Nebraska Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: 97nukeford

Sad day

Old 03-13-2008, 05:32 PM
Lizard XJ
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sad day

well found out my neice has down syndrome, a moderate case. My wife is devastated, and my sister in law and her husband, had a hard time explaining to the family about the results. I am at a loss, don't know what to say. my sister in-law had problems during the pregnancy. I couldn't go over to the house and sit with family, it was to hard with everybody crying. This week just sucks.

Old 03-13-2008, 05:59 PM
cowboywanabe
Posting Legend
Hey XJ - Sorry to hear that news, thoughts and prayers are with you and the family. Hang in there, the medical community tends to present "worst case" so y'all will need to focus on the positives.

Old 03-13-2008, 05:59 PM
iwillflybyu
Senior User
Hey man, my thoughts and prayers are with you in this hard time. Its hard to find the right words or any words to say when something of this cailber happens. I wish you and your family the best. Keep your heads up.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:30 PM
husker
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family also. I work with an organization that deals with a lot of folks with developmental disabilities. Your sister in law and her husband will probably want to connect with some other families with children with disabilities to help them understand and to get support. There is an organization in Kansas called Families Together and I think they have groups in most states. They might want to try and get in touch with them.

Down syndrome is a genetic abnomality, and your sister in law's problems during pregnancy probably had nothing to do with it. I'm no expert, I'm not sure if there is an explanation for why it happens except it is more common with parents who have a child when they are older. i.e. a child born to a mother in her later 30's etc than someone having a child in her 20's.

This is the hard thing to understand, and I haven't been down this particular road, but your new niece will be a challenge to the family, and also will be a real blessing. This is what I see with most families with a special needs child.

I'll use a little misplaced humor. It's kinda like expecting a new Ford and then they give you a Chevy. Not what you wanted or expected, but still ok.

Old 03-13-2008, 10:29 PM
ElwoodMurphy
Senior User
XJ, sorry to here that news. My thoughts and prayers also go out to you and yours. Downs isn't as bad a deal as it used to be and we are seeing more kids grow up and work in the job place than before. I hope your niece has a long and happy life and no doubt will touch someones life in a special way. God Bless.

Doug

Old 03-14-2008, 07:55 AM
67nukeford
Super Moderator
Received 221 Likes on 180 Posts
Hey Ryan, I'm sorry to hear about your neice. I know it's tough to learn about something like this. At least she only has a moderate case. You and your family will be in our thoughts!

Old 03-14-2008, 08:47 AM
BIGKEN
Received 7,051 Likes on 4,154 Posts
Sorry to hear about the little girls dilemma...there is plenty of help out there for both your niece and the family. Make sure everyone gets the support they need and deserve and also make sure there is plenty of love doled out.

Old 03-14-2008, 10:06 PM
Lizard XJ
Senior User
Thank you for the thoughts and prayers. It will be a challenge for our family, she will have lots of love. They are looking into a support group, me and the wife have been reading up, and learning what we can do to help. I know their will be times that they will need help/break. We want to be their to help, and have some knowledge of what to do.

Old 03-16-2008, 10:34 AM
cornfedp
Senior User
Sorry to hear about this. I always hate to see kids go through bad times. Your niece is still special and your family is blessed to have her around. Im glad everyone sees that. One thing that I think you can take solace in is kids with special needs like your niece are truly innocent. Take care of her, I think she will have something to teach everyone about life someday.

Search this Thread