1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Cut and Weld Indents for Spare Tire Carriers

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 11:34 PM
Sandidande
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cut and Weld Indents for Spare Tire Carriers

Hi Folks,

I had posted a thread about 4 months ago about how to mount a spare tire carrier on the side of the bed of my 51 F1. I got a lot of great inputs!!

Well, I've got the carrier restored, powder coated, and on the truck; I've got my restored rim with a new 6.70x5 bias ply and beauty rim; and now, all I need is to cut that corner out of the front outside edge of the rear fender to flip over and weld back in so there is an indent in the fender to accomodate the spare tire. At least that is the consensus of what folks told me on the other thread I needed to do - since these were not available (despite the fact that I've seen pictures of many modified fenders) as standard until 1956 (could be wrong, but no debates please - doesn't matter at this point).

What I need to know from someone out there is the process for marking and cutting the back fenders front corner so it correctly flips and can be rewelded into place to form the indent. Does any one out there have the gouge on that? Sure would be helpful since my fenders are pristine and I'd hate to butcher it up.

Thanks folks,
Dan

Old 03-18-2008, 07:58 AM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
I have seen many stock fenders with indents for sale, and an equal number of owners who would trade one for a "pristine" non-spare indent fender. IMHO if I were in your position, I would find one of these stock indented fenders and not cut the one you have. If you are looking to maintain an original look to your truck there is no way to flip the cutout and make it look stock...the stock cutout has a flange on the fender and the indent portion is spotwelded to it. There is a noticable overlap when you look at the seam where the two meet. If you choose to go through with the mod to your fender I would suggest finding a stock fender to use as a guide. I have one here in San Diego...I could make a foam cast of the indent for you if you think that it would help.

Old 03-18-2008, 11:57 AM
Sandidande
Senior User
Hey CharlieLed,

Thanks for the input. I think youare right. But according to the experts (like Chuck at Chucks trucks and Ford) there is no such thing as a stock 51 Back fender with a tire indent - all the ones we see have been modified. Hard to believe since I've seen a million of them. And of course since I started wanting one, I can't find one anywhere.

I have an idea. How about if I come on down and look at your fender - I'm in La Mesa!

Dan

Old 03-18-2008, 06:06 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
My bad...I shoulda read the post more closely, didn't see the 51 just assumed F100. I just took the fender out to my garage in Campo this weekend but I can bring it back this weekend. I'm in Fletcher Hills just up the hill off of Cuyamaca near *** Cable.

Old 03-18-2008, 08:02 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,836 Likes on 1,835 Posts
Just a thought here, wouldn't it be easier to take and cut the fender indent out of a later model fender than to try and indent and original fender?

Since the later model fenders were basically the same from 1953 through 1979 or so it might be easy to find one. Heck, for that matter you could probably even use the indented portion from a non Ford truck (chevy, dodge, etc) and custom tweak it to fit the curvature of the 51 fender

Bobby

Old 03-18-2008, 10:20 PM
Sandidande
Senior User
I've been thinking about that. If I could find a late 51/52 back Passenger side fender that was wrecked or rusted, I could play with it and maybe make a part to weld into mine. I could also cut the indent out of a 56-70s ish fender and weld it into mine. I mean, how stock does a cut out in the fender have to be as long as it is semetrical with the spare and looks good. I'm pretty sure I could take CharlieLeds fender and cut the indent out then adapt it to my fender fairly easily - just takes a bigger grinder right? He's right too, the late 51/52 fenders were fairly unique because 53 started a new design, and the 48 thru mid 51 fenders had the indents for the bed sides panels. Hey CharlieLed, if you want, leave me a private message with a phone number and we can connect up to look at the fender at your convenience. I'm up in the Village of La Mesa right across the street from where they have the Farmers Market every Friday (Palm and Allison) so I'm five minutes from you on the I-8 - I grew up a couple blocks from Larke Murray and Navajo toward Grossmont JC.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:17 PM
iateatoad
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dan,
If your still looking for a fender to experiment on before you cut into your good one, i can probably help you out. I can't use PMs yet but email me at jeffparker@aggienetwork.com and we'll figure out the specifics.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:38 PM
Sandidande
Senior User
Thanks Jeff,

I sent an e-mail to you tonight! Appreciate the help!