1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

this should help your gas tank

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 11:21 AM
48fordcoe
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
this should help your gas tank

Only buy or fill up your car or truck in the early morning when the ground temperature is still cold. Remember that all service stations have their storage tanks buried below ground. The colder the ground the more dense the gasoline, when it gets warmer gasoline expands, so buying in the afternoon or in the evening....your gallon is not exactly a gallon. In the petroleum business, the specific gravity and the temperature of the gasoline, diesel and jet fuel, ethanol and other petroleum products plays an important role.
A 1-degree rise in temperature is a big deal for this business. But the service stations do not have temperature compensation at the pumps.
When you're filling up do not squeeze the trigger of the nozzle to a fast mode. If you look you will see that the trigger has three (3) stages: low, middle, and high. In slow mode you should be pumping on low speed, thereby minimizing the vapors that are created while you are pumping. All hoses at the pump have a vapor return. If you are pumping on the fast rate, some other liquid that goes to your tank becomes vapor. Those vapors are being sucked up and back into the underground storage tank so you're getting less worth for your money.
One of the most important tips is to fill up when your gas tank is HALF FULL or HALF EMPTY. The reason for this is, the more gas you have in your tank the less air occupying its empty space. Gasoline evaporates faster than you can imagine. Gasoline storage tanks have an internal floating roof. This roof serves as zero clearance between the gas and the atmosphere, so it minimizes the evaporation. Unlike service stations, here where I work, every truck that we load is temperature compensated so that every gallon is actually the exact amount.
Another reminder, if there is a gasoline truck pumping into the storage tanks when you stop to buy gas, DO NOT fill up--most likely the gasoline is being stirred up as the gas is being delivered, and you might pick up some of the dirt that normally settles on the bottom. Hope this will help you get the most value for your money.
DO SHARE THESE TIPS WITH OTHERS!
WHERE TO BUY USA GAS, THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO KNOW. READ ON
Gas rationing in the 80's worked even though we grumbled about it. It might even be good for us! The Saudis are boycotting American goods. We should return the favor. An interesting thought is to boycott their GAS.
Every time you fill up the car, you can avoid putting more money into the coffers of Saudi Arabia . Just buy from gas companies that don't import their oil from the Saudis.
Nothing is more frustrating than the feeling that every time I fill-up the tank, I am sending my money to people who are trying to kill me, my family, and my friends.
I thought it might be interesting for you to know which oil companies are the best to buy gas from and which major companies import Middle Eastern oil.
These companies import Middle Eastern oil:
Shell........................... 205,742,000 barrels
Chevron/Texaco......... 144,332,000 barrels
Exxon /Mobil............... 130,082,000 barrels
Marathon/Speedway... 117,740,000 barrels
Amoco............................62,231,000 barrels
Citgo gas is from South America , from a Dictator who hates Americans. If you do the math at $30/barrel, these imports amount to over $18 BILLION! (oil is now $90 - $100 a barrel)
Here are some large companies that do not import Middle Eastern oil:
Sunoco..................0 barrels
Conoco..................0 barrels
Sinclair.................0 barrels
BP/Phillips............0 barrels
Hess.......................0 barrels
ARCO....................0 barrels
If you go to
Sunoco.com, you will get a list of the station locations near you.
All of this information is available from the Department of Energy and each is required to state where they get their oil and how much they are importing.
But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of gas buyers. It's really simple to do.

Old 03-27-2008, 03:11 PM
Fomoko1
Received 1,346 Likes on 1,105 Posts
Good point, thanks.

Old 03-27-2008, 05:31 PM
galaxie641
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Oh god it still lives. Where should we start, oil is a fungible resource ( if you don't know what that is look it up). The temperature of the ground is more or less constant. If you have an intank fuel pump the worst thing you can do is let it get below about a 1/4 of a tank, that will just kill the fuel pump faster because it will not be properly cooled. The amount of vapor loss will be negligible in the grand scheme of things. As for the gas truck thing, meh. That is why you have fuel filters and I bet there are filters in the expensive gas pumps as well.

Finally WHY does this email CRAP always get circulated and everyone thinks it is something new that no one has seen before? As far as I am concerened it is just another form of

Old 03-27-2008, 05:35 PM
rcav8or
If you use it, SUPPORT IT
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 48fordcoe

When you're filling up do not squeeze the trigger of the nozzle to a fast mode. If you look you will see that the trigger has three (3) stages: low, middle, and high. In slow mode you should be pumping on low speed, thereby minimizing the vapors that are created while you are pumping. All hoses at the pump have a vapor return. If you are pumping on the fast rate, some other liquid that goes to your tank becomes vapor. Those vapors are being sucked up and back into the underground storage tank so you're getting less worth for your money.
actually, had a buddy who did the on-site calibrations of gas pumps. Of course, these were the old pumps of a long time ago, but he said that they had to calibrate them at the fastest speed, making sure they were accurate. He also told me, that because of that, the slower you went, the more gas you actually got, by nature of the beast. Don't know if the new-fangled pumps are that way, but I still pump slowly.

As for the rest of the issues, I don't believe them, either...

R

Old 03-27-2008, 07:04 PM
r_reed
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
i agree with all of the responses. a more sensible approach would be to make sure our tires are fully inflated, get a tune up if needed, drive 5 mph slower on interstates and combine trips. the best way to reduce the price of gas is to cut the demand. amazingly, the cost will drop. it's not rocket sci, just a little earth sci and economics. dick r.

Old 03-27-2008, 07:12 PM
CIAF
Posting Guru
The part about arabs boycotting US products is true per the trade deficit data per country. The parts about blenders that import vs. those that do not is true per said source. I buy only Sinclair ( Wyoming refined) and Conoco ( Denver refined ) I do pump on slow ( to protect my paint ) but I just rely on the tank, pump and truck filters to do their job. And Spam is only crap that you get in EM and pop ups that you did not log on to see and that is forwarded back and forth. This is just a fellow member trying to edumacate us. Thanks 48
Jon

Old 03-27-2008, 07:54 PM
rcav8or
If you use it, SUPPORT IT
Originally Posted by 48fordcoe
Gasoline storage tanks have an internal floating roof. This roof serves as zero clearance between the gas and the atmosphere, so it minimizes the evaporation.
One more thing - as a certified Polyurethane Foam Technician, I used to spray foam on those floating lids. The reason given us was safety - the fumes are highly explosive, so the lids kept the "dead space" at a minimum, helping keep the fumes to a minimum also. I'm sure some advantage may have been gained, by not having evaporation, but the primary reason given us was the prevention of explosions and fires.

R

Old 03-28-2008, 03:19 AM
Fomoko1
Received 1,346 Likes on 1,105 Posts
Originally Posted by galaxie641
As far as I am concerened it is just another form of
So.. not a good point after all. Sorry, my bad!