Kansas Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: Flip4ford

Need your input about guns

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 09:16 PM
fordnut1985
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Need your input about guns

Ok guys, after a string of stupid things goin on around the house here lately the wife is rather scared to be at home at night if I'm not there. Between her ex-husband and local hoodlums causing problems It makes me worry too. We have Buddy our Rottie and he is very protective of her I still don't feel comfortable about her bieng home alone at night while I'm off at a g2g or something. My theory has always been "fight crime....shoot back" But I have 4 kids here that didn't grow up around guns like I did. I have a small arsenal of guns at my parents house that I won't bring down here just for that reason. But then there is the idea of gun safes and gun locks but then again they will slow you down in the event that something happens, and if she is really scared she will have a hard time fumbling with a gun lock. Then there is the thought of collateral damage to someone in the house or a neighbor, Jack and I have talked about this and he mentioned rounds reffered to as "hydroshocks" that "bleed off" most of there energy in a short distance minimizing the chance of going thru 2 walls and fatally injuring someone. Then there is the question of how big, I have a glock 22 (.45 ACP) but it might be more gun than she can effectivly handle. However most PD's have stepped up to the .40 or .45 glock for the simple reason that a 9mm won't always stop a crackhead. Then there is the thought of a shotgun, I have never owned or even shot a shot gun before but for home defence it might be a good idea.

I just don't know guys, what are your opinions, should I even consider having a gun in the house with the kids?? I couldn't live with myself if there was an accident and they got shot, but then again it's my job to do everything I can to protect them.

Old 03-20-2008, 09:37 PM
fordboy_52
Lead Driver
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
sounds like u need to move........

Old 03-20-2008, 10:42 PM
mmckee
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Move is 1 option yes, Take the wife to a gun shop or gun show, handle ones that look to be a good fit, I got my wife a Walther P22 & it is on standby when needed. more on this when you get her one. If we have a meet & I get to make it I can bring some show & tell.

Old 03-20-2008, 11:19 PM
fordnut1985
Postmaster
Originally Posted by fordboy_52
sounds like u need to move........
Acctually the neighbor hood is really nice, there is just 2-3 kids that cause problems. But here awhile back I went out to start my truck before work and noticed a car at the corner with its lights ON, didn't think much of it. Fired up the truck and the car turned down the access road to my back yard, "hmm, maybe he is lost" I thought. So I grabed the trusty mag light and started walking around back. About then he backed into the corner of my yard (big yard) and shut his lights off, well this got my attention!! So I snuck around along side the shed and started my way to his car, I lit him up with the mag light and he gunned it right for me!! I side stepped and smashed his passenger window with my mag light. It really bothers me cuz if I would have left for work 1 min. early or late I wouldn't have seen him and I don't know what his intentions were. I still sit and think about it alot, what would have happened if I didn't see him? what was he planning on doing? It would have been just my wife and daughters alone if I wasn't there.

The walther P22 or 38 are both good "girl" weapons, not to be sexist but we are built different. But do they have the stopping power you need?

The main question is would you risk having a gun in the house with kids.

Old 03-20-2008, 11:27 PM
fordboy_52
Lead Driver
how old are the kids we are talking about

Old 03-20-2008, 11:30 PM
HappyJack
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Man typed out a reply and it somehow got lost. I'll try again.

It is a complex issue. But if Lynn decides to get a handgun you might consider a concelled carry permit. That way she would get some training and could keep it with her most of the time.

I think education is the key and everyone should receive firearm safety education. Took both of my boys shootin with me when they were young. Garrett didn't want to go or shoot then but I made him go. I didn't make him shoot but I did make him set through the firearm safety part and watch the guns being fired. A big difference from what they see on TV.

The ammo is Glaser Safety Slugs. They have a paper thin jacket filled with #9 shot and the top is capped with plastic. They are great for home defense. I would research them for CC though. They are expensive at about $5 each round. I have some if you'd like to see them.

Most pistol ranges rent guns and you can try out different ones before you buy. They also have safety classes and hunter safety. Even if you don't have a gun in the house it might not be a bad idea to educate everyone. In case they are around a gun and your not there.

Your welcome to shoot anything I have. I don't have any semi auto pistols. I just have revolvers. But I'd be glad to go out with you and your family and do some basic firearm safety.

I also have reloading equipment. If you guys decide to start shootin it really saves the $$$'s. And if you'd like to do Cowboy Action Shootin your welcome to use the irons I have. It's a good way to keep gun and safety habits sharp.

Old 03-21-2008, 12:23 AM
fordnut1985
Postmaster
Are there any pistol ranges here in town?? Be nice to take her and let her run thru a clip and see what she thought. Jon is 18 and spends most of his time at grandmas house, the girls are 16-17 and have never been around guns and are kinda scared of them which can be really bad. And Benny is 10, he is the one that I worry about, don't get me wrong he is a great kid and listens well but there is still that chance that curiosity will get the best of him. However I think Jack brings up a great point, take him down and get him some safety training (although he is probly too young) They might let him into the class but for sure they won't let him fire anything.

This is what makes me worry, when I was his age I was plinkin around with .22's for years and had a firm understanding that what came out of the other end would kill someone. He hasn't had that, all he knows is what he sees on TV.

When we get to Wyoming this summer I think I will take her out to the range and let her fire a few of mine. Start her out with the little .22 mag, then dad's beretta 9mm, then she can try the Glock and if she makes it that far she can put a few rounds thru the .357

Old 03-21-2008, 12:55 AM
HappyJack
Lead Driver
There are two ranges in town. One up near 13th and Oliver and the other near Pawnee and Meridian.

You'll need eye and ear protection. I have extras if ya need them.

Old 03-21-2008, 01:26 AM
HappyJack
Lead Driver
Here is some Hunter safety links: http://www.kdwp.state.ks.us/news/oth...nter_education
http://www.kdwp.state.ks.us/news/oth...ucation/hunter

Looks like Benny can take a hunter safety course but to be certified he will have to take the course after he turns 11.

I took the boys out when Garrett was about Benny's age or younger. If they see proper safety and the proper respect and feel the concussion when the gun fires, curiosity is no longer there. They know then what the gun will do. Even if they don't shoot.

Old 03-21-2008, 01:55 AM
masterglaizer
New User
Red face

Originally Posted by fordnut1985
Acctually the neighbor hood is really nice, there is just 2-3 kids that cause problems. But here awhile back I went out to start my truck before work and noticed a car at the corner with its lights ON, didn't think much of it. Fired up the truck and the car turned down the access road to my back yard, "hmm, maybe he is lost" I thought. So I grabed the trusty mag light and started walking around back. About then he backed into the corner of my yard (big yard) and shut his lights off, well this got my attention!! So I snuck around along side the shed and started my way to his car, I lit him up with the mag light and he gunned it right for me!! I side stepped and smashed his passenger window with my mag light. It really bothers me cuz if I would have left for work 1 min. early or late I wouldn't have seen him and I don't know what his intentions were. I still sit and think about it alot, what would have happened if I didn't see him? what was he planning on doing? It would have been just my wife and daughters alone if I wasn't there.

The walther P22 or 38 are both good "girl" weapons, not to be sexist but we are built different. But do they have the stopping power you need?

The main question is would you risk having a gun in the house with kids.
YES!!! i was raised with guns around the house and my dad started teaching me about them when i was 5 or 6 yo. I now have a wife and 2 daughters and 1 shotgun that i have had since i was 10 and a rifle and several handguns. my daughters are 1 and 3 and i live in a really good neighborhood but no matter where u live s**t happens. i read about it in the newspaper every day, drug busts in the high class part of town, car jacking, drive by shootings, all kinds of stuff can happen just about anywhere. so i say very emphaticly yes keep a gun, it dosent nessesarly have to always be loaded, most crooks(around here anyway) see the barrel of a gun will turn and run while leaving a pile in their pants.just teach ur 10 yo to respect the gun, keep it in a place where he can't get it but ur wife can if she feels threatned.

Old 03-21-2008, 04:13 AM
Flip4ford
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts
I have a nice and cheap single shot 20 guage. You know when its loaded and it is easy to figure out - no pumps, no wondering how many shots are in there, as the song goes.. Click click boom. A hand gun might not be seen over a long distance in the dark, but a shot gun is un mistakeable. Not good for long distance, but you aren't really looking for a kill, just to scare somone away, and alert neighbors. A good loud shotgun blast will do just that.

A good gun safe should have an eletronic lock with a simple combo, she wouldn't have a problem with that in an emergency.

Thanks for putting the new sliding rear window in BTW.

Yard lights, driveway alert, and some outdoor lights will go along way to deter most people, two poles and a cable/chain will keep people out of your yard, and the hoodlum will get caught sooner or later.

PS I have an outdoor camera, just one so far.

Old 03-21-2008, 10:14 AM
husker
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts
I have always had guns around Duane and let my girls start shooting them when they were young (7-8 years old or when they asked). That took the mystery out of them and also helped them understand proper gun safety. I would get them into a hunter safety course and also allow them to learn to shoot if they are interested. 4-H also has a shooting program with BB guns that is open to kids that teaches proper shooting techniques. You might check with the local county extension office office to see if it is offered.

Firearm recommendations, if your wife and family don't shoot much or have much experience, I'd stick with something simple, like a 38/357 revolver or a shot gun. I'd be inclined to look at a pump because you have more than one round. Also, if someone is in the house and hears a round being jacked into the chamber that is one scary sound. I'd probably go with a 20 guage, just for learning because of lighter recoil. Also, light shot is probably effective for home defense and doesn't penetrate walls as easy as some heavier shot.

My son in law who is a police office took my daughter and a couple of her novice female friends to the range with a bunch of his pistols a couple of weeks ago and they had a great time shooting. He also, commented that they all shot as well as some of the officers on the force, they just weren't as fast on follow up. The three women all enjoyed shooting.

If I were you, I'd try to arrange for them to do some shooting before bringing firearms into the house.

Old 03-21-2008, 10:45 AM
fordboy_52
Lead Driver
i agree, there is one way you MIGHT be able to make them understand how dangerous they are, get them into hunters safety, and take other classes. As well as let them shoot the guns (propperly)

Old 03-21-2008, 10:48 AM
tim.moman
Elder User
The gun plan is good and I support that direction. Carrying a gun around has its challenges and she must be prepared mentally to take someones life or the gun can be more harmfull than good. So consider that carefully as you move forward.

You mentioned a dog. A rottie in fact. This may be your best tool for giving the wife comfort and safety in a realtime basis. I have had great success with schutzhund protection training. Giving the dog a duty/purpose and knowledge of how to do that job will make them much happier and a better companion as well. they are taught to defend (not guard dog crap) So learn to stay close and defend against the attacker. I had one boxer (lost her) that proved several times that she knew her job. Gave the wife (at the time) confidence as well since she could control the dog with simple commands. That dog was exceptional and would automatically set to protect any children or gals she saw as being threatened. Best people pet I have ever had. Sure do miss her. Again control is paramount. The dog has a job and will do it well if they know how.

Not a very good example as this site appears to be more for show and those who want make a life of it. But has some good info.
http://www.schutzhund-training.com/

Old 03-21-2008, 04:22 PM
fordnut1985
Postmaster
Thanks for all you input guys, I think when we go to Wyo I will take her out and see what she thinks.

The dog could use some trianing, ever since we got him he has been very attached to her. A couple years ago she had a mild heart attack here at the house and when the ambulance guys were carrying her out Buddy seen them holding her thru the glass door and let me tell you, his barking/snarling fit scared ME, and he was pouncing on the glass so they had to hurry incase he broke the door. He plays pretty rough with me and has drew blood on numurous occasions and has left a few scars, I would hate to see what he could do to someone if was serious about it. HOWEVER, this brings up another point, in todays society someone can break into the house and if the dog bites them they could sue, and with all the hype about aggresive dogs he would be put down because apperently I have the right to defend my home and familly but my dog doesn't.

BTW, here is Buddy and the wifey