want to start making biodiesel

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 08:35 PM
Dodsie
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
want to start making biodiesel

I have done some reading on utah biodiesel's web site, and I am still researching the bio process. My main concern is @ temperature does biodiesel gell ( I live in Ottawa Canada) and does anybody out there use and automated processor ? I like the idea of setting everything up and pressing the button , later draining off glycol and waiting for the rest. Any comments ?

Old 03-12-2008, 10:50 PM
littledre1
Senior User
I believe that BD gells around 30F.

As far as the automated procesor that you saw on the Utah BD site they seem pretty slick. I was looking at the Bio Pro 150 which would suit my purposes fine. However it's a little bit too expensive for me.
The reviews that I read for those processors have been nothing but good.

I've decided to go the WVO route with my truck. I don't like to deal with hazardous chemicals any more then I have to so BD is not going to work for me. I also live with my parents and my Father is not ok with me storing methanol, lye, and sulfuric acid in his garage. I live rent free so I really can't argue with that.

Either way that you decide to go I think that you should source your WVO first. I started collecting about 2 months ago and I have about 125 gallons settling in the garage. Once I get the Vegistroke installed on my truck I'll probably try to find one more restaurant to collect from , I'm currently collecting from 2, and I should be good for my current driving habits.

Old 03-13-2008, 09:07 AM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Dodsie
I have done some reading on utah biodiesel's web site, and I am still researching the bio process. My main concern is @ temperature does biodiesel gell ( I live in Ottawa Canada) and does anybody out there use and automated processor ? I like the idea of setting everything up and pressing the button , later draining off glycol and waiting for the rest. Any comments ?
The best place to start is here: http://www.biodieselcommunity.org . Biodiesel gell point is dependant on the base oil stock used. The canola that I use has a gell point between 26-30 deg. I blend to B-80 which lowers the gell point to about 0 deg, and if the temps drop lower you can blend to a lower rate like B-50, or lower.

Old 03-13-2008, 05:25 PM
Dodsie
New User
new at the bio, b-80 is what? 80% bio and 20% dino diesel? That would make B-50 half and half?

Old 03-13-2008, 06:11 PM
littledre1
Senior User
80% bio and 20% dino diesel? That would make B-50 half and half?[/QUOTE]

That's correct.

Old 03-17-2008, 09:32 AM
Phydeaux88
Posting Guru
sometimes you can find those blends at your fuel station or just buy appropriate amounts of each.