Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Air Intakes, Air Filters & Ram Air
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-25-2008, 02:53 PM
Senior User

79f100six is starting off with a positive reputation.
Foam Prefilter for my truck

I have been watching some tv and seen some of the mud runner trucks that are carburated and they have a foam filter that goes around the regular air filter. I tried looking on the internet and couldnt find anything i was wondering if anyone knew what they are called or where you can buy them. My truck is a 78 with a 400.
79 f100, 2wd, straight six, 3 on the tree
Old 03-27-2008, 11:09 AM
Posting Guru

kens64 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Summitracing has them. K&N sells them also. I used to run some of that eggcrate foam during the dusty season and it worked well. Cheap and easy to get.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/08...andcar-1-1.jpg

JOIN THE NEW MEXICO CHAPTER HERE
Old 04-07-2008, 05:24 PM
Post Fiend

ReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to behold
K&N makes two kinds of pre-filters. Airforce 1 which is a red open cell foam similar to what Truflow uses as a primary filter and then they have a pre-screen which is pretty much pantyhose that you slip of the filter.

</td><td> Look, see these two tow hooks? They look like tusks. And what kind of animal has tusks?</td></tr></table>
Old 04-08-2008, 01:01 AM
Senior User

79f100six is starting off with a positive reputation.
I looked at summit and i was looking at the k&n foam filter and that pantyhose slip on thing. I was thinking since i have a 4 inch paper filter right now i was going to get the summit 6 inch cotton filter which looks like a k&n just cheaper then get the foam and pantyhose filter things and put both on and the extra 2 inches would make up for restriction even though the foam filter and pantyhose thing only restrict airflow about 2% each, and so when i go mudding i wont have to really worry about getting water or mud clogging up the filter.
79 f100, 2wd, straight six, 3 on the tree
Old 04-08-2008, 11:29 AM
Post Fiend

ReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to behold
The pantyhose is more for dusty conditions and does it's best work while touching the cotton gauze filters because of the tiny amount of oil it steals. The oil on the pantyhose acts like the filter. The open cell foam is more for the mud environment, it catches and slows larger particles. If you want to try both, I wouldn't stop you, but the open cell is more for your application.

</td><td> Look, see these two tow hooks? They look like tusks. And what kind of animal has tusks?</td></tr></table>
Old 04-08-2008, 11:29 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Air Intakes, Air Filters & Ram Air