here. I know I'm usually guilty of that. But, I appreciate the time people take to look here, so I will continue to use it. Lord knows I need to learn a LOT about flatheads!!!

R
Yep, you nailed it. or atleast i'll go with that lol And thank you

Old 03-28-2008, 09:04 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
yeah the intake takes a 4 bolt carb roger . and i compared it to an extra intake and the one on the truck and its got lots "o" holes in it , so it'll need to be drilled . i was only making that remark for fun 'bout the 48-60 forum guys too , so no one take it seriously now . im as guilty as everyone else . ask there first as thats where every one seems to be most of the time . and as far as missing things when you get rid of 'em , well , i gave away to my cousin an extra throttle linkage for a 54-56 , and in order to facilitate a rochester when i swap intakes geuss what i need .... yep that linkage as it hooks up on the left , not the right like the 94 on there now . always am i shooting myself in the foot like that !!!!!

Old 03-28-2008, 09:56 PM
51ford fan
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have had nothing but problems with that big clean out plate leaking oil. I have never been able to get it sealed worth a darn.
I have the truck pan, with the big cleanout that came with my truck (notice I said with and not ON!). The pan had been off forever, full of rusty bolts. This one (I just looked, and took some pics, they'll be up in a few minutes) on it is the car, with the small plug, and hump in the center...

Pics in a minute...

R

Old 03-28-2008, 10:19 PM
rcav8or
Rod - what was the biggest problem with getting it sealed?

R

Old 03-28-2008, 10:37 PM
51ford fan
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When I first got the truck I dropped that pan inspection cover to look at the pump screen. When I put it back I used the cork type gasket material on it. I didn't use any sealer on it just soaked the gasket material in water good like they recommend. It has leaked ever sense, I have checked the nut tightness several times. I didn't (haven't) checked but if those plate mounting studs/screws are tapped and screw into the pan I suspect that is where they are leaking. The stud/screws always have oil on them.

Rod - what was the biggest problem with getting it sealed?

R

Old 03-29-2008, 04:02 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
ya know thats the most amazing thing for my old girl is that it doesnt leak { save for anti freeze due to new radiator issues } a drop except for that darn cover even after sitting a quarter of a century . my grand father used to tell me how at the race track if the notorious leaky rear seal would rear ir's ugly head he'd take it apart right there and cut his belt up and make a new seal to get through the night . i took when listening to him that they all liked to leak out the rear seals , then after hanging around here i find it seems to be that cleanout more often than not . just the early ones with the seal issue ????? if you ever decide to sell that intake roger let me know so i can try and hustle some cash up for some odd reason i really want a dual carb intake .

Old 03-29-2008, 07:45 PM
effie_man
Postmaster
i just picked up a vintage polished aluminum edelbrock super dual

Old 03-29-2008, 09:09 PM
rcav8or
Originally Posted by effie_man
i just picked up a vintage polished aluminum edelbrock super dual
I like the super dual, if that's the one you can use your stock genny bracket with. I have the Fenton dual, with the angled genny bracket, but I think it requires an "el" so that you can hook the water outlet up.

R

Old 03-29-2008, 09:59 PM
effie_man
Postmaster
yup mines pretty much the same. I have to use the off center bracket as the front carb is so close to the front of the motor.

Old 03-29-2008, 10:57 PM
rcav8or
How purty!!!!

What year is your flathead? That looks like one off a very early one....

R

Quick Reply: distributor/cover questions