1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Different Flathead

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 09:13 PM
restoringmy46
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Different Flathead

My mom's 2nd cousin called her today and wanted to know if I would be interested in 2 old cars real cheap. So she called me and I'm going to go look at them this Monday. There are 2 of them but he can't remember what one is. One is a 1941 Caddy. I haven't seen one of them in 4 ever. Anyway I don't plan on building it even if it is in good shape, all I want is the 368 Flathead V8 out of it. I seen a car show the other day on tv and a guy had a 48 Ford F1 with a 368 Flathead motor in it out of a Caddy. He said they where alot better than the ford flatheads when it come to running cooler. The exhaust runs out the top someway, he said that they don't crack like a ford flathead does and they have all kinds of torque and power to. I'm just going by what the guy said, I don't know anything about them. But I will say one thing I believe that is the Biggest flathead I have ever seen. It's like comparing a 429 to a 302. It's just a idea but I can get the car for $75 dollars. When I find out what the other car is I'll let you guys now. But if I can get it for under 100 bucks to I'll buy it also. That would look cool to see a big 369 Flathead in a ford truck. Now that would be different and cool!!

Scott B.

Old 03-15-2008, 09:58 PM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ooohhhhhhhhhhh you just ruffled some feathers !!!!!! oh well it's yers do what ya want , doesnt sound like that bad of an idea anyway . at least its not another dain c--v-!!!!!!!!!. the only thing i know for sure is yes the exhaust does exit out the top of the head in them thar caddwhacks .

Old 03-15-2008, 10:01 PM
OldgreenF1
Elder User
Get everything you can when you yank it out. Trans, linkage, cross member and driveshaft. I would say that would hurt your wallet to build that flathead.
I would sell it off on ebay and use the funds to buy a running engine and trans.

Old 03-15-2008, 10:14 PM
CIAF
Posting Guru
Its the engine that guys with a few more bucks than most would put in the trucks back in the true hot rodding days. I believe it would make an excellent choice for a vintage hot rod truck. Take a peek in RoD and Custom Mag for a few ideas on what guys were doing back then and how many more are doing today to to clone,copy,and duplicate all form of rolling art from yesteryear. And you can make a small fortune just in body trim from that year of caddy to finance the truck build. Just take a look at some prices on the Cad forums to see what the Cad guys are paying for body,trim and interior parts. And yes, it is your truck to do as you wish and yes, it will cost a bunch to redo the Caddy Flatty but man you WILL be a hero to some.
Jon

Old 03-16-2008, 07:07 AM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
OK
You saw a Caddy engine in an F1 on TV. The guy said it was bigger & better than a Ford. When You got the call about this one it was a done deal.
Is it running?
What do parts cost for it?
What has to be done to get it in a F1?

Have you done any research into the Caddy engine? E-Bay doesn't count.
What Tranny are you going to use, How will you get it to Stick to that engine?

Before you jump off a cliff it's a good idea to know if there is any water down below and an even better idea to know how deep it is.

Old 03-16-2008, 09:28 AM
F6Guy
Elder User
I know that the ford engines are prone to cracking, but if its due to a bad casting in should have cracked a long time ago other than that they are no different than any other engine, take care of it and it will be a good motor. I think, the problem is way overrated I mean ford used the same basic design for over 20 years so it can"t be that big of a turd. BTW I think, the CID for a 41 should be 346 at around 150HP.

Old 03-16-2008, 10:34 AM
dffay
Elder User
The Cad (and Ford for that matter) flatheads were popular in the drop-dead gorgeous Chris Craft boats of old. The sound of them just idling along was like no other. They are great engines but powering a Ford with a GM is just unholy.

Take that BobbyT!!!

Old 03-16-2008, 10:41 AM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by dffay
The Cad (and Ford for that matter) flatheads were popular in the drop-dead gorgeous Chris Craft boats of old. The sound of them just idling along was like no other. They are great engines but powering a Ford with a GM is just unholy.

Take that BobbyT!!!
So far this thread has no pictures, so BobbyT won't see your post.

Old 03-16-2008, 09:36 PM
restoringmy46
Elder User
I quess I did ruffle some feathers on this. Sorry!! Like I said in my first post I know nothing about a Caddy motor, but when I bought my F1 I didn't know anything about a ford flathead either. All I'm saying s I can learn and again this is just a Idea. I'll find out tomorrow what the other car is. If someone is willing to put $2500 to $4000 dollars in a ford flathead then I would say that would build one of these motors to. That kind of money would build any good running small block. Every project starts with a idea even if you know nothing about it. Remember if it wasn't for ideas you wouldn't have the trucks you have today.

Scott B.

Old 03-16-2008, 10:28 PM
CIAF
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by restoringmy46
I quess I did ruffle some feathers on this. Sorry!! Like I said in my first post I know nothing about a Caddy motor, but when I bought my F1 I didn't know anything about a ford flathead either. All I'm saying s I can learn and again this is just a Idea. I'll find out tomorrow what the other car is. If someone is willing to put $2500 to $4000 dollars in a ford flathead then I would say that would build one of these motors to. That kind of money would build any good running small block. Every project starts with a idea even if you know nothing about it. Remember if it wasn't for ideas you wouldn't have the trucks you have today.

Scott B.
You got that right. And don't concern yourself with the feathers. It is afterall a ford site and thats fair. However, all vintage engines like the 348,409,hemi,nailhead,caddy,flatty,FE,Y-block,etc are just cool to use in anything you want if that is what you want and you can afford it. There are even a number of trucks running the sbc but we just don't discuss them here and thats ok IMO. There is even 1 getting a diesel. Most guys here mean well so don't get thinskinned now. Hell, Bobby has a Caddy and we love him because he also learns us some good stuff and his truck actually runs.
You will always have the blue oval as the favored but keep in mind that a lot of the posts are no more than the standard issue opine. Hang in and you find the right advice and then make the right choice for you, your truck and your budget.
I just recall all the ribbing I took a time back came from folks(not all from FTE ) that are still building, still opining, some gave up,and some are just gone. I'm still here and cruising. I have had 8 effies with flatties, Y-block,nails,289,302,390, but since I do not claim allegiance to any brand , I am a bit more open to change.
V. Edelbrock once said:" Hotrods have a flattie in front and a toolbox in the rear, Streetrods have a SB in the front and a can of wax in the rear". Sure made me think about things.
Just food for thought or more opine.
Jon

Old 03-17-2008, 04:02 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
i wont say my truck is a hot rod but its got a flatty in front a can of wax for the rust in it somewhere and a big f-ing hammer to beat it with when it acts up .... so does that make it a hot street rod ??????????????????? p.s i'd take the caddy v-8 just because it is a flathead !!!!! dont know what i'd do with it though .

Old 03-17-2008, 05:01 AM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Scott
All I wanted to get across is to slow down and make sure what your getting into.
Yes you can buy a small block for the cost of a Flatmotor, but you have a small block AND NOT a Flatmotor.
The Caddy will be more expensive unless you have a good builder who knows what parts can be changed out for others.

Old 03-17-2008, 11:54 AM
59 shorty
Senior User
Flathead Caddy here ya go.

Flathead caddy don't know exact year but you get the idea. Mark

Old 03-17-2008, 12:38 PM
restoringmy46
Elder User
59 shorty , Hey I like the pic. I knew the exhaust came out the top of the head somewhere.
Guys don't think I'm upset in anyway b/c I'm not. Believe me I knew I would get something or some kind of grief for talking about a GM motor. I know how people are on this site when it comes to a flathead or a y-block. My 51 has a flathead V8 and I wouldn't have changed it out for nothing. I just thought it would be something different to talk about. The car is a 41 Fleetwood, suppose to be the last year they made the fleetwood in the 40's. Plus it is a 4 door so thats another reason I don't want the car. Don't want to make anyone angry I just don't car for a 4 door car. The car is in a garage and has been there for 40 plus years so it should be in good shape but I would say the motor is well stuck. I don't think someone would go out a start it very often if they don't drive it. I'm still waiting to find out what the other car is. I just want them to make some money off of. I'm sure someone is building one of these or would need some parts for one somewhere. I'll get back with you guys on the other car later.

Scott B.

Old 03-17-2008, 03:17 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Scott
If you were talking about a SBC I wouldn't even be in this discussion.
The Flathead Caddy I'll wrangle with ya.
The guy that does my machine work does all sorts of things when working with Old Uncommon engines, like using modern rods in Old Packards, Or Chevy Pistons in Studes.
By doing things like that he can save you a bundle IF you don't insist on original parts.
Those old Caddies are cool, I have a friend that has one in a 32 Roadster.

Quick Reply: Different Flathead