Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-22-2008, 03:31 PM
Elder User

1994diesel is starting off with a positive reputation.
weird batch of bio

ive been experimenting with stuff to make methoxide, and i used some sort of draino and traxxas rc car fuel(methanol with some crap in it) and got some weird stuff on the bottom of my bio, its about as dark as maple syrup, and the bio is about as dark as apple juice, oh and im doing the dr.peper style of making it, ... im new to this so any help is appriciated, thanks,

it has been washed once, and i think i did it right...Click the image to open in full size.

94 F-250 Turbo Diesel, 7.3L IDI, E4od, 4x4, long bed, ext cab, pyrometer, ATS boost gauge, IP turned up 2 flats, Straight pipe

93 F-250, 7.3L IDI, E4OD, 4X4, long bed, ext cab, straight pipe... almost.

Last edited by 1994diesel; 03-22-2008 at 03:33 PM. Reason: add more info
Old 03-22-2008, 10:07 PM
Postmaster

Rushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud of
RC fuel has nitromethane and oils in it along with the methanol. might be getting some other precipitates setting out. how long has it set? I had to let mine mine set a couple days before all the glycerine settled out. decant the stuff off the bottom and try washing it and see if it clears up....
Trent - 2003 Excursion (Eddie Bauer) 4X4, 7.3, Hellvig antisway bar, 6637 intake mod, 4" MBRP w/ 5" tip, DP tuner, IH up-pipes, redhead steering box, 6.0 trans cooler, ISSPRO & Aeroforce gauges in A-pillar, Wicked Wheel, "Bullet Proof" Transmission rebuilt by Rapid Diesel, extra leaf spring added all around, more to follow! Gone BIO!!!
2002 TDI New Beetle - also likes Bio.
Old 03-22-2008, 11:47 PM
Senior User

tradergem is starting off with a positive reputation.
1994diesel, CAUTION! You may have accidentaly created explosive salts by combining nitromethane with sodium or potassium hydroxide in the methoxide mix. According to the material safety data sheet at this link http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/n5740.htm it is possible to create explosive salts that are very sensitive to heat and pressure once dried. I hope someone on here that is a trained chemist will give a knowlegable opinion on this matter. Good luck. Jim
1990 F250 XLT 7.3L N/A E4OD 4X4 4:10 axle ratios
Old 03-23-2008, 12:31 AM
Elder User

1994diesel is starting off with a positive reputation.
oh wow!!! jeez i hope didnt, and i let it settle for a few days but the glycerin didnt solidify like it usually does it just turned into a weird chocolate substance... i am also letting it dry for a day in between washes, so i will try that, thanks guys for the help, i will be careful about what i do.

94 F-250 Turbo Diesel, 7.3L IDI, E4od, 4x4, long bed, ext cab, pyrometer, ATS boost gauge, IP turned up 2 flats, Straight pipe

93 F-250, 7.3L IDI, E4OD, 4X4, long bed, ext cab, straight pipe... almost.
Old 03-23-2008, 12:40 PM

fabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputation
Drano will not work properly. Drano contains Sodium Hydroxide, Sodium Nitrate, Sodium Chloride, and Aluminum!! Adding Methanol and Nitromethane can cause some nasty chemical compounds to form, including explosives.

Never, Never, Never use Drano!!!

What you should use for small batches is Red Devil Lye. Red Devil is pure Sodium Hydroxide. Nitromethane is a No,No too.

Please dispose of this hazardous mixture before someone gets hurt!!!

RIP Steve Price. A true friend and a tireless supporter of FTE
Old 03-23-2008, 12:40 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels