Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 1997 - 2003 F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-01-2008, 07:13 PM
Former Vendor

FTE/PARTS-GUY has a great reputation on FTE.FTE/PARTS-GUY has a great reputation on FTE.FTE/PARTS-GUY has a great reputation on FTE.FTE/PARTS-GUY has a great reputation on FTE.FTE/PARTS-GUY has a great reputation on FTE.
not to bad coast to coast for UPS.

Ed
Old 04-21-2008, 07:18 PM
Senior User

jimm66 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thumbs up

Thanks to everyone for all the good info. Sunday it was about 68 here so I changed out the carrier. Not a bad job at all. The hardest part was handling the spare. 2 - 1/2 inch self tapping bolts and it's done.
The new one turns real easy. The slot for the jack handle was all rounded out on the old one. Thanx again. Also good time to check air pressure.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:30 AM
New User

sire3296 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Mine is broken as well. How do you get the guide shaft apart from the wench thats mounted. I took off the two bolts but cant get the unit out because the guide shaft is still connected.
Old 04-25-2008, 01:28 PM
Senior User

I used a screwdriver and pried it off. There is 2 tabs that go into slots. Look at the new part for reference. I bent and tore the plastic a little but it still slid on the new carrier.
Old 04-25-2008, 03:05 PM
New User

sire3296 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks! It came right off. I just wasnt pulling hard enough. I was being careful not wanting to break anything.
Old 04-25-2008, 03:23 PM
Senior User

I know I had the same thought. I tore the plastic a little but I think it will stay on. Glad to help you out. Like I said before the hardest part is handling the wheel.
Old 03-19-2009, 07:57 PM
New User

Mike Hazen is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thumbs up Spare Tire Protector

I bought a spare tire protector for $50.00 made for vehicles that
have spare tires that are under the vehicle - SUV, Vans, Trucks

Contact Spare Protector Enterprises and get your spare tire protected.

248 880-1014
Old 03-20-2009, 04:54 AM
Senior User

vze2sgxa is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hazen View Post
I bought a spare tire protector for $50.00 made for vehicles that
have spare tires that are under the vehicle - SUV, Vans, Trucks

Contact Spare Protector Enterprises and get your spare tire protected.

248 880-1014
Mike, does that tire protector trap moisture on the rim and tire? Shouldn't it have small drain holes? I just pulled my spare two months ago and used it when I had a flat, and in the process (because I hadn't had the spare off in three years) that the rim had some rust on it, so I removed the rust and spot painted several sections. Also noticed (and repaired) the area where the tire touches the underbody had some rust. I am wondering if closing off the air to that area with the protector would accelerate corrosion. What has been your experience on the test vehicles?
Old 03-23-2009, 04:27 AM
Senior User

Wondering if anybody has used this plastic spare tire cover?
Old 03-23-2009, 09:54 AM
New User

Mike Hazen is starting off with a positive reputation.
Spare Tire Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by vze2sgxa View Post
Mike, does that tire protector trap moisture on the rim and tire? Shouldn't it have small drain holes? I just pulled my spare two months ago and used it when I had a flat, and in the process (because I hadn't had the spare off in three years) that the rim had some rust on it, so I removed the rust and spot painted several sections. Also noticed (and repaired) the area where the tire touches the underbody had some rust. I am wondering if closing off the air to that area with the protector would accelerate corrosion. What has been your experience on the test vehicles?
The Spare Protector has 4 drain holes to prevent moisture build-up.
On these vehicles we have seen no increase in corrosion - in fact it decreased since you are protecting the rim from all the road grim.
There is no protection that can protect these spare 100 % from corrosion
we have seen some pretty BAD looking spare tire because on their exposure. But with this protector in place at least you will certainly extend the life of these spare tires. Every year these need to be dropped and review to make sure that they will be functional when required. So many times I hear issues that they get a flat tire and they can't get the tire down and when they get the spare finally removed from the frame it also flat. Some cases we have heard that the spare tire was not even their! It had fallen off the vehicle and they were not even aware that this has happened. Bad design by OEM's - best bet is to have them in the bed - not under the vehicle.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:47 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hazen View Post
The Spare Protector has 4 drain holes to prevent moisture build-up.
On these vehicles we have seen no increase in corrosion - in fact it decreased since you are protecting the rim from all the road grim.
There is no protection that can protect these spare 100 % from corrosion
we have seen some pretty BAD looking spare tire because on their exposure. But with this protector in place at least you will certainly extend the life of these spare tires. Every year these need to be dropped and review to make sure that they will be functional when required. So many times I hear issues that they get a flat tire and they can't get the tire down and when they get the spare finally removed from the frame it also flat. Some cases we have heard that the spare tire was not even their! It had fallen off the vehicle and they were not even aware that this has happened. Bad design by OEM's - best bet is to have them in the bed - not under the vehicle.

Thanks, Mike, that info certainly helps, I'll probably pick one of those covers up for my truck. Makes sense to protect it. I agree you wouldn't be able to prevent all the corrosion, but it would definitely (by the looks of its design) keep a majority of the salt and mud off of it. Thanks again.
Old 03-24-2009, 02:44 AM
Senior User

skidmarks82 is starting off with a positive reputation.
NinjaBot004
i was going 75 and mine fell off just after about 8 cars just passed me and it was like a week after i bought it, made the dealer replace it. glad it didnt hit any one
Old 11-29-2009, 01:15 PM
New User

topo is starting off with a positive reputation.
Faulty spare tire cable

Yes i too had the cable break and tire came out from under the truck and sent cars following me in all directions someone could have been hurt badly. I removed the elavator from under my truck and disassembled it and found all of the "PLASTIC" gears striped and the cable wedge broken. I have tried several times to purchase a used one but to no avail, all scrap yards sell them as fast as they recieve them because there such a call for them. I find it hard to believe that FORD would make this unit as cheaply as the one i found under my truck way to go FORD!!!!
Old 12-20-2009, 11:11 AM
Senior User

skidmarks82 is starting off with a positive reputation.
NinjaBot004
yep! 1st week i ownd my truck the spare fell out and almost caused huge accident flying across lanes . i had that fixed for free. wow im smart i didnt notice i already posted comment ha!
2000 f150 4x4, ,S&B cai, hedman headers, magnaflow high flow cats to single3" magnaflow to dual 2.5, shift kit, yellow top, alpine cdmp3,kinenetic 600 farrad cap,0g wire,6,000watt demon amp, soundstream 5000watt amp, 5000watt HCCA12.2, 20" structure wheels w/nitto 33-12.5, 4" blocks cranked torsions. gettin all them to work right PRICELESS...BRAND NEW 5.4!!! Accel coils n Accel 24lb injectors, dorman intake
Old 12-20-2009, 11:11 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 1997 - 2003 F150

Tags
1999, 1a131, cable, crank, f150, ford, holds, jack, lift, parts, replacement, snapped, spare, tire, winch