1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

What causes this???

Old 03-23-2008, 08:07 PM
muscle66
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What causes this???

I replaced my flywheel and clutch about two years ago. Since Then I have only put about 7000 miles on my truck. For some reason when I decide to flip my chip up to some higher horsepower numbers, and get on it a little, when i get the higher rpms and change gears the clutch goes down and stays down. It takes a couple of seconds for the pedal to come back up. Is this the slave cylinder going out?? thats the only thing I didnt replace with the clutch and flywheel. Any other ideas? How hard is this to replace??

Thanks

Old 03-23-2008, 08:14 PM
helifixer
Lead Driver
Received 3,644 Likes on 1,125 Posts
sounds like either a sticky master or slave cylinder.

Old 03-23-2008, 10:37 PM
RubberDuck
Logistics Pro

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
It's actually the presure plate. Normally it happens to older clutches. What's happening is the centrifical force of the higher RPM's is overriding the clutch's ability to clamp back down. The diaphram that the throwout bearing rides on has a breakover point. When the truck is reved, it just stays there. I had this same issue with a LUK clutch I had back in the day. My guess is this. If you only put 7000 miles on a truck in 2 years, you need to drive it more. Sitting up like that probably weakend it. Just my opinion, hope it helps.

Old 03-24-2008, 09:43 AM
Todd525
Posting Guru
x2 on whats posted above

Old 03-24-2008, 06:51 PM
muscle66
Senior User
So you think its the pressure plate? For the record I drive it every day, i just lucked out and found a house to rent 2.5 miles from my job. It has never sit in one spot for more then a week or two. I also tend to drive it a little hard. The weird thing is it seems to snap into gear a little too fast durring regular driving. It has zero travel between in gear and out of gear. I thought that was just because it was a performance clutch. If it is the pressure plate, should I just get another new clutch (there goes my new credit limit)?
thanks

Old 03-25-2008, 12:37 AM
RubberDuck
Logistics Pro

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
I promise, it's the PP. No you shouldn't get a new one. Unless you can't keep it off the rev limiter. Then I suggest a Valair clutch. The only other thing I can think of is this. If you just put that clutch in and only drive a few miles a day. Maybe it didn't break in properly. Especially if you drove it hard like you said. I don't know, just a thought.

Search this Thread