Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-18-2008, 04:31 PM
New User

YALAHAKID is starting off with a positive reputation.
1953 Hood

I am having a problem getting the hood to line up. It sticks out to far in the front 1/4 "and won't adjust properly left to right. Is it normal to push down on the back corners to get it to close? any subject matter experts out there?
Old 03-18-2008, 05:31 PM
Senior User

whateg01 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Not saying you won't get good advice here, but wouldn't this question be more likely to be answered in the '48 - '60 forum?

Dave
Old 03-19-2008, 06:53 PM
FTE Administrator

Carlene has a superb reputationCarlene has a superb reputationCarlene has a superb reputationCarlene has a superb reputationCarlene has a superb reputationCarlene has a superb reputationCarlene has a superb reputationCarlene has a superb reputationCarlene has a superb reputationCarlene has a superb reputationCarlene has a superb reputation
Moved to proper forum. The guys here should be able to help you out.

Good Luck on your project truck.

FTE Guidelines
Check out the Florida Chapter
Old 03-19-2008, 07:35 PM
New User

gumbybm is starting off with a positive reputation.
Wow I just put my hood on my 53 and same thing. drivers side rather large gap and I have to push down the back of the hood to fully close. I dont see any ajustments on the hinges.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:20 PM

Fomoko1 has a superb reputationFomoko1 has a superb reputationFomoko1 has a superb reputationFomoko1 has a superb reputationFomoko1 has a superb reputationFomoko1 has a superb reputationFomoko1 has a superb reputationFomoko1 has a superb reputationFomoko1 has a superb reputationFomoko1 has a superb reputationFomoko1 has a superb reputation
That`s about it, you close the hood as far as you can, then run around the 2 sides and push the back of the hood down.
That`s why so many go to a flip hood set up.
98 Ranger XLT S/cab
65/67 Mustang Fastbacks
Old 03-19-2008, 09:04 PM
Elder User

fatfords is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
There's a lot of good info in this old thread
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/45...ht=hokey+pokey

Or search on "hood hokey pokey" or "hood hokie-pokie". It's been discussed many times and several threads are quite humorous!
Good Luck!
Old 03-20-2008, 08:33 AM
New User

YALAHAKID is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks for the input and thanks for getting me to the correct Forum. I am still finding my way around. I am going to try removing the hinge spring and fabricating a bracket to use a gas shock simular to what is on my 2002 f-150. The shock will have to be heavier, shorter and located toward the rear/inside of the 53 hood. The rear coss member on the hood looks sturdy enough to handle the load. This should allow the hood to open more and close completly. If it works, I will post some pictures.

Andy
53 F-100
2002 F-150 (4X4)
1996 Explorer
Old 03-20-2008, 09:16 AM
Senior User

cool 48 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'm sure you have seen the thread where they say to adjust the latch at the front. But just in case, I was having the same problem on my 48 f1. I adjusted the latch up front and now it closes all the right way. Before , I had a gap about an inch up in the back. Now when I close it, it sits down on the gasket like it's supposed to. I guess the theory behind this , is that the latch up front is pulling the hood toward the front of the truck. If you move it back a little ,it lets the hood sit down in the back. Hope that helps.
Old 03-20-2008, 11:40 AM
Postmaster

abe has a very good reputation on FTE.abe has a very good reputation on FTE.abe has a very good reputation on FTE.abe has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by YALAHAKID
I am having a problem getting the hood to line up. It sticks out to far in the front 1/4 "and won't adjust properly left to right. Is it normal to push down on the back corners to get it to close? any subject matter experts out there?
But what about the problem of sticking out too far in the front? I have the same problem and I have given up but with good advice I would try again.

abe
FTE member since March '98
1954 F-100, bought from Grandpa in 1977 for $200
1970 F-350 flatbed dump, purchased 9/20/12
Old 03-20-2008, 02:35 PM
Posting Guru

cmoritz is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I keep hearing..Install the hood 1st...before any core support( use a stick to hold it up)..get the hood to close properly( is it possiable?)..there is a cam action that takes place ie ;the hood lowers,and just before it meets the cowl..it drops down.This appears to be the tricky spot for how Everything else goes together..futile may be a good word to use,
Have someone else slowly open and close the hood ,while you watch from a couple of feet away to see the subtle drop...
You may make small incremental adjustments to get it..., or some wholesale hogging at the hinge positionto get it..Good Luck! .Don't let it beat Ya..it's just a dang old truck!
Old 03-20-2008, 04:46 PM
Posting Guru

LEckart is starting off with a positive reputation.
If you loosen the bolts holding fender(s), front and at the cowl, then adjust the support rods that go from the firewall to the front corner of the fenders you should be able to move the fender forward to line up with the front of the hood. It takes some time and back and forth adjusting but it works.
Old 03-20-2008, 04:46 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks