Well I did a lot of rust repair lately and mocked the body up on it to see what kinda tire clearance I have and to see how high it looks.
I did some measurements of a ford 300 I-6 and it seems like it would be a tad too long. so I am looking at buying a ford 200 I-6 for it.
looks good to me, i hope my ride height in about the same. when you measured for a 300, was the radiator in the forward location? I'm putting a 300 in mine, and think i could have done it without firewall modifications. my biggest issue is the NP435 bellhousing and the 3rd carb's air cleaner.
Thats cool on your 4X4 conversion. I have recently acquired some dfferent donor parts and did the near exact setup on my `55. Same parts adapted to hook steering together. Used a FSJ front axle. Its only 1 inch narrower than stock axle, but wider than early Bronco. I have 5 early Broncos in my stable. Had originally planned to cut the wedges off and go that route until I found the old Wagoneer with a D44 under the front. I was considering using 2003 and newer FX4 six lug wheels. I could use the jeep rotors this way, with some alterations, but leaning towards some 5 lug FX4's instead. The steering linkage worked out well, just like yours did. Also the spring perches are already spaced correctly, so no alterations there. I wanted to leave it stock ride height. I may try to keep it SUA. But will need to come up with some decent springs with more arch. I want the truck to sit level, but not appearing its raised over a stock 4X4 truck. I ended up with 2" riser blocks from some overload springs off a late model 1 ton for the rear if I end up with SOA on front. I have a NP435 with Dana 21 transfer case pulled from a late 60's 4X4. With very little alterations, I should be able to adapt to stock `55 bellhousing. Maybe add a rear crossmember to help support all of the extended length hanging off behind rear motor mounts. Will end up cutting down tierod from donor chevy flat tops to finish up steering. Looking forward to seeing it all finished and how yours turns out too..
Yes, I was measuring from the forward radiator position.
While a 300 posiblly "could" fit without cutting up the firewall. It would be way to tight of a fit when it comes to the radiator fan. I figured that it would be too much of a pain to work on in the future. That is why I am going with the 200, it has a nice small bellhousing and is quite a bit shorter to I should have a lot of room to work with.
fordtrucksforever, I would like to see some pics of how yours is turing out.
I thought about using a FSJ axle BUT I had the EB axle just sitting threre and I wanted the axle as wide as possilbe to keep a tight turing radius...
I oringinally thought about going spring under to lower it a bit BUT then I would have to notch the frame OR spend the cash for springs with more arch and not really loose too much hight.. I figure once I get the motor/tranny/tase in hte truck I can pull a leaf or 2 to get it down a bit if it needs it.
I was going to use an EB axle, but fell short on wms at 58" where stock `55 F100 axle is 61". I had a whole FSJ fall right into my hands not long after deciding to convert over to 4X4. The front end is 60.5'', so worked out perfectly. There isnt another D44 application with left side dif close to this width. Especially already equipped with disks. Spring perches are on correct centers too. Thats one reason why I wanted to stay with SUA. I am going to mix a few leafs from FSJ, since nothing to loose. My `55 fronts are dead, swapping a few arched leafs may give enough lift to work.
Well I made a lot of progress on it...motormounts and crossmember fabricated......motor/tranny/t-case installed. shift and cluch linkage fabricated and installed.....built and installed the driveshafts... have the brakes almost finished and got more metalwork done on it.
here is a recent pic of it.
here is a comparison in ride hight to my 79 f-350 4x4 and 52 f-1.