Iowa Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

Done anything on your truck lately?

Old 03-19-2008, 06:56 PM
Sam_Fear
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Done anything on your truck lately?

In the last couple months, when it hasn't been too D**N cold, I've been putting new floorboards and cab mounts in my 63. A learning experience. I learned I can weld, MIG is easier than Flux-core, I can weld badly, I can fix my mistakes (over and over ), and I can fix the PO's half-axx work (with my own crap work ). I learned that my front cab corners were WAY more gone than I thought. I got the worst of it fixed, but the rest is going to wait until I go at the fenders and body.

Put new rear brake cylinders on both my 63 and 87.

Pulled my 63 tranny to get the dimensions and spent 3 %$&*%@^&% hrs fighting it back on!!!! Never had that much trouble before! Ever!

I also trashed my '87 alignment hitting pot holes so that's got to be worked on. The last one I chucked got rid of my high speed shimmy and replaced it with a low speed wobble!

Next week I'm on vacation so I plan on pulling my '63s 292 heads to fix a oil seep, and put a different intake and carb set-up on. Still haven't got my carb kit though - better get here soon. Clean up my headers and maybe if I get the courage I may port the heads a bit.

How about you guys? What ya been doin?

Old 03-19-2008, 08:16 PM
jimbo beam
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Been doing my fair share of electric work on my 86. Rewired everything from the cab back, rewired all the front lights. I made a new harness from the Alt to the battery and to the cab.

I put a cd player in it, I used the old door speakers from my 96 in the doors, and i wire tied a set of 6X9s behind the seat. A buddy offered me the cd deck and I already had the speakers on hand, nothing beats a free stereo.

I added a set of Sunpro gauges to the 86 and 96. Got a oil pressure, volt meter, and water temp gauges. In the 86 I mounted them using a chrome bezel mount above the radio, in the 96 I yanked the ash tray out and fitted them in the hole with a black bezel mount.

I've got my 460 block at the machine shop for some work. Once my tax return gets here I'll be rebuilding it along with a C6. They're both going to find their way into my 82, hopefully this summer.

Not exactly truck related, but I did just finish putting a tranny in my buick. It took 3 jacks, along with 4 jackstands each ontop of a pile of bricks. Had to get the car about 5 feet in the air so the whole mess could come out from underneith, I should of took pictures. It was a mess but shes running fine now.

Old 03-19-2008, 09:50 PM
Sam_Fear
Posting Guru
Who's doingyour 460? We had to pay 50 bucks this year. But we do have the Stimulus money coming.

Old 03-20-2008, 06:57 AM
fellro86
Hotshot
Haven't gotten to it just yet, but still have the clutch to get done, but at least I have the parts now. Also have a trans to put in the 92, so one of these days...

Old 03-22-2008, 03:31 PM
beaners1
Senior User
been building a new bumper for my 88 old was bent pretty bad should be ready to mount today. then pull it off and get it painted with the lights installed.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:39 AM
FarmForward
Postmaster
Done anything...

As a matter of fact, I did something to my '88 F150 this past week... I traded it off and got a '94 Ranger XLT. I'd been looking around for something for awhile, but not real seriously. The old red half-tonner had been one of the best trucks I'd ever had... heck, one of the best ever made in my opinion, but it was time to let it go before the nickel & dimes started adding up to serious money. So I found the Ranger to replace it. Hoping that with the newer model year, less miles, and smaller engine (which should add up to to more MPG), I'll be able to save some money to squander on something else. Just hope that whomever ends up with my old truck (which my very much Southern Belle lady friend dubbed "Beauregard") has the same good luck I had with it. Hate to think of it getting chopped up or something like that.

As for the Bronco... nope, have'nt done a thing to it so far. Just put gas in it and lock the hubs in on these lovely farm-to-market roads we have in the Hawkeye State.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:33 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
lets see pulled the engine and trans, loaded the engine into the guys truck that bought it, then put the ranger on evilbay (didn't sell)
F250 just ordered all the rest of the hoses under the hood (heater, and tank to radiator) since one of my heater hoses is leaking (actually think it's just the clamp but 8 yrs old and replaced both the radiator hoses last fall.)

Old 03-27-2008, 11:33 AM
Sam_Fear
Posting Guru
Well, I successfully replaced my head gaskets. And I got my other intake on with one carb for right now. It's a 3x2 and I have the other ports 2 blocked. Runs like a champ and no leaks so far. Need to work out some linkage issues and such yet, but so far so good.

Old 04-13-2008, 12:01 PM
ididntdoit99
Elder User
Well, It's been halfway nice for the last couple weekends. And I've got a little work done on the truck now

I just finished putting my bug guard and nerf bars back on the truck. I Got a couple cans of cheap spray on bedliner to coat them.

Last weekend I painted my rims (Still need to do the centercaps)

And the weekend before that I installed those offroad lights on my grill.

Now I just REALLY need to clean it. What do ya'll think?

Old 04-13-2008, 04:51 PM
OverEngineer
Senior User
I put New Deaver Springs on that gave me 40" of articulation

Old 04-15-2008, 08:39 PM
Sam_Fear
Posting Guru
Ididntdoit - those grill lights are great! Like your roof visor too.

OverEngineer - I took a look at your gallery, Ol'Ugly ain't old or ugly.

I've had all sorts of little problems with my project. Just alot of engineering mostly. Temporarily blocked off my PCV valve because the new intake manifold blocked it. Forgot and revved it up good on a test run. Blew oil out the valve cover gaskets and is making my rear seal leak - more than usual! Lost about a quart in 3 minutes! Think I got that one licked though. I've been reading up on vacuum and timing lately too. Gotta get moving if I'm going to stick to the plan - On the road by May. Washed it down good one day too.

Search this Thread