1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Chip Back... Still problems, thinking VB or TC??

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 05:32 PM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
c00n, slow shifts arn't the only problem, some are slow and some were so hard I thought I was going to snap a U-joint. they were all over the place. the only video where throttle was constant was the first one, where there was no chip. That was pretty close to floor. other 2 I for sure lifted subconsiously because I knew the shift was going to be bad, and I didn't want to damage trans. Now that Tony adjusted so it back to stock line pressures and shift points, I wouldn't worry as much about pushing it. But to answer your questions the shift points where all over the place in the other vids, so I probably lifted some.

-Robb

Old 03-22-2008, 05:36 PM
c00nhunterjoe
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ok, i look foreward to seeing a full throttle, no lifting video...lol

Old 03-22-2008, 05:41 PM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
I'll get one as soon as I get back up to NH and charge my camera LOL. Again thanks for baring with me here...And I really appreciate the help so far! Keep you guys updated and new bids soon

Old 03-22-2008, 05:48 PM
MADVAN
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Robbgt
Bill, how would I limp the trans to just drive around and see if it shifts hard, rule out trans issues like c00n was saying? or is that test not worth my time.
-Robb
It would somewhat be a waste without the gauge.
I would make a pass in normal mode (pcm controlled).
Then make a pass with EPC limp (max pressure).
If they are the same i would follow hydraulics. If not (higher in limp), follow
Electronics (pcm). For what we know now the pressures could be good and we are barking up the wrong tree.

To force a high line. The electrical ckt to the EPC has to be opened.
This will cause a high line and you still will have the VSS for speed inputs.

You just need a gauge with a 1/8 npt fitting for the trans. If you have to make a gauge up. Make it long enough to read while driving.

We are jumping the gun without a gauge.

Bill

Old 03-24-2008, 04:39 PM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Alright guys, here a new Vid. Chip on "daily" setting, foot almost to floorboards (no lifting this time). Notice it seems that the RPM's pull back before the shift, but there's actually something happening there (slipping etc, feels like coming from trans not loss of power) disconnected MAPP and same thing. Also, this happens anything over half throttle, so I can't imagine it's a TPS problem, because it happens even when my foots not all the way in it. I just don't think it's a power loss problem, even though if I were looking at the vid, I was say it looks like it. But if you drove the truck, where it (looses power) the trans is doing something...(locking unlocking tc????) I don't know... here is is for you to check out...

http://good-times.webshots.com/video/3067349670062074462jwhcuA

-Robb

Old 03-24-2008, 05:10 PM
c00nhunterjoe
Post Fiend
that video looks more like a low pressure during shifts concern. she's not giving either enough pressure or volume or both to hold the clutches applied during the shifts.

i am with madvan now, get a gauge, then we can see the pressures with the pcm controling it, then cause the limp mode and see what the pressures lok like

Old 03-24-2008, 05:15 PM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Ok, Joe, thanks for taking a look at it. So you don't think that is loss in power right?

How would I go about setting up a gauge? I could possibly do it this weekend if I have time. What parts Do I need?

Shoot while I was out there I should have pulled the VSS and took a vid, totally forgot about that. I can get another vid up of that on Wednesday if you think it will help.

-Robb

Old 03-24-2008, 06:59 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Sure looks like the tranny is slipping just before the shifts. Line pressure testing is certainly next!

Old 03-24-2008, 07:06 PM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Alright thanks Tim.
I Hate to dump my truck on someone as is, but looks like I may be letting go of it soon for something more efficient. Next year going to be making 750 Mile trips at least twice a month (just found out, literally 10 min ago...) and I just don't have the $$$ to keep truck around. If someone is interested PM me and we'll chat. Darn it! second diesel I've had and just started to get it where I like it and out the door...

Darn it! Really don't want to sell...

Maybe I should get a jetta with a diesel... Least I'll still have a diesel!!

-Robb

Old 03-24-2008, 07:20 PM
c00nhunterjoe
Post Fiend
gee, i might be interested in the tw chip.....
but i am more than willing to keep workin on the trans issue with you

Old 03-24-2008, 07:25 PM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Joe and all, thanks for the help so far... I apologize if I have wasted your time. Right now it's about 75% That I will have to do these trips next year. If I don't have to, I think I'll pursue the issue further. Joe if I end up selling truck locally, the chip won't be going with you so I'll be in touch.

I'll Know in a week if this is 100% or not, and we'll go from there. Little upset about all of this, but i just can't flip the bill for that much diesel. Again thanks for the help guys. Let you know ASAP what the heck is going on...

-Robb

Old 03-24-2008, 07:27 PM
Action4478
Hotshot
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by tjbeggs
Sure looks like the tranny is slipping just before the shifts. Line pressure testing is certainly next!
Thats what I thought .....

Old 03-24-2008, 07:28 PM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
If it's slipping... That mean rebuild time? I talked to a guy today (before all this other stuff happened) and he said about 2K for a rebuild. Has done E4OD's on diesels before. Thats price with converter. Sound about right? has a 2yr 24,000 mile warrenty also

-Robb

Old 03-24-2008, 07:31 PM
c00nhunterjoe
Post Fiend
hard to say, if the clutches are slipping because they are worn then yes, but if they are slipping because your epc is messed up then probably not, that is what the pressure gauge and then limp mode testing is for

Old 03-24-2008, 07:34 PM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
alright Wednesday I'll disconnect the VSS and make another run just a a quick reference point. although the speedo will be dead, least we can look at RPM's. Then if I know what going on with this other situation, I'll have you guys walk me through gauge. Gosh I hope I don't have to do these trips. Pulling for sale out of my sig, just bad omen right now...

Joe, if it is epc issue, and since tony re-adjusted to stock line pressure and paramaters, this would mean what steps have to be taken to fix issue? Those internals you were talking about the other day? Sorry like I had said, trans is the one thing I wish that I knew more about...

-Robb

Quick Reply: Chip Back... Still problems, thinking VB or TC??