1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Utility bed is on the truck!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 11:08 PM
irondragon79
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Utility bed is on the truck!!

Hey all, for those of you who ave been following my project, I was able to get my new utilty bed set on the frame of my F-3 so I can get a better idea of what the final truck will look like. Unfortunately, with the snow on the ground I was only able to roll the truck partially out of the garage, so I wasn't able to get more than just a tail end shot. All I can say is I like it

The bed fits nice, but with the rear fenders centered on the rear tires, I have about a 6 inch gap behind the cab, and about 10 inches of my rear frame rails sticking out. Instead of heavily modifying the box, I think I may simply build a filler panel to cover the gap by the cab, and snub off a foot of frame in the rear.

Let me know what you all think, link to the gallery is below as well as a couple pics. Oh and in the gallery I also have a couple pics of a new drivers side front fender and a pair of fender extentions I've picked up.

... oh and yes, I know the bed is not centered side to side.. that SOB is heavy and I was happy to just get it off the trailer

https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...&albumid=33261

Old 03-09-2008, 11:14 PM
gdgerland
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jon, Very unusual. I like it!! Looks great.

Gil

Old 03-09-2008, 11:16 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Might not fit with your 4x4 plans, but I think it would look better channeled down on the frame a little, would help rear visibility too. Any simple way to do that? Or is it sitting up on blocks?

Old 03-09-2008, 11:22 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
I think it will look great as you described.
I am really surprised it takes up as much room as it does.
Swing out Vice mounted to the Frame Rail.

Here in PA we would be putting pop up doors on the sides and rears. Fill that Ol' Truck up with Walkers, Red Bones and Blue Ticks and be gettin after some Fox.

Old 03-09-2008, 11:28 PM
cmoritz
Posting Guru
Jon ,Looks good!!
Glad you had a safe trip!...I don't have a clue what to do with the cab/ bed gap...might just leave the gap there!!
I can't tell very well from the pics.., but I think the rear fenders need to come down,..\
Great Score!!! Keep it FUN!!!

Old 03-10-2008, 03:54 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
im not a fan of filler panels , seen a few screwed up messes , but i think with your talent it'd come out sweet . why not a big wide back bumper / deck plate ??? my grampa had a 71 1 ton work truck of his own for his on the side welding co. { allis chalmers welder / fabricator for 48 years } and he extended the frame rails in back and built a wide bumper / deck like im refering too to mount vises , and some other things to and gave him something of a work surface too . just an idea .

Old 03-10-2008, 04:13 AM
52'F-3
More Turbo

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm not sure if i like it, i've gotten use to looking at your stepside longbed and really like how that looks with your extended cab. I change my mind alot and sometimes things just have to grow on me. Also, I normally don't like filler panels, but with your sheetmetal skills i suspect it will look good.

I did have another idea; leave your regular bed on and make this into a pull behind trailer.

Old 03-10-2008, 06:52 AM
Walston
Cargo Master

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
I like it. It looks a little high, but since we can't see the front wheels, it may look right. I think you are building one cool truck.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:56 AM
LEckart
Posting Guru
I think the fenders look a little funky................what about putting regular bed fenders on it.........is there room? Overall, a very unique setup. I agree with the others that a little lower would look better. I bet that box is heavy so don't hurt yourself.

Old 03-10-2008, 08:02 AM
irondragon79
Posting Guru
Thanks for the comments so far. I agree that in the pics, the bed does look a little high, but a lot of that is a bit of an optical illusion because I am looking up the driveway (uphill). The bed does sit about an inch or so below the rear window and actually when I finish getting the cab mounted properly, it (the cab) will sit an inch or so higher than it currently is... putting the bed 2 or so inches lower than the back window.

I may try to channel it a touch, but with the way its built, I may only be able to get an inch or so of drop without effecting the structural framework of the bed.

Also, with bed, there is a roll pan type, rear skirt that extends down about 6 inches, however at some point in the past it was smashed up under the rear of the bed. Thankfully that is just simple sheetmetal and will be easily replaced

As far as the gap behind the cab, I guess I should have used the term "filler panel" loosely.. What I would actually do is lengthen the bed about 6 inches, which shouldn't be hard since the front wall of the box is actually bolted/screwed on. I'm actually thinking if I can build one more cabinet/storage rack would be nice.

I am definately looking to build a solid back bumper, something with a build in reciever hitch and a pair of tow hooks/recovery D-rings, maybe even a pintle hook.

I'm going to see if I can fit my original F-3 rear fenders on the bed, but I'll need to see if they will fit.. its going to be tight though.

I know this bed is very differant from what most people have, but it has quickly grown on me, and whats really nice is that its not going to take much work to get it back to prime condition. That 8ft express box I have is in such poor shape and although I could restore it, it would take a lot of time to do...so for now it will be put away into dry storage and maybe I'll try to fix it up for a future project. Hopefully in the next couple weekends I can get the truck rolled completely out of the garage (once the 2 inches of ice melts off the driveway), and get another round of pics.

Keep the comments coming

Old 03-10-2008, 08:20 AM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 262 Likes on 216 Posts
FWIW,to me the rear fenders give it the correct look. That's how old phone company beds looked. Utility in the simplest sense of the word.

Old 03-10-2008, 08:27 AM
irondragon79
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by truckdog62563
FWIW,to me the rear fenders give it the correct look. That's how old phone company beds looked. Utility in the simplest sense of the word.
I really am starting to like the look of the original utility bed fenders too. They di give it the correct look, and that are in nice shape... not to mention the fact that they are made out of 1/8 steel. I couple easily extend them down far enough in the front to be able to blend them into my F-3 running boards.

Old 03-10-2008, 08:53 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
yer too far away or my next months ration / truck fund would be to ask about yer old bed for my f-4 . ... oh well .

Old 03-10-2008, 08:54 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,831 Likes on 1,833 Posts
Jon,
I like it! I would love to see a full side on shot of it.

You mentioned the front of it being bolted on and that it might be an easy modification to add 6" to the front of the beast. How hard would it be to add all the lenght you need to the front and then move the fenders to recenter them over the wheels? (that is if you decide to keep the utility fenders)

I think using the truck fenders, like you originally were thinking, would give it a really cool look as well.

I can't wait to see the full on side shots. I'll keep my fingers crossed that you get a break in the weather

Bobby

Old 03-10-2008, 08:55 AM
cmoritz
Posting Guru
Jon, I like to 'mock' things up ,as you have this far,..then walk around it from different angles...
Set it out side and approach it from different angles ,adjust slowly until it settles into place, to me thats always the fun part!
I like the box setting under the rear glass of the cab , might help you see to back-up.
Just an idea.., how about an extension like an air dam you see on the roof's of 18 wheelers..but in reverse for the cab to box gap? Have Fun!!

Quick Reply: Utility bed is on the truck!!