1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

STILL Shift issues...

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 02:05 PM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
STILL Shift issues...

Ok... So my truck is STILL having the shift problems that is was when I first got my TS chip.... Here is a vid of truck shifting with no chip installed and NAW6 PCM. Can someone tell me where the T/C locks in this video? Or does it even lock at all? I see 3 distinct gear changes, 1-2, 2-3, 3-OD, but no T/C lock... also, I let off after third because it is snowing out and truck was getting sideways... http://good-times.webshots.com/video/3031246580062074462oRbQEk

Here is a video of partial throttle with T.W. chip set to daily tune. I wasn't in the gas very hard because the shifts are so bad there beating on the trans. I'm just trying to figure out why the truch shift sooooo much better stock than with a chip. I don't even care that the gear changes take a while stock, which they do... but chipped even on the low HP settings, the truck is shiffting like crap. Let me know what you think.. here are the other two vids, partial throttle...

http://good-times.webshots.com/video/3013142730062074462hslNNY
http://good-times.webshots.com/video/3058745490062074462eStFAy

-Robb

Old 03-12-2008, 02:52 PM
MADVAN
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Robb

Get the part# off of the PCM.
The #'s are on the connector end.
Something is not right here.

I sent TJ your vids. Did not know you were going to post.

Bill

Old 03-12-2008, 03:04 PM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by MADVAN
Robb

Where did you get the PCM code from?
Is it possible the motor has split shots in it?
Just shooting in the dark here.

Get the part# off of the PCM.
The #'s are on the connector end.
Something is not right here.

I sent TJ your vids. Did not know you were going to post.

Bill
Bill, just pulled part of your PM into the post here. That PCM code is my stock pcm, NAW6 right on the back, Truck is singles, as far as I know, no "cali" fuel pump damper thing and sound like singles to me... I can get the numbers off it tomorrow, I've already been back and forth to the truck 3 times today, Mile walk from my apartment and the shuttle buses arn't running today.

Chip is on it's way back to Tony. He thinks that if he re-burns the chip to basically stock shift programing (TDE1) it will take care of the problems. I have faith in him, I just think every truck is different, and it's difficult to get everything in sync without live tuning...

-Robb

Old 03-12-2008, 03:31 PM
MADVAN
Postmaster
Something is strange here. (possible not matched)
The combo you have looks good. (stock)
All issues exist when chips are installed.
A WAG is something is not what we believe it to be. (pcm,injectors)
The only other thought would be is something happened during the download of the files. (corrupted) Thats a case of if it was not for bad luck i would not have any at all. But this is the 2nd chip!!!

That burn made a mess of the truck.
I can see why you would be Pissed with this!
Was the TS and the TW about the same? (crap)

Bill

Old 03-12-2008, 03:37 PM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Something is strange here. (not matched)
The combo you have looks good. (stock)
All issues exist when chips are installed.
A WAG is something is not what we believe it to be. (pcm,injectors)
The only other thought would be is something happened during the download of the files. (corrupted) Thats a case of if it was not for bad luck i would not have any at all. But this is the 2nd chip!!!

That burn made a mess of the truck.

Bill
Bill.... as far as I know... The truck has Stock 90cc single shot Injectors, and a NAW6 Pcm. I am aware that the chip changes the PCM to TDE1. The Transmission was reaplaced, By ford, at 90K (saw the recepts from P/O, had correct vin number on them etc...) so unless the tech did something funny or built up the VB, it's a stock trans and stock VB and stock T/C... That doesn't mean that the springs may be getting weak...

Honestly, righ not I'm not looking for a HP builder, just want a good daily driver, that has a little "pep in the step" and shifts good. Thats it, not looking for miracles here, just something that works. I just want to be able to accelerate and not have to back off because I know that the shift is so bad that it feels that it might snap a U-joint..

-Robb

Old 03-12-2008, 03:58 PM
MADVAN
Postmaster
Robb

Its my point. I dont think anything is wrong with the trans at all.
In the vid with the TDE program you can see the shiftpoints.
Looks like the power falls off and cannot pull threw the gears. Makes a mess of thing's and stacks the shifts. This looks to be motor tune.

The stock vid with "NAW" pulls clean, and looks good.

The TDE should be like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-6Fvm-12tQ

Strange!

Bill

Old 03-12-2008, 04:06 PM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Hummm.... Very very strange Bill, something just does not add up. If i'm light on the throttle, my shifts with TDE are similar to yours, it's as soon as I add up the throttle I start having problems. The truck pulls fine stock, and no loss of power before shifts. With the chip, I was on the Daily driver setting, I can't imagine that putting enough strain on the HPOP to run out of oil, and I pulled the MAPP and tried still. What the heck is going on here? It's like the mystery truck... I wasn't even on the throttle hard with the vids with the chip, in the stock vid, I was on it pretty good... i don't think that the engine isn't making enough power, pulls all the way through stock... Humm

-Robb

Old 03-12-2008, 04:13 PM
MADVAN
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Robbgt
Hummm.... Very very strange Bill, something just does not add up. If i'm light on the throttle, my shifts with TDE are similar to yours, it's as soon as I add up the throttle I start having problems. The truck pulls fine stock, and no loss of power before shifts. With the chip, I was on the Daily driver setting, I can't imagine that putting enough strain on the HPOP to run out of oil, and I pulled the MAPP and tried still. What the heck is going on here? It's like the mystery truck... I wasn't even on the throttle hard with the vids with the chip, in the stock vid, I was on it pretty good... i don't think that the engine isn't making enough power, pulls all the way through stock... Humm

-Robb
If it was oil it would cel and fall flat on its face.
And do not believe it to be TPS due to runs fine NAW.
Thats why the thought of mapp wigg.
Fuel supply would also make it fall on its face.
WTF!

Old 03-12-2008, 04:27 PM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
WTF!
Haha My thoughts exactly bill... There is nothing that leads me to believe there is any issue, Be it electrical or mechanical that would cause the truck to shift so poorly when chipped... It's just crazy... Maybe the truck just doesn't want to be chipped?? Who Knows... Tony is making me up a set of all new burns with basically stock shift logic on it... Maybe the line pressure is just to high the way it is now??? Bringing it back to stock will get the pressure back down and maybe better? Wish I knew more about transmissions than I do. Thanks for all the help so far bill, You've gone above and beyond to help me with this issue. I'll keep you posted. Heading back to MA for the week so i'll have time ro play around some more. Chip is overnight to Tx, should be back in truck mid week next week. Let you know how it goes... Anyone looking for a 97 PSD??? Hahahah J/k

Old 03-12-2008, 04:48 PM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
... Now see why I'd rather have a hand shaker than an auto? lol

Old 03-12-2008, 06:12 PM
MADVAN
Postmaster
... Now see why I'd rather have a hand shaker than an auto? lol
Not after you get to the bottom of this!
I believe this is more than just shift strat
Anything is possible
PCM and chip dont play well together for some reason

Bill

Old 03-12-2008, 06:48 PM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Bill, Think I should have my PCM flashed TDE1 by ford?? Think that would help the Chip/PCM deal??

-Robb

Old 03-12-2008, 06:58 PM
MADVAN
Postmaster
Bill, Think I should have my PCM flashed TDE1 by ford?? Think that would help the Chip/PCM deal??

-Robb
I dont know what to think as of now.
But would be best to have the latest and greatest before the chip.
I would e-mail the 2 vids chipped and unchipped to tony.
Would like to see what he has to say. Hmm

You should have a DPC 202

Bill

Old 03-12-2008, 08:38 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well since the problem has changed with only removing the chip I would have to say its a programming issue. I would do as Bill has said email Tony links to both vid's and see what he says.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:46 PM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Thanks guys, Video's sent
Tim... Think i should Flash PCM to TDE1? Or just leave it alone for now...

You should have a DPC 202

Bill
Bill... whats that a code for???

-Robb

Quick Reply: STILL Shift issues...