2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Truck is on Short Notice

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 02:28 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
My Truck is on Short Notice

I swore it wouldn't happen to me, but it's coming. My wife came back from the Doc today and somehow I'm going to have twins. I swear they ain't mine. But anyways, with 1 kid already, and 2 coming, I think the F-150's days are numbered. I think I can sqeeze 3 carseats in the backseat, but have no practical experience.

So, can it be done. And safely? The outer seats have the tether system, and I can put the oldest in the middle (booster, she is 4), but should I? I really love my truck, but I can't afford her and a new "big" car either.

So now the wife and I get to go shopping for Expy's and Tahoes. I can probably get a brand new Expy for under $40k with all the bells and whistles, but those stinking Tahoes are about $45k with the features I'm after

Old 03-21-2008, 03:45 AM
XolieX
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i feel ya man! i hope i don't have 2 more kids!

Old 03-21-2008, 07:25 AM
SDTruckMan
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by tylus
I think I can sqeeze 3 carseats in the backseat, but have no practical experience.
Congratulations!!!!
Just do like the beverly hillbillys, and throw'em in the back on chairs !!!!

Old 03-21-2008, 07:33 AM
F0rdzTuff
Elder User
Honestly, they might fit. Can't say for sure, but give it a shot.

Old 03-21-2008, 08:46 AM
BrianFX4
Senior User
I honestly think that if you put the booster in the middle it might work. I have two kids in car seats myself and I was looking at how much room is still between the seats and I think a booster would fit. It is worth a try. I'm not sure if you have a "Babies R Us" where you live but if you do they will let you take a seat out and try it before you buy it...at least the one by my house let us.

Old 03-21-2008, 08:50 AM
wolfman01
Senior User
I swore it wouldn't happen to me, but it's coming. My wife came back from the Doc today and somehow I'm going to have twins. I swear they ain't mine. But anyways, with 1 kid already, and 2 coming, I think the F-150's days are numbered. I think I can sqeeze 3 carseats in the backseat, but have no practical experience.

So, can it be done. And safely? The outer seats have the tether system, and I can put the oldest in the middle (booster, she is 4), but should I? I really love my truck, but I can't afford her and a new "big" car either.

So now the wife and I get to go shopping for Expy's and Tahoes. I can probably get a brand new Expy for under $40k with all the bells and whistles, but those stinking Tahoes are about $45k with the features I'm after

Keep your truck, and get a retired P71 Crown Victoria. They're cheap, reliable as gravity, will haul the family, plus three or four dead bodies in the trunk, and get 27mpg on the highway at 55 mph.

Old 03-21-2008, 08:50 AM
fordman85
New User
i have 3 kids a 3 year old boy and twin girls that are 2 and i have no problem fiiting them all in there safely i have a an 04screw good luck

Old 03-21-2008, 08:51 AM
SDTruckMan
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by BrianFX4
I honestly think that if you put the booster in the middle it might work. I have two kids in car seats myself and I was looking at how much room is still between the seats and I think a booster would fit. It is worth a try. I'm not sure if you have a "Babies R Us" where you live but if you do they will let you take a seat out and try it before you buy it...at least the one by my house let us.
Yeah, then get yourself a topper for the bed (for all the kid stuff) and youve got yourself your tahoe/expy, plus you could take the topper off if need be.
If that doesnt work then worry about getting something else.

Old 03-21-2008, 08:54 AM
scottie2hottie
Postmaster
Talking

eh surely the wifey has a soccer mom vehicle, right? Keep the truck if you love it, If all five of you need to go somewhere jump in her vehicle. When you have all the kiddies and gots to take the truck put the babies in the back and the toddler in the front, that's why you can turn the airbag off, so you can put a carseat/child in the front seat. At least both my 01 and 02 trucks have that intended purpose. Congratulations BTW.

On Edit: You won't have too much more, if any more room in a tahoe or expy than your supercrew. Both of those are 5 seaters, like your truck. Granted my 96 is a probably a little bigger than yours, but it has MORE room than any SUV except suburbans/excursions. We comfortably take 6 adults(large adults too, I am 6'2" 280 and my brother is 6'5 260)

Old 03-21-2008, 09:40 AM
northernowl
Senior User
You should have plenty of room, I've fit 3 booster seats in the back of mine, You'll just have to make sure the one in the middle get in and buckles before you put the twins in.

Old 03-21-2008, 11:34 AM
duste
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know mt 06 S/crew has 3 tether's for baby seats so I would think it would work , but I'm no expert as I have no kids, and not having any. So it's either make it work or good bye F150---------Hello mini Van, sorry.But that should be enough incentive to find away to do it.

Old 03-21-2008, 09:46 PM
boots6868
Elder User

Tylus don't fret it we have 3 grandchildren all needing carseats I used my brother inlaws 05 screw to take the little darlings camping and pull the camper too. we bought the eddie bauer car seats and they all 3 lined up nice and I thought rather safely also. But the noise from back there!! I wished after 50 miles we had the roll up window dividing the front and back. Congrats on the new addition to your family. I think being a young man with 3 little ones your gonna need that 150 to buy lumber for a play center and such. you will definately miss your truck man

Old 03-22-2008, 04:23 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
thanks for the replies. yep, a topper is coming this October. I'm going with the Bak-Flip

I borrowed 1 kid from each of my neighbors and y'all are right. three seats will fit just fine...well it isn't fun buckeling them anyways.

I love my truck, but I will go bonkers if I have to listen to 3 kids duking it out back there. 1 kid tests my threshold right now. I'm particularly interested in the Expy/Tahoe that have a 2nd row bucket seats and 3rd row bench.

We'll see what is on the horizon. I'm keeping the truck until this time next year at a minimum. I may be able to keep her and get a nice Expy also...just ditch the Mustang

Originally Posted by duste
Hello mini Van, sorry.But that should be enough incentive to find away to do it.
NO, I'll walk before I buy a Minivan

Originally Posted by scottie2hottie
eh surely the wifey has a soccer mom vehicle, right?

that's why you can turn the airbag off, so you can put a carseat/child in the front seat.
actually, the truck is the "Soccer Mom" vehicle. we originally went to buy a Expy, but thought it drove like a boat. I forced her to drive the F-150 and it came home with us that night. I get to drive a Mustang GT as "my" car. But she lets me mod the truck

how do you turn off the front airbag? I know the 97-03 models had that little key switch, but the 04+ don't

Old 03-22-2008, 06:44 AM
duste
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
[ how do you turn off the front airbag? I know the 97-03 models had that little key switch, but the 04+ don't[/QUOTE]

The 04 and up turn the Pass side bag on and off automatically, there are weight sensors in the seat , and they don't arm the airbag till a certain weight is exceeded.
You could always cap the 150 and bolt down a couple rows of bus seats in the back, cool in the winter but that'll tuffen them up a bit.

Old 03-22-2008, 10:51 AM
FTE Trigger
Postmaster

I borrowed 1 kid from each of my neighbors and y'all are right. three seats will fit just fine...well it isn't fun buckeling them anyways.

I love my truck, but I will go bonkers if I have to listen to 3 kids duking it out back there. 1 kid tests my threshold right now. I'm particularly interested in the Expy/Tahoe that have a 2nd row bucket seats and 3rd row bench.
...Maybe its time to invest in a couple of replacement DVD playing headrests too.
Just a suggestion... .....Congrats!