1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

LP into Diesel??????

Old 03-17-2008, 12:00 PM
jle70
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LP into Diesel??????

Has anybody ever heard of adding Lp injection to diesel?

Supposedly it helps burn entire fuel and increase MPG

Old 03-17-2008, 12:09 PM
Neal 97 250
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It works similiar to the way N.O.S. acts on gas engines. Diesels can also be put on N.O.S. as well and at the same time. Be careful though there are a few mods that may be necessary to keep you from melting the pistons.

Old 03-17-2008, 01:19 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes propane injection can and is used. It can be a mileage and power mod BUT as with any fuel that injected into the intake air on a compression ignition engine predetonation is a very real problem. I have heard of guys running it for mileage with and with out issues. Many who run it for power (more PP injected) end with holes in the block or bent rods. A system that is designed specifically for your truck with boost switches and safety features are probably safe.

But if you get crazy and start getting greedy for power you will soon find out what the guts of your engine look like on the pavement!

Old 03-23-2008, 12:30 PM
Islander1
Freshman User
Works for me!

I had it done and havent looked back.

http://www.dieselgasaustralia.com.au/

http://www.dieselgas.com.au/home.htm

Our govt actually pays us a few thousand dollars towards the cost of converting.

http://www.ausindustry.gov.au/conten...7A2EFBDB3D4AF7

It might not be a viable conversion stateside without such a subsidy - here our LPG is cheaper compartively than yours - and our conversion cost govt subsidized.

Here it makes sense to do.

No holes or melted engines etc.

Works fine, engine runs great - tows well no alarming egts etc..

Been using it more than a year now.

Its a great technology which would likely be more developedin your country if it made more fiscal sense.

Cheers

Old 03-23-2008, 04:16 PM
powerstrokeddiesel
Posting Guru
ahh don't run pp... sure you get alot of power from it but it is not worth the pain the motor has to go through...

Old 03-23-2008, 05:20 PM
WALJON
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by Islander1
I had it done and havent looked back.

http://www.dieselgasaustralia.com.au/

http://www.dieselgas.com.au/home.htm

Our govt actually pays us a few thousand dollars towards the cost of converting.

http://www.ausindustry.gov.au/conten...7A2EFBDB3D4AF7

It might not be a viable conversion stateside without such a subsidy - here our LPG is cheaper compartively than yours - and our conversion cost govt subsidized.

Here it makes sense to do.

No holes or melted engines etc.

Works fine, engine runs great - tows well no alarming egts etc..

Been using it more than a year now.

Its a great technology which would likely be more developedin your country if it made more fiscal sense.

Cheers
COOL so the objective with the LP is better emissions and not performance on your set up .

So how big of a tank do you have and where is it mounted

Canada substudies for the change over to LP

Old 03-23-2008, 05:29 PM
kawa
Postmaster
Originally Posted by WALJON
COOL so the objective with the LP is better emissions and not performance on your set up .

So how big of a tank do you have and where is it mounted

Canada substudies for the change over to LP
Waljon, I know that you were up late last night but this fellow is not from Canada he's from "Downunder"

Rog

Old 03-23-2008, 07:15 PM
WALJON
Posting Guru

Yes I know where he is from as I recall you were up late yourself ya pirate lol

I was just saying CANADA subsidises for switching from reg pump gas to LP

The way the price of diesel is going maybe this might be something to look into here in CANADA

Old 03-23-2008, 09:01 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Also one note of PP you should have a chip burned with that in mind. they change the programming to make it more safe.

Old 03-23-2008, 09:14 PM
WALJON
Posting Guru

If I read correctly sounds like there is some reprogramming there

yeah I agree with you not hard to screw up an engine

Old 03-28-2008, 11:48 PM
Islander1
Freshman User
Sorry for the delay

Sorry for the tardy reply, I've been under the hammer at work of late.
Propane tank size?.

The installer recommends about 1/3 of the size of your diesel tank
, however - I have an after market, long range diesel tank fitted of 250 liters capacity (66 US gallons) so - I needed a larger than normal Propane tank as well at 146 liters capacity (38.6 US GAllons).

Because it is big, I had it installed transverse across the bed behind the cab.

Because I carry so much Diesel & LPG combined, I have an enourmous range before needing a refill (almost 2000 miles highway unladen @20mpg).

This means I can drive between capital cities in Oz almost on opposite sides of the continent, and not have to fuel at the expensive gas stations in the boondocks, instead I can buy discount Diesel & Propane in th emajor centers where competition and volume keeps the prices down.

Also I fill if I have to on the road - at truckstops thru the fast fill nozzel, and because I take quantities like the road freight trucks - they assume I am a commercial hauler and give me fuel discounts reserved for their regular long haul truck drivers who are regular customers - sometimes up to 50c a gallon - which adds up over time.

So - cheaper running, better MPG, better fuel buy price etc etc - theres too many plusses to ignore.

Again, if you were paying the full $4.5K conversion feee with no $3K govt subsidy - you'd be waiting some years to break even on propane and also - your Propane is relatively more expensive than ours (while our diesel is way more expensive than yours) so it might not make sense to convert, unless - as has been said you were in Canada maybe.

I only gained from 23 hp at the rear wheels from the Propane injection because I still meet the emissions standards, - you can of course after being tested - go back top the installer - who wiull crank the gas up if you want more power- but I don't - I am after fuel economy savings and engine drivetrain longevity - so I don't even run a chip for example.

Each has to do what they think best for their circumstances.

One thing I HAVE noticed thru Used Oil Analysis is that my expensive Mobil Delvac 1 fully synthetic oil - isn't much good for extended oil change intervals - it seems to oxidise and nitrate levels go up fast, I assume that is because of the addition of propane.

Also soot levels increased slightly - they were supposed to decreaeafter 2 oil change intervals - I will see when I do my next oil change and used oil analysis if it is getting any cleaner yet - I run bypass filtration (sub micron oilguard) so sooot isn;t an issue - but the propane people claim a cleaner running engine and so far 2 oil changes the opposite has been my experience - but they do warnm that soot levels can increase initially while the old carbon depoits are burned out by the propane until the engine is clean, usually 2 oil changes.

If I could solve the UVCH issues I am having maybe I'd get enough miles up to do the next oil change!

Cheers

Old 03-29-2008, 04:53 AM
WALJON
Posting Guru

Thank you for the Info.

I just went through the UVCH issue thing LOL good luck

WALTER

Old 03-29-2008, 07:45 AM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Great report on your PP! I would love a 2k range before filling!!

Old 03-29-2008, 08:18 AM
MADVAN
Postmaster
I have pane in van for like 8 years now. Pane is safe and has motor benefits if you use it to chase the 25% of unburned fuel. Used to make big HP is a no no!!! With the cost of #2, pane has become a way to offset fuel costs.
With my system i can only adjust flow (tune) under certain conditions such as hwy cruise/ off the line accel ect. Have found gains in mpg and cleaner exhaust, and oil. I believe with the use of a digital controller you can net gains with an optimized tune (less pane losses).

FWIW
Hydrogen generator is another route i have taken/tested but it is hard on the turbo. The hydrogen also has more issues to deal with.

Bill

Old 03-29-2008, 08:27 AM
WALJON
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by MADVAN
I have pane in van for like 8 years now. Pane is safe and has motor benefits if you use it to chase the 25% of unburned fuel. Used to make big HP is a no no!!! With the cost of #2, pane has become a way to offset fuel costs.
With my system i can only adjust flow (tune) under certain conditions such as hwy cruise/ off the line accel ect. Have found gains in mpg and cleaner exhaust, and oil. I believe with the use of a digital controller you can net gains with an optimized tune (less pane losses).

FWIW
Hydrogen generator is another route i have taken/tested but it is hard on the turbo. The hydrogen also has more issues to deal with.

Bill
HYDROGEN

Search this Thread