Old 06-18-2008, 06:19 PM
lowell75
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 06-18-2008, 09:06 PM
twtcad
Senior User
Well tonight I got some productive testing done......I set my cell into a clear plastic container w/ 3 gallons of water to cover the cell completely w/ 4 tbsp of lye. It was wired as shown in the pic; - on one outer plate and + on the other outer plate. Well the - only was produce 95% of the gas, the + plate maybe 5% and the rest of the plates nodda! So then I connected the two outer plates to the negative supply and one center plate to the positive supply and it took about 30sec. to make that 3gallons a white cloud. The three plates w/ power were producing the most and the neutral plates were producing a good amount.

So my question is what do you guys think about my plate spacing w/ the nylon and ss washers. Do you think I should change the arrangement or test the production rate the way I just explained? I just don't know enough about how electricity travels and ect.........to know what I should change in theory to make this better. Any help..........

Old 06-18-2008, 09:37 PM
David85
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would test the production rate the way it is, then make any changes to fine tune it. Keep records of the output so you know what changes are working and what is not.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:20 PM
RARE_1
Junior User
Don't forget to measure your amps too.

I'm patiently waiting for your results. I just don't have time to spend on this at the moment but your design is closest to what I was thinking of.

Keep us posted!

Old 06-18-2008, 10:29 PM
stevilknevil
Senior User
i got my smack booster working and put on,it's putting out just over a liter a minute at 25 amps.i did'nt notice a huge difference,but the exaust is a little clearer than before.and after a10 mile trip it got dark an every time i stood on it for a little wile sparks shot out the tail pipe and now it sounds a little powerstrokey at an idle.wadda y'all think?

Old 06-18-2008, 11:00 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I have 1/2" hole in the plates, the rod is 3/8".
Ace hardware has nylon shoulder washers, if I remember right the diameter is just under 1" with a 3/8" hole.
The shoulder is 1/16" tall and 1/2" diameter.
The entire washer is 1/8" thick.
So the shoulder goes in the 1/8" plate half way, one on each side.
With two of the back to back, the plates are 1/8" apart.

That plate is not bent, that is a digital picture fubar.

In an attempt to get the plates closer, Lowe's has nylon washers 1/16" thick with a 1/2" hole.

I also found vinyl tubing, 3/8" ID and .475" OD that I am going to slide over the all thread.
Then use the nylon washers between the plates to seperate them.

If I deciede to do the smack booster layout, the pairs of plates will have 1/2" stainless washers between them instead of nylon washers.

I have some nylon bolts, but if you rode in my truck across some of the roads I drive often and picked up the plate bundle to see how much it weighs, I don't think they are up to the task.

Still waiting on more shoulder washers to come in at ACE, and still waiting on more nylon washers at Lowe's.

Not enough of either to put it all together.

Old 06-18-2008, 11:44 PM
78bigbronco
Fleet Mechanic
I dont have a diesel but been folowing this thread with great interest (and some skepticism of the wild claims) but since I'm not that knowledgable on the finer details of diesels I have to ask what the rings are of? I know of the hydrogen embrittlement problem (it will cause steel to become brittle) and wonder if there is any issues with rings, or are the rings stainless? I'd think this would be a serious reliability issue with hydrogen gas, or is the amount of hydrogen just not enough to cause issues but yet boost your mileage to these wild numbers?

Old 06-19-2008, 12:04 AM
stevilknevil
Senior User
I've heard that it's relative to the amount of gas,but i don't know for sure.

Old 06-19-2008, 02:04 AM
David85
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Everything I have read about embrittlment says that its not a problem. What you have to remember is that there are modified engines that are running on strait hydrogen. That is to say they still use the aluminum alloy pistons an the OEM piston rings. Embrittlement is more of a concern with steel oxy cutting, wielding and other really high temperatures in the steel itself. Diesel is after all an hydro--carbon fuel, meaning that it already has hydrgen in it.

My propane powered F150 will blow steam out the exhaust under certain weather conditions because of the low EGTs and high hydrogen content in the fuel. So far it still runs well, just like any other LPG powered truck I've seen

Old 06-20-2008, 07:51 AM
dlmcbm
Junior User
Hey all check this out. I just found it on EBAY last night
COMPACT HYDROGEN OXYGEN FUEL CELL SEE IN ACTION!! 316L - eBay (item 320261841093 end time Jun-19-08 21:03:18 PDT)

this guy gets some great output with some very small units. almost 4LPM yes it is at 50 amps but still great. has some videos to go with it. Nice price for the unit and he sells 316L plates to. hope this helps some of you and keep up the good work. hope to get a few things this weekend to start testing myself.

Old 06-20-2008, 09:35 AM
waynebo
Senior User
Originally Posted by stevilknevil
i got my smack booster working and put on,it's putting out just over a liter a minute at 25 amps.i did'nt notice a huge difference,but the exaust is a little clearer than before.and after a10 mile trip it got dark an every time i stood on it for a little wile sparks shot out the tail pipe and now it sounds a little powerstrokey at an idle.wadda y'all think?
Sparks out the tail pipe,i hope your kidding..Not a good thing out of a diesel..

Old 06-20-2008, 09:38 AM
waynebo
Senior User
Originally Posted by dlmcbm
COMPACT HYDROGEN OXYGEN FUEL CELL SEE IN ACTION!! 316L - eBay (item 320261841093 end time Jun-19-08 21:03:18 PDT)

this guy gets some great output with some very small units. almost 4LPM yes it is at 50 amps but still great. has some videos to go with it. Nice price for the unit and he sells 316L plates to. hope this helps some of you and keep up the good work. hope to get a few things this weekend to start testing myself.

Thats a quart gravity feed paint spray gun cup,i can't think of anything that would be used for,,maybe lawnmower..

Old 06-20-2008, 09:56 AM
lowell75
Senior User
Originally Posted by dlmcbm

Its easy to see your going with this... be careful thou about corrossives in your engine compartment and youd' better have a very good boubbler to prevent them from going into your intake. The background sound is a PWM... something else for most of us to get up to speed on! One thing I keep seeing is LPM...pressure is everything about gas quantity.

Old 06-20-2008, 11:01 AM
twtcad
Senior User
Well I've made some real progress and I'm getting excited again about my layout! My buddy made me a new center plate yesterday 1" longer so I could easily attach a wire, made a few changes/upgrades, used a "flap wheel" on both surfaces of the plates in sort of an "X" pattern. (see pics) Fired it up in the same test container w/ the 3 gallons of Crystal Springs water and 4 tbsp of lye and damn what a difference. Turned that water into a white cloud in about 30sec. After about 5min I blew the 30amp fuse I had on it......oops. So this time I dumped all the water and rinsed everything real good and filled the test container again this time with tap water because I've been going through so much of the expensive water. Yes it did dirty the water and some black gunk got on the plates so not the best idea! Pics are of after I cleaned as much of the gunk I could get off. Anyways, w/ one tbsp of lye it was producing real good I could not test LPM in the test container. So I'm in the process now I getting everything back into my PVC unit so I can get a LPM test. As soon as I have an accurate amp reading and LPM, I'll let you know. Then it will be time to make the small mods I need to get it into the truck for a real test.......keep your fingers crossed for me..................

Old 06-20-2008, 11:13 AM
dlmcbm
Junior User
Has anyone tried this under a vacume? gassers have this easy but not us diesel guys. they say that they produce more under a vacume. It makes sense since it would help draw the gas out and should get rid of the saturation. If you could move the gases away from the plates it would let the water get to the plates to make more HHO. Just me throwing out more ideas.

Quick Reply: The HHO injection thread