Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-19-2008, 10:39 PM
Senior User

John with beastly 302 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Question Bio Diesel Concerns

Well from my 2 years of diesel mechanic experience I have seen some interesting results of running Bio. Now there were a couple of guys that were running What I think was Bio but I am not sure if they were actually making bio diesel or just running filtered WVO. Any way on guy was running a GM 6.5 and the other guy was running a IDI 7.3. They must of went through 2 injections pumps each. They had all the heaters and even a preheater 2" before the inlet to the INj pump. I was told by our local Injection Pump Rebuilder that Bio is to thick for these rotary pumps but it is okay for pumps like the ones on the older mercedes because they are lubricated from engine oil also?

So my question, is it really wise to run bio on a engine that has a fuel system that was engineered to run on diesel. Obviously the basics of the diesel engine alow us to run BIO but I'm slightly concerned with our fuel systems with tighter clearances that were engineered for Diesel.

So the owners manual for my 05 6.0 says I can run up to 5% bio B5, I have read that some are actually running up to B20. I'm just concerened about really fouling u a $50,000 truck. And If I made my Bio and only mixed it at 5% would I really be saving any $ after purchasing a processing kit?

RIP 94' F-150 4X2 5.0 MAF 4R70W Super Cab Shorty Green W/ tan accent 2" front lift Flowmaster 40 3-20-94 to 6-8-05 First truck and I hit a bridge reaching for the cellular
Old 03-19-2008, 10:44 PM
Posting Guru

kennedyford is starting off with a positive reputation.
They were running veggie oil if its thick with heaters.

Biodiesel is a direct replacement for dino fuel. 6.4 do not like bio because its got too much oxygen and throws some sensors off. You have to mix it up a lil.

6.0 love running it just fine.

Do not confuse veggie with biodiesel.

Biodiesel will disolve the old seales from pumps and orings on the older diesel without viton seals. Like disolves like qualities. There are kits to change that.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:29 AM

fabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputation
Two things come to mind. If the trucks had fuel heating systems they were most likely using WVO. Using a heated WVO system works OK as long as you prepare the WVO properly. It must be filtered very well, and ALL water removed or it will cause problems.

If they were using biodiesel and heating it that will cause oxidation and polymerization of the bio which would cause IP failure.

RIP Steve Price. A true friend and a tireless supporter of FTE
Old 03-20-2008, 11:27 AM
Elder User

tazo is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabmandelux
Two things come to mind. If the trucks had fuel heating systems they were most likely using WVO. Using a heated WVO system works OK as long as you prepare the WVO properly. It must be filtered very well, and ALL water removed or it will cause problems.

If they were using biodiesel and heating it that will cause oxidation and polymerization of the bio which would cause IP failure.
So what do guys do that want to run B100 in the winter? It gets down to mid to low 20's F here in the winter at the coldest so I have been mixing to B50 and have had no problems. I would like to run B100 with heaters but if it causes problems maybe it's just safer to stay with b50. I buy my bio and splash mix it with dino diesel so I really don't want to start mixing different ingredients in the tank. Thoughts?
1999 EB expedition (Wife's)
Old 03-20-2008, 02:37 PM
Posting Guru

Phydeaux88 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Phydeaux88 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Don't run B100 in the winter use B80 or B50 depending on temps expected.
Old 03-20-2008, 02:41 PM

fabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputation
I live along the Columbia River where it gets down to about 0 MOST years. I've been running B-80 for four years with no problems. I blend and run my B-80 from early Oct - Late Feb.

RIP Steve Price. A true friend and a tireless supporter of FTE
Old 03-20-2008, 03:05 PM
Elder User

Thanks Guys! Since spring time is here I think it's time to start adding more bio on each tank. It was 32 deg f this morning but I think it is the end of the cold season. The owner/manufacturer of the bio station I get my bio from said to use b50 to b75 till it warms up. I hear about guys using b100 in cold climates year round and I was just wondering how they do it or if they are just full of it.
Old 03-20-2008, 05:49 PM
Senior User

6.0superduty is starting off with a positive reputation.
Whats the best way to blend? Just pump the bio and the #2 into the tank and drive? Or do they need to be mixed together with heat before it goes into the trucks tank? Thanks

Kyle
remote start
5" lift with 35's
traction bars
4" MBRP turbo back straight piped to 6" single stack
some other pullin goodies
Old 03-20-2008, 05:56 PM
Super Moderator

monsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputation
splash mixing works just fine for biodiesel (just pump it in) thats all I do when I don't want to run at 100% just add in the bio I want then go fil it up or go add whatever D2 then come home and dump in the bio

RIP Steve Bricks. FTE will not be teh same.

Will be forever glad to have had the privilage to shake your hand and BS in person.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:02 PM
Elder User

From what I have learned bio is heavier than dino diesel. So I fill with #2 first and then with bio. Maybe it makes no difference?
Old 03-20-2008, 06:02 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels