1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

fuel lines

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 12:52 AM
firebug
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fuel lines

I am needing to replace my fuel hoses that go from pump to filter housing, but a friend had told me to be careful and not lose the rod out of the fuel pump. He didn't go into any detail because at the time i wasn't ready to replace them, hes out of town now. Can anyone shed some light on this, thanks.

Old 03-10-2008, 01:51 AM
kawa
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you are just replacing the hoses there is no need to remove the pump. The hoses are high pressure hose. Ford sells them precut as a kit. Do not use standard fuel line.

If there is a need to remove the pump you will already have removed the fuel filter. Remove the the "Banjo" fuel fitting on the back of the pump (11/4") then remove the bolts. Either you Bump the engine or have someone turn it by hand. The pump will start to rise. When it stops rising it is now sitting on top of the lobe. Pull the pump STRAIGHT up, being carefull not to bend it side to side as it has been known to break.

As the pump clears the valley I always slip a finger under it & put pressure on the follower as a safty measure but I have never had a follower that didn't stay with the pump.

Hope this helps.

Rog