1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Question about intercooling & engine mechanics

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 10:24 PM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
Question about intercooling & engine mechanics

Alright guys, so I was on the john (where I do al my best thinking) and was thinking about intercooling (why i was, i do not know...)...Now correct me if I'm wrong, but the way the PSD, and most diesels work is air enters the cylinder, under positive pressure from the turbo, and is compressed, thus heated. Once the piston reaches TDC (or a micro second before that) fuel is injected under extremely high pressure, enough to overcome the compresses hot air (why we need HPOP) and because the air is so hot, the atomized fuel ignites. Correct so far?

NOW an intercooler taked the compressed air, and cools it, also making it denser before it enters the combustion chaimber. The air is then compressed and ignited. So...

Is because the cooler air is denser (thus you could fit more cooler air in the same area as a hotter air) the reason that a intercooler is benificial? I'm assuming that it gets up to the same temp when compressed so that when the diesel is injected it can be ignited... and I know that an intercooler results in lower EGT's (I think) just trying to see where the actual performance is gained.

My theory is: more cooler air can fit in the cylinder than hotter air, thus there is more air available for air/fuel mixture thus more power... sound right?

-Robb

Old 03-10-2008, 10:45 PM
NWO_diesel_nut
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Not sure about it lowering EGT's, but otherwise correct. Adding cooler, denser air will create greater combustion ratio in cylinder and burn fuel more completely.

Old 03-10-2008, 10:46 PM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Cool, thanks just wanted someone to confirm... I like to know the mechanics of how stuff works. Good deal

-Robb

Old 03-11-2008, 08:48 AM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Robb you are right on. IC cools the intake air that is heated when compresser (and absorbs heat) from the turbo. The more dense air enters the cylinder and is compressed which heats it then fuel is injected and lite by the hot air.

IC do lower EGT's. I saw 150-200 drop in mine. I can't really explain it but I think it has more to do with O2 volume than it does with temperature.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:52 AM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Thanks Tim Just trying to get a better understanding of this stuff and see if intercooling would be a good idea for me down the road... Thanks!

-Robb

Old 03-11-2008, 08:58 AM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
intercooling is always a good idea!!

Old 03-11-2008, 09:08 AM
FARM69
Postmaster
Ditto. I saw the same result with my intercooler. Especially during the winter when the engine is cold.

Is it possible to have air that's too cold? I was always told that the best ambient air temps was in the 50's IIRC.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:16 AM
Flea
Elder User
What is the rule with grill covers and intercoolers? Why can't you use a grill cover with an intercooler?
I understand if your egts get up there you need to take off your grill cover but wouldn't you need one in the really cold months?

Old 03-11-2008, 09:19 AM
FARM69
Postmaster
I've never heard of a rule. The covers on our rigs cover 80% of the grille, but that is more of a (is the fan gonna kick on) deal than egts.

I put a seedcorn sack between my ic and radiator. So the intercooler is getting that cold air but not the rad.