Can Bio really be this easy?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 12:54 PM
simpsomatt
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can Bio really be this easy?

On another bulletin board, people were whining about diesel prices, and somebody posted this easy "recipe" for biodiesel:

Quick and easy quasi-biodiesel recipe:
15 gallons used veggie oil
5 gallons Kerosene
1 gallon Gasoline
1 pint Heet

Mix. Filter through two household water filters (5 micron) until it looks and feels like diesel fuel.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you get your oil free, this should be under $1/gallon. No modifications to the truck are needed.
The person who posted it claims to know someone who has been running a truck on it for a year with no issues. But I'm a little skeptical. It seems like if it was really this easy, all the folks who are using much more complicated processes would have caught on. I don't know much about creating BD, but from what I've read here, glycerine removal seems to be important, and this doesn't seem to allow for that, unless they're catching it in those water filters, which doesn't seem likely.

Any thoughts? Is this a good way to save money, or a good way to ruin an expensive engine?

Old 03-07-2008, 02:12 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by simpsomatt
On another bulletin board, people were whining about diesel prices, and somebody posted this easy "recipe" for biodiesel:

The person who posted it claims to know someone who has been running a truck on it for a year with no issues. But I'm a little skeptical. It seems like if it was really this easy, all the folks who are using much more complicated processes would have caught on. I don't know much about creating BD, but from what I've read here, glycerine removal seems to be important, and this doesn't seem to allow for that, unless they're catching it in those water filters, which doesn't seem likely.

Any thoughts? Is this a good way to save money, or a good way to ruin an expensive engine?

Pure Snake oil!

Really, you where right the first time. A sure fire way to ruin your engine.

The ONLY way to make Biodiesel is transesterification, anything else is just blending.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:44 AM
firemediceric
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been running a blend for two years. No transesterfication. No methanol. No lye. No glycerin to deal with.

Not quite as easy as the OP put it. but my system has been working well for me.

I have quite a few posts here and on other forums that a quick search should turn up

Old 03-11-2008, 11:08 AM
AndysFords
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have been running a mix similar to this for 2 years, as long as you stay away from hydrogenated oils and/or lard, and filter properly, you should run find through a NON ELECTRONIC Engine. I don't know how it would run in an electronic engine, I haven't tried it, I'm kind of scared to. A 93 back Dodge works best, it will even start on the coldest mornings on the mix. I have recently added a heated fuel filter, not a big time heated tank system, but a simple Heated fuel filter I bought from Racor for $150 . It works great, my truck seems to have more power since that addition.