1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

engine problem

Old 03-22-2008, 02:14 PM
learpilot
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
engine problem

Hope this is not too far off base as it concerns the engine in my 1963 Galaxie 500xl which I restored last year. It is a "rebuilt" 390, that is I bought it as a rebuilt engine but when I started it up it had a pronounced click in the engine which was determined to to be a couple of bent push rods on the left side. These were replaced and every thing else that seemed to be needed was done. The problem is that ever since (and it only been 200- 300 miles) it smokes badly ( blue smoke for the left side exhaust-it has split dual exaust) and the inside of that tailpipe is coated with oil. Any ideas on what the likely problem might be? Thansk in advance for any help.

Old 03-22-2008, 02:19 PM
sparky
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My bet is valve seals or valve guides are worn on that cylinder bank.

Oh yeah could also be rings........ try a compression test wet and dry........

Old 03-22-2008, 02:21 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
If the valves on the left side hit the pistons at some point, it would ruin the guides and bend the pushrods. Could be related.

Old 03-22-2008, 03:08 PM
cool 48
Senior User
I was kind of thinking along the same lines there. If you had a couple of bent push rods on the left bank,and now the left bank is smoking, then I would bet the valves are bent. Jut my observation. Does it sputter a little on the left side ?

Old 04-08-2008, 01:59 PM
learpilot
Senior User
Just thought I would update you on this problem. Had the engine opened up and found that the engine had been stored after rebuilding and evidently had water in one of the pistons. That cylinder is pitted all the way down to the bottom and must be bored and resleeved. Of course the shop that did the work is out of business. Thanks for all your suggestions

Old 04-08-2008, 02:48 PM
Sandidande
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi Learpilot,

We are always happy to help out a foreigner in the forum. I'm not sure you knew this, but there is a dedicated forum just for FE engines at FTE. There is a lot of knowledge there too. I bounce back and forth because I have a 390 in my 51 F1.

Good luck with the rebuild and come back anytime!

PS. I'll post an FE 390 Pic for you as encouragement!

[/IMG]

Search this Thread