1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

"96 Having starting trouble

Old 03-10-2008, 02:10 PM
driver444
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"96 Having starting trouble

Hey guys, first post here, and could use some help.

I have a 1996 F-350. Bought it new. 86,000 miles on it now. I only drive 3 months out of the year. I've noticed a little trouble getting it started getting progressively worse over the last couple years. (I only drive it about 4,000 miles a year)

I noticed it requires ALOT of cranking time before she finally fires. (several seconds)
I thought it was the typical glow plug, or relay or injector thing, BUT... ... When the truck starts and warms up, it runs like a bear, even towing my boat, so I ruled out injectors. I replaced the glow plugs (yesterday), and the relay, and even tested the new ones. All is good there.

Here's the thing that confuses me. After all that cranking, and getting it started, I can shut it off, and restart it immediately. But if I wait any more than 5 minutes, it has to crank a long time again to start as if it was a cold start.

There is the typical start-up smoke, but that goes away quick, and the truck runs clean.
I'm thinking this is a fuel related problem. You can almost tell that when the fuel actually hits the injectors, It immediately fires on all 8 cyliders with authority. Can the fuel pump "lose prime" causing the system to have to "recharge" after shutting it down? Is there a check valve? What's going on here?

I should add that when I had the top cover off, I did notice the big banjo bolt with the high pressure lines on the pump had a film of fuel on it, (just enough to wet my finger) and there seemed to be some oil residue on or in the 2 hoses on the y-pipe from the turbo, but no puddles in the engine valley.

I appreciate any help

Old 03-10-2008, 02:13 PM
driver444
New User
I also should say the truck has to crank a long time even if the engine is HOT, if it has been shut off for a few minutes.

Old 03-10-2008, 02:24 PM
immastrokinnow
Elder User
hpop reservior leak down? some body else will chime in but i had that problem a while back an that wound up being the cause.

Old 03-10-2008, 02:24 PM
immastrokinnow
Elder User
oh and welcome to FTE. dan

Old 03-10-2008, 03:07 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like the High pressure oil pump reservior leaking down.remove the plug on the driveside of the plug before you crank the engine. It should be very close to the top. anything more than an inch low and you have a drain back issue.

Old 03-10-2008, 03:47 PM
driver444
New User
I just ran out and checked my high pressure oil res. The oil level is less than a 1/2 inch from the top. I can see it.

So what should I check next?
P.S. thanks for the quick replies

Old 03-10-2008, 07:13 PM
immastrokinnow
Elder User
youll have to wait for tj or another. cuz i would have bet money that the hpop would have been it.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:19 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

had the truck been sitting long enough to have the hard starting? Also just for the fun of it check the oil level on the dip stick.

When was the last time the fuel filter was changed? Might be worth it to check the fuel pressure regulator screen as well.

Also just for giggles unplug the ICP sensor and see if it will start better. see pic above
Do you have access or a friend who has a scanner to look at data?

Old 03-10-2008, 07:41 PM
driver444
New User
Dipstick oil level is OK.
fuel filter was changed a month ago, and the truck's only been driven a couple hundred miles since then.
I've always been ridiculously religeous about maintenance.

The truck wasn't started since yesterday. (5 minutes would be long enough for it to start hard.)

So I'll try the ICP thing, and get back to you.

BY THE WAY, where would this fuel regulator screen be? Actually, where is the regulator anyway. I hate to sound stupid. just trying to save a trip to the dealer.
Also, by scanner, to you mean the ones you can buy at the store. I'd be willing to part with the money if it tells me what's goin on.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:53 PM
driver444
New User
OK, the unplugging the ICP thing didn't change anything.

Could weak batteries be the culprit? Not saying they are, but haven't checked them. My original batteries lasted 7 years, these are almost 5. Jusy wondering if that would be enough of an issue to cause my problem.

As I said earlier, I don't drive this truck once the salt hits the roads, and it does sit for long periods.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:57 PM
Action4478
Hotshot
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by driver444
OK, the unplugging the ICP thing didn't change anything.

Could weak batteries be the culprit? Not saying they are, but haven't checked them. My original batteries lasted 7 years, these are almost 5. Jusy wondering if that would be enough of an issue to cause my problem.

As I said earlier, I don't drive this truck once the salt hits the roads, and it does sit for long periods.
Sure can .... have them charged & tested (load tested ).....

Old 03-10-2008, 08:05 PM
driver444
New User
OK, will do.

Also, I put an air pressure guage on it, and fuel pressure while running is a steady 60psi.

Old 03-10-2008, 08:08 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

yep weak batteries could be the problem. With our trucks they can seem to crank over fast enough but not really and not heat the Glow plugs enough. I have seen it a number of times where the batteries even test good but marginal. Replace the batteries and it starts like a new truck.

BTW for a scanner the cheap ones in most stores don't work in out trucks.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:40 PM
driver444
New User
ok, we'll do the battery thing tomorrow. I really appreciate all the replies

Search this Thread