Nebraska Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: 97nukeford

Can Anybody help me get a title?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 08:19 PM
iwillflybyu
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can Anybody help me get a title?

Hey guys, I got my DREAM pickup and the family did extensive research but couldnt find the title. This guys dad bought some old vehicles and had them stashed away and I found them...HA. Anyways they don't believe that he ever had the titles changed into his name after he bought them. This 1956 F100 is sweeeet, my guess is that he bought it from Colorado since the plates were from 1984 in CO. I was trying to see if any of you smart fellows knew how I had to go about getting a title for this baby. All help is greatly appreciated...I think you guys will like it. Its complete, all of the parts are in the back and it even has the rear fender skirts too!! I dont want to put any money into it until I know that I can get a title for it. He did give me a "bill of sale" stating that they couldnt find a title after his death. Anyways you will see why I want to get a title....THANK YOU FOR HELPING!!

Old 03-09-2008, 09:12 PM
cowboywanabe
Posting Legend
Since you have a bill of sale and the VIN, check with your county DMV office and see if that is all you need. If that doesn't work, you can probably check with the State of Colorado using the plate number and VIN. I'd check for a web site in Colorado, they seem to be ahead of the game, compared to Nebraska, with putting services on the web.

Oh, and that is one sweet truck! What a find!

Old 03-10-2008, 09:04 AM
67nukeford
Super Moderator
Received 221 Likes on 180 Posts
Nice find Anthony! You should be able to dig something up, doing what Rob said. They may do a title search. and if nothing come up, then they could reissue it.

Old 03-10-2008, 10:56 AM
husker
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts
In Kansas, if it is over 50 years old, you can title it with a bill of sale. Don't know about Nebraska. Tell you what. you sell it to me with a bill of sale for $1 and I'll get the title and then keep it. LOL

Really, I hope you are able to get it titled. 56 effies are about as cool as you can get in a truck.

Old 03-10-2008, 06:25 PM
iwillflybyu
Senior User
I might have to work a deal out with somebody in Kansas since these people in Phelps County are difficult when it comes to problems like this. I called the County Treasurer today and they gave me the run around saying that I have to get an origional title either from the person who died or the person who had it before this guy in 1985. Both ideas are a pain in my rear but I guess whatever it takes, but I would rather just do it myself.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:29 PM
bucks77ford
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Why can't all states have a clause that if a vehicle is over "so many" years, all is needed is a bill of sale. I just don't get it. The older a vehicle is, the harder it is to keep a title around. In many situations, the original owners pass away and titles get lost or destroyed. And if you keep them inside the vehicles for storage, than mice get to them. DMV's are making it hard for people to keep these priceless relics around. I mean lets face it, if you can't get a title, than why put money into it. Realistically, that truck will not be road worthy unless its fixed up, and basically after fixing it up, it will be like a whole new vehicle. Therefore, a new title should be issued. BUT, that's never the case. If you could find another truck of the same era to use for parts or whatnot with a title, than you could use that title. Bottom line is, at least NE and MN, you need a title to start with.

I have a buddy who went through the "ringer" trying to get a title for his 69 Camaro he bought from a guy in New York. In New York back then, there were never titles issued. All you needed was a bill of sale. The MN DMV couldn't understand that. He eventually Moved to South Dakota temporarily for his job and had a title issued through them while he was there ( they only required a bill of sale ).

But, hey, I'm sure maybe one of those Nice Kansas Folks could help you out. I hope it works out, cuz, that's a sweet old truck.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:53 PM
iwillflybyu
Senior User
Yeah I do agree, I would like to see a "50" year or older vehicle idea of just needing a bill of sale and VIN background check to make sure its legit. I didnt steal it and I am not afraid to say that I GOT THIS PICKUP TO RESTORE, I dont want it as a parts truck. I NEED a title so give me one Phelps county. I am trying to get ahold of the person who had it liscesend in Colorado so they can file a lost title, but its not going very well right now.

Old 03-10-2008, 08:25 PM
bucks77ford
Post Fiend
http://broadwaytitle.com/

You may want to check these guys out. I seen this link on the General Forums. I think it could be a little expensive, but it might be something worth checking into if all else fails trying to find the original owner.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:42 PM
iwillflybyu
Senior User
That may be the way to go too Pat, Im not sure if thats a really good way to do it or if it even works, using that broadwaytitle site, but I may soon find out. I found a similar site to that one too but its from Las Vegas and I dont trust many people from that city. Thanks for the idea.

Old 03-10-2008, 11:13 PM
bucks77ford
Post Fiend
I was going to contact them a while back just to see how it works, but right now they are only titling up to 1974. And I also have my doubts about companies like that, but it may be worth checking into at least for Plan B or Plan C anyway. Good Luck..

Old 03-11-2008, 11:41 PM
iwillflybyu
Senior User
Forget it guys!! I researched all weekend and most of the nights and contacted the person who REALLY owns this 56 after HOURS of trying to find who had it last registered. Got the real story, the guy from Colorado STILL owns it and just had his nephew find a place to store it. He bought it in 59 and never drove it on a bad day. The motor is a FRESH rebuilt 272 v8. I asked the guy if he could go and get a new title since it was "lost" after he sold the pickup to the guy (who died) that I bought it from. Well he said that he didnt sell it and still owned it. I told him that it was in my shop and i just bought it....oh boy was this a conversation. After we both stopped stuttering he said that his nephew was actually trying to sell it for $7,000.00 bucks. I told him that he could have it back but it will be in my shop for a while yet if anybodys interested. So I guess my search is still going on for a 56 ford WITH A TITLE. Thanks anyways guys for the ideas.
My 2008 is ruined!!

Old 03-12-2008, 01:51 AM
bucks77ford
Post Fiend
Man, that really sucks.....sorry to hear that. Man, that guy must be an A$$. He sold it but never gave up the title and now he wants it back. If he is insistant on taking it back, I'd at least get my money back or for storage and if he still is a JERK, I'd take it apart and let him deal with it.

Old 03-12-2008, 07:25 AM
iwillflybyu
Senior User
Well the guy who I bought it from told me that his dad bought it before he died, but he really didnt. So he sold me a pickup that wasnt even his although he lead me to believe that it was his family estates now since his dad died. I just found this out after I found the "previous owner" to ask him about filing for a lost title. darn it

Old 03-12-2008, 07:26 AM
iwillflybyu
Senior User
well of to work i go....what a droopy day now.....

Old 03-12-2008, 07:46 AM
67nukeford
Super Moderator
Received 221 Likes on 180 Posts
You know what really sucks about this? This truck will probably just sit for another 20 years. He ought to just sell it to you Anthony, since he obviously wasn't doing anythign with it. That's crap!!!

Quick Reply: Can Anybody help me get a title?