Will It Fit---1934/1936

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 11:54 PM
Silent Sam
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Will It Fit---1934/1936

OK...testing the rest of the "old guys" out there.

I need to know if..

The 1934 Ford Car..Steering colume, (how-d-ya spell that?)...
And steering gear box ..can be installed in my 1936 Ford Pickup

..Is steering box, "gear ratio" the same as the 36 Ford Pickup ?

...AND , Will it fit (bolt-in) in my 1936 Ford Pickup...?

Old 03-12-2008, 11:06 AM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Hmmn, it'd be close, but I'd be willing to bet there are enough differences (column drop mount, length, etc) that would require some extra fabbing and massaging.

Also, the angle of the column might be different as well...if it is, problem with drilling new holes in the mount plate would throw the cross steer way off.

What part of Ca. are you in? I have a spare '35/36 PU column/box you can compare the '34 car one to to give you an idea.

Old 03-13-2008, 12:21 AM
SC Silent Sam SOFWW
Freshman User
Mike ...
I hope this gets thru..
Thanks for your reply as to "will it fit"....
I tried to answer thru my ISP...but they have screwed over me for years...
I couldnt unravel the tec-o-complications..and so I am back as yet again "a new member".. "SC Silent Sam SOFWW" (and wont be useing the "Silent Sam" spot anymore)
SEE I REALLY DO HATE HI-TEC..but I win
Anyway the 36 ford pick up has been in the family since new..on my granpa's Hereford Ranch in the Sand Hills area of western Nebraska..my brother and I both learned to drive in it, back in the early 50's....My brother has it now, in Wyoming...after being out in the ranch country the other day "drinking whiskey and burnin black powder".. he found the old 34 ford, with the "banjo steering wheel..and called me to see if I could get "interchange info"....
He dumped all his hi-tec vehicles about 4 years ago and only drives the 36 and a 63 fairlane 500...
He is VERY knowledgable on flat heads...and most fords up til about 1973

Anyway...

I'm in Oroville...aprox 75 miles north of Sacramento.. age 62...hardheaded...not a member of the "NEW GENERATION"..nor buying in to it !...well --anymore than I have to
Gotta 91 Dodge Spirit 3ltr V6.....92 Ford Ranger Xcab 4ltr V6 E4OD.....97 F-250HD 4X4 7.3 Power Stroke Diesel CrewCab Short Box....30ft Travel Trailer...2002 Kawasaki 1500fi Vulcan Nomad...1986 yamaha MOTO 4 four wheeler...TWO Yamaha Generaters...TWO Chain Saws...one weed eater...a lawn mower...and a gas powered pressure washer !
DAM..no wonder I aint got any "gas money"

Old 03-13-2008, 09:11 AM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Sam, the steering wheel should fit on the '36 (assuming it's a Ford wheel) if that's all he wants...reason is Ford didn't start with Banjo wheels until 35 or 36...so someone must have used a later wheel on the '34.

Now he needs to be careful taking off the banjo wheel, assuming it has a horn cap and light rod through it...he'll need to pull a little "clip" at the end of the box, and I think there is also a spring and maybe a nut too...it's been awhile since I tooko mine apart.

Anyway, the horn cap/rod assembly need to be slid out first, then the steering wheel...the wheel should be on a tapered shaft with a Keyway...don't put too much pressure with a puller on it, use liberal amounts of penetrating oil...best to take his time, than detroy the back side of the wheel.

Also brings up an interesting question too...what's the '34 look like?

Can't have too many old, old Fords in the stable!

Old 03-13-2008, 10:48 PM
SC Silent Sam SOFWW
Freshman User
Talking Will it fit....Banjo Steering wheel and column w/gear box

Thanks for more info....
I will talk to my brother this week some time...
But he made it clear.. that his -main need- is a new (34 car?) steering gear box..
..and is concerned as to any "ratio" differences and bolt in modifications

He told me he thought someone had "up-dated" the steering wheel -but will use it -has been looking for one !

I'll ask him about the condition of the "rest" of the car...as he finds --most of his parts- at old vacant ranches, mines, and in "blow-out's, and dry washes !

Called me yesterday..was 4X4ing with a friend, way out in western Nebraska..looking for an old 54 ford.....was told "you can just put a battery in it and drive away"...Found it, was just a rusted husk..in a blow-out..no frame "nothing useful at all"....

The guy who told him about it is 71.....back in about 19----61---62 my brother worked for him at a gas station the guy owned...the guy had a little dog.."Jake" was always running away from home and showing up at the station...So to give the dog the idea he otta stay home my brother spray painted him...RED....didnt hurt the dog...but that old boys wife was really mad...but kept the dog home after that !
I'm thinking that 50 years later the run to the boondocks on $4 gal gasoline is a little bit of long awaited PAY-BAK !

Old 03-14-2008, 09:32 AM
3Mike6
Postmaster
lol, I love stories like that, I'll be the guy was chuckling all day

I'll check the # of turns on my '36 box today so he can compare.

Old 03-15-2008, 10:28 PM
SC Silent Sam SOFWW
Freshman User
Mike....SILENT SAM Here !
I just talked to my brother...
As per the 34 Ford..you ask about the condition it is in..
He told me he found it on an abandoned ranch in North East Wyoming...(he does a lot of coyote hunting)..contacted the property owner, and was told to "haul it off"
Was body and frame, 5 window coupe...no motor/trans...
Was in such good condition the wooden body structure's still had the black paint on them
sold it for $6000. and is now under construction, as a street rod...
He said he only kept the steering wheel (a 35 banjo steering wheel) and the colume/gear box...
If you are looking for anything --- I'll let him know