Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > Expedition & Navigator
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-23-2008, 07:10 AM
New User

P95Loser is starting off with a positive reputation.
Question Check engine light flashing 98 expi, HELP!

I have a 1998 Expedition, 5.4L. It is throwing a P0300 random/multiple misfire. What could cause this? It has had the plugs/wires replaced about a year ago, so I dont think it could be that. It also should tell me which cylinder is bad if it were one of those.

I am thinking it is either the distributor (do these cars have one), fuel system, or maybe a sensor or the computer. Could anyone lead me in the right direction on this?
Old 03-23-2008, 09:13 AM
Post Fiend

projectSHO89 is a splendid one to beholdprojectSHO89 is a splendid one to beholdprojectSHO89 is a splendid one to beholdprojectSHO89 is a splendid one to beholdprojectSHO89 is a splendid one to beholdprojectSHO89 is a splendid one to beholdprojectSHO89 is a splendid one to beholdprojectSHO89 is a splendid one to behold
There is neither a distributor or spark plug wires on your engine.

Usually, it's bad spark plugs (a lot depends on what brand was used) or bad COPs. Might be an intermittent crank sensor, perhaps a restricted fuel filter.

Based on how your question was posed, it appears likely that you are unfamiliar with this system and are most likely lacking the needed diagnostic tools. Referring the diagnosis to a capable mechanic would be in your best interest unless you are willing to invest time into learning how to diagnose the system and money for acquiring the proper test equipment. If you.re up to it, plent of help is available here.

Steve
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” - Mark Twain
Old 03-23-2008, 04:50 PM
New User

sharpcar is starting off with a positive reputation.
your truck has one coil per cylinder sounds like one or two coils are going,you mentioned you changed plugs?what kind of plugs did you put in and where they gapped or pregapped?and i really do hope you installed original motorcraft plugs?
Old 03-23-2008, 08:32 PM
New User

P95Loser is starting off with a positive reputation.
I Purchased the car with the previous owner (a friend of mine) telling me he had them replaced so I don't know. That is why I didn't know that the truck didn't have a distributor. I have worked on a 4.6 F150, but not one of these.With a 3 month old, I don't have time to mess around with this... I think I'm gonna just take it to a mechanic.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:51 PM
New User

sharpcar is starting off with a positive reputation.
basicly the 4.6 does have coils but 2 what i would call 4packs?each of the 4.6 coils controls 4 cyl.bue the 5.4 has one coil per cylinder?now keep in mind previous owner did tune up a year ago but if he was really beating on it it could be tune up time again,and maybe he didnt use the original plugs,so i would change plugs first,while your there check every coils connection,make sure the two wires goin in coil are not broken and that the pigtail is not broken either,take out each coil check the boots,cause if it has a cracked boot that could be the problem?after changin plugs if shes still running bad and the check engine light is still flashig ?you might wanna try to un plug coil by coil while shes running and the coil that you unplug and shes still running the same that could be the bad coil givin u ur nitemare?good luck???
Old 03-23-2008, 09:51 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > Expedition & Navigator

Tags
2003, 97, 98, bad, blinking, check, engine, expedition, f150, flash, flashing, ford, light, pickup, plugs, service, spark