2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Volant issues...

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 09:52 PM
silver lariat
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So explain to me again --- you being a mechanic and all --- if it's a bad MAF, how is that the fault of the Volant CAI???

Old 03-12-2008, 01:25 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DOORSR
So you're saying the reason I modified my tube is the reason I got a CEL light?
yes. the shape of the tube can and does have a significant impact on airflow. about 1 yr ago, there were several CAI's on the market that caused CEL's because of their shape. 99% are good now though after customer feedback and redesign

I really doubt that moron
from the guy who forced a component to work and now wonders why it's running wierd

My complaint is I shouldn't have to modify something I paid 400$
your right...as I've already said, that was the 1st clue that something was wrong. but, being the Mechanic with the most tools, you just forged on blindly

should have shopped around more. I got mine for $270 and it was the "newest" product on the market

My guess....would be a bad MAF. I'll try cleaning it and see what happens.
and this dirty/bad maf just happened to occur at the same time as your CAI install. wow, as Thelma would say "Jinkies". perhaps you pulled a wire loose when you were custom "adjusting" your Volant to fit

that is what a Volant is supposed to look like installed. you can see how the MAF wires are not stretched in any sense, and have more than enough play. the sensor is in the exact same location as OEM

Old 03-12-2008, 06:16 PM
4DOORSR
Senior User
^^Talk about taking this forum far too seriously. Buddy you need to relax. I'll stick with my opinion and bash the product every chance I get just in spite of you. Enjoy!

Old 03-12-2008, 07:36 PM
silver lariat
Senior User
Yes, and part of the reason i come to this forum repeatedly is to get info and help from guys I know I can trust, who form informed opinions and aren't afraid to admit they made a mistake. Based on the previous two posts I just added one name to my buddy list and one to my ignore list. Wonder who went where?

Old 03-13-2008, 02:59 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
^^Talk about taking this forum far too seriously.

Buddy you need to relax. I'll stick with my opinion and bash the product every chance I get just in spite of you. Enjoy!
...you have a legit reason for complaint concerning the fitment of the tube. thats about it. everything else that you have been experiencing is directly your fault. bash away. I'll be sure to refer anyone who might be persuaded by your posts to what you personally did

but seriously, did you unplug the battery for at least 30 minutes before/during/after the install?

the pcm has to relearn basic calibration specs on how to run with the new intake. that alone may be causing your CEL stock or volant intake installed.

also, the MAF may have been energized (who knows?) when you unplugged it, and on subsequent plugging it back in...and basically got something like static discharge, and fried the MAF

Old 03-14-2008, 07:33 AM
4DOORSR
Senior User
I was gonna let this die but I figured I'd respond. The cause of the cel wasn't a bad maf, it was a bad coil on the opposite harness side. I was complaining about the problems I was having when completing such a small and brainless install. I never said the cai killed my maf. They are sensitive and sometimes just die out real easy. Thus the reason I thought I messed it up somehow yet I was very careful with it. I was pissed because I paid alot of money(Remember I'm in Canada) for something that didn't fit right. I'm a very impatient person and waiting isn't my thing. The shape of the tube was great, no flow problems. I wouldn't have installed it if there were obvious defects. I fixed it so it fit properly. I wouldn't have called the product crap if you hadn't responded the way you did. Calling people lame for fixing something without causing themselves a lot of stress or money is well...pretty lame and I didn't appreciate it. Thus calling you a moron, which I suppose was uncalled for. Anyways I still think people ought to know the product might not be a 100% perfect fit like they expect it to be.

Old 03-14-2008, 10:26 AM
slf06150
Junior User
I have heard of a couple that do not fit right. Even if you got it to fit you should pull it off and send it back and ask for another one due to a bad casting. Mine fit perfect '05 Fx4; I also installed the ram tube + custom tuned after the CAI install. When we hooked up a laptop to the truck we saw that the Volant was causing it to run 9% lean we adjusted for that and it runs great now. Even though the truck was running lean it never through any codes; however running that lean could cause problems later.

Old 03-14-2008, 10:54 AM
SUPERDUTY_untouchabl
Posting Guru
^^Talk about taking this forum far too seriously. Buddy you need to relax. I'll stick with my opinion and bash the product every chance I get just in spite of you. Enjoy!

You dont bash a product in spite of some one. First off why would you tell tylus to relax and call him a moron when he is just trying to help. He said you need to send it back and have them send you a new one. Then you had to throw that your a better mechanic than most (or somthing like that) and have more tools than most. Well if you have been a mechanic for so long then you should have realized that it wasnt right and should have never put it on there in the first place. Its people like you who give company's bad names. You get one bad product and you automaticaly think the company is crap. People make mistakes as long with companys to. Nothing is perfect. Just send the thing back and get a refund since you seem to think it is "crap". Otherwise all were gona here about on here is how "crap" the thing is from you.

Old 03-14-2008, 08:45 PM
Twinsdad98
Elder User
I just got my replacement tube from Volant and the new one fits fine. MAF sensor slipped right in, no issues. They have corrected the manufacturing issue, so if you have one of the bad ones, call them up and they will replace it.

Old 03-16-2008, 05:18 PM
Super Trooper 07
New User
Originally Posted by tylus

but seriously, did you unplug the battery for at least 30 minutes before/during/after the install?

the pcm has to relearn basic calibration specs on how to run with the new intake. that alone may be causing your CEL stock or volant intake installed.
I'm doing this as I am installing my Volant (unplugging the battery). How should I proceed after I re-connect the batter so that the PCM will relearn the calibration?

Old 03-16-2008, 05:50 PM
Twinsdad98
Elder User
You don't need to do anything, the pcm will learn through your driving cycles.

Old 03-16-2008, 07:02 PM
F0rdzTuff
Elder User
Damn Canadians....(My sister was born in Winnepeg, so I can say that)