Excessive pinging (valve clatter) (Brian)

Old 03-21-2008, 07:08 PM
BlueOvalFitter
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Cool Excessive pinging (valve clatter) (Brian)

07 F150,4.2V6,16K miles
At cruising speeds between 60-70 mph my engine is pinging,and I mean pinging (valves clattering) steady! It stops when I release the gas pedal,but comes back steady while accelerating and cruising. (cruise control on)
I use a different brand name of gas each fill up (Chevron,Shell,BP) so I don't think it can be the gas.
Brian,has your 05 ever clattered like what i'm describing? If so,what did you do?
I just want to know if anyone else has had this problem so when I go to my Ford dealer I can prepare them for it!

Old 03-21-2008, 07:35 PM
FTE/PARTS-GUY
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
07 F150,4.2V6,16K miles
At cruising speeds between 60-70 mph my engine is pinging,and I mean pinging (valves clattering) steady! It stops when I release the gas pedal,but comes back steady while accelerating and cruising. (cruise control on)
I use a different brand name of gas each fill up (Chevron,Shell,BP) so I don't think it can be the gas.
Brian,has your 05 ever clattered like what i'm describing? If so,what did you do?
I just want to know if anyone else has had this problem so when I go to my Ford dealer I can prepare them for it!
maybe TSB 07-16-17

Ed

Old 03-22-2008, 12:16 AM
BrianA
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, I have slight pinging very often. By slight, I mean just audible above road noise w/ windows up and radio off.
It has done it since I bought it new and after 130,000 miles, it still does it and seems to have caused no harm.
Today's motors are tweeked to get the most possible out of 87 octane and that means some pinging is pretty common.
My 2000 did it also.

I realize this is all subjective, so it's hard for you to know what mine sounds like.
I guess you could have it checked, but I'll bet a dollar to a dime, they (Ford) will tell you there's nothing wrong.

What is you hiway mpg?

edit to add: pinging has long been called "valve clatter" but in fact the valves have nothing to do with it - at least not directly.
I trust the knock sensors to keep things in check. Seems to be working so far.
Over 300,000 combined miles on my 4.2s, both demonstrated slight pinging and neither ever showed any problems from it.

Last edited by BrianA; 03-22-2008 at 12:23 AM.
Old 03-23-2008, 06:51 PM
BlueOvalFitter
Cargo Master
Exclamation

Brian,i'm getting anywhere from 19.5 -20.3 mpg highway.I went to flatratetech.com and posted my q? there and they suggested running 89 to see if it helps.I'm still waiting on a reply as to if it does help,then what? Remember,i'm still under warranty (16k miles).

Old 03-24-2008, 08:17 AM
BrianA
Postmaster
If 89 octane stops the pinging then I'd guess it might be an issue related to ignition timing. Since you can't adjust it, it would require a re-flash of the computer. That is something Ford might do anyways based on your complaint and the fact that it is still under warranty.

The 3 biggest factors that come into play with pinging are:
a) fuel octane (which is actually a direct measurement of a fuel's ability to resist "knocking".
b) compression ratio
c) timing

We have to assume b) is not a factor so that leaves a) and c).

If you wind up having to address it with the Ford dealer, ask to take the Service Manager for a ride, demonstrate the problem, then ask to repeat the process in a different new truck like yours right off the lot.
If they are the same, then you'll know it is more than likely "normal" pinging.
If the new truck does not ping, then both you and the Service Manager will know it and you'd have a good point to argue from.

Please keep us posted.

Thanks.

edit: those are pretty good mpg numbers. If the pinging is sooo bad that the knock sensors are working overtime retarding the timing, power will suffer and, in theory at least, your mpg numbers will drop.

edit again: read your post and replies at FRTdotcom. The 3 items I listed above are for newer vehicles. High milegae vehicles can have carbon build up in the combustion chamber that provides localized hot-spots that can ignite the fuel-air mixture independent from the spark plug. When the flame fronts collide, a shock wave is created. That is what you hear when you hear pinging. (NOTE - this is different from detonation. Detonation can destroy an engine and is very rare in stock engines.)
In your case, I do not think you have problems already with carbon build up. And I doubt - but it's possible - you have EGR problems. Try the 89 octane and see what happens. Either way, if it stops it or it doesn't, if you continue to have the problem when you run 87 (OEM spec octane rating) then you are headed back to the Ford dealer. Keep us posted.

Last edited by BrianA; 03-24-2008 at 08:27 AM.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:58 AM
silentboom
New User
I have a 2007 F150 with a 4.2 and 7000 miles and mine is pinging exactly the same as yours. Highway speed is the most noticable, slight acceleration......constant ping or rattle sound. The manual says it's normal. It's very annoying for me.

Old 03-28-2008, 06:42 PM
BlueOvalFitter
Cargo Master
Exclamation

When I originally posted this thread,last Friday 3/21/08,I had already filled up with Chevron 87 regular unleaded.Three days later I went to Advance Auto and bought a bottle of Techron Concentrate Plus fuel system cleaner (12oz for 20 gallons). Well,it seemed to have helped,a little bit,but the pinging is still there.So,i'm going to fill up with Chevron 89 medium unleaded and post the results next Friday,4/4/08.

Old 03-31-2008, 02:46 PM
silentboom
New User
I tried a higher octane and it didn't help much, seems to ping less on rainy days, I guess the water vapor in the air helps. Just seems like the computer is not adjusting properly. Either a sensor or ford needs to do a better job on the programming.

Old 03-31-2008, 05:49 PM
BlueOvalFitter
Cargo Master
Angry

I decided to read my owners manual before filling with 89.I'm glad I did because the manual reads;"Your 2007 is made to run on 87 octane.There will be "some" slight pinging but if there is excessive pinging contact your local Ford dealer".
So,I will be contacting my local Ford dealer this coming Saturday.
Another issue has risen too;my catalytic converter on the passengers side is making a "loose rivet" vibration sound. And,its very annoying!

Old 03-31-2008, 10:04 PM
BrianA
Postmaster
Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
Another issue has risen too;my catalytic converter on the passengers side is making a "loose rivet" vibration sound. And,its very annoying!
Might be related. I'd for sure take it in to have it checked.

It's pretty rare on new trucks, but the guts of the converter can break and rattle around inside.
If you get a chance, slide under the truck and tap on the converters with a rubber mallet. You can ususlly tell pretty quick if one is broken inside.

Keep us posted.

Thanks!

Old 04-09-2008, 05:38 PM
BlueOvalFitter
Cargo Master
Exclamation

I went by my local Ford dealership today and talked to one of the senior techs I know.He said there is a TSB out on my engine which states the IMRC actuator rod bushings break and fall off,causing the IMRC runners to not open properly at upper rpms,which causes the excessive pinging! So,my truck goes to the dealer this Saturday morning to be fixed,hopefully!

Old 04-09-2008, 09:15 PM
5speed
Junior User
The pinging is annoying

Hey there. I have a 2001 f-150 Xl with the 4.2 Liter engine also, my truck has also been making a rattling ping noise. I bought my truck three years ago with the original warranty still intact. My truck started to make the noise about six months after i bought the truck, it seems to be coming from the driver side. I brought it into the dealership about six times over a three year period. The shop supervisor took the truck for a drive and heard the noise. They ended up changing the catalytic converter, removed rock from a heat shield underneath the truck. I picked up the truck and it was still making noise, the mechanic said the truck was fine. It only seems to make the noise at certain RMS while cruising and when on the highway also. It is annoying me and driving me crazy also. The truck has lots of power and runs fine, guess just have to turn the radio louder.

Old 04-12-2008, 05:56 PM
BlueOvalFitter
Cargo Master
Exclamation

Well,the EGR valve was bad.They replaced it and reflashed the computer.They could not get the catalytic converter to make the "rattle" noise.I'm due for an oil change in 1k miles so i'll leave it with them to let it cool down and they will check it then.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:22 AM
BrianA
Postmaster
Hey, glad you got it fixed and thanks much for posting back what was found!

Old 04-14-2008, 04:55 PM
BlueOvalFitter
Cargo Master
Exclamation

Originally Posted by BrianA
Hey, glad you got it fixed and thanks much for posting back what was found!
Well,I posted too early! Its still pinging! I went by the dealer today and the senior tech told me to bring it back;they are going to install the new updated IMRC bushings and a new MAF sensor.I'll reply back after I have put a few miles on it!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Excessive pinging (valve clatter) (Brian)