6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

boost wont hit 20 lbs.

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 07:31 PM
tommpa
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
boost wont hit 20 lbs.

I was coming home tonight on the turn pike. Went to pass a car and had no power. RPM hit 3000 but boost would not go past 20. I top out at 70 once it gets moving. Does anyone have an idea what it might be. When I went to pull out from the booth it would hit 40 and die unitl I got it rolling. I quess it is to the garage tomorrow morning.

Old 03-10-2008, 11:24 AM
farnorthdan
Junior User
Regen

Sounds like the truck may have been in regen mode. I've experienced the same and it only lasted for a couple of minutes then back to normal.

Old 03-10-2008, 01:16 PM
SANDDEMON08
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by tommpa
I was coming home tonight on the turn pike. Went to pass a car and had no power. RPM hit 3000 but boost would not go past 20. I top out at 70 once it gets moving. Does anyone have an idea what it might be. When I went to pull out from the booth it would hit 40 and die unitl I got it rolling. I quess it is to the garage tomorrow morning.
I think i would look your hoses on the boost side of the turbo and around the air cooler, sounds like you might have a boost leak. Regen only robs about 25 hp according to ford. Regen would not top you out at 70 unless you had a serious load but at that point passive regen should be gettin the job done in lue of active regen.

Old 03-10-2008, 02:03 PM
tommpa
Junior User
I took it to the dealer this morning. Told advisor problem and told him about the boost. He asked me if I installed a boost guage. I told that truck comes with one. He said he did not know that. Anyway he went out and tried to duplicate it and it did what I told him the problem was. He said yep you have a power problem. I had them work on truck before so I know the Mechanics are pretty good, at least better the advisor, thank god. They gave me a car and said they will call later today with the diagnosis. Wait and see.

Old 03-10-2008, 02:18 PM
SANDDEMON08
Posting Guru

[QUOTE=tommpa]I took it to the dealer this morning. Told advisor problem and told him about the boost. He asked me if I installed a boost guage. I told that truck comes with one. He said he did not know that. QUOTE]

WOW

Like you said hopefully the guys working on it are better informed.

Old 03-10-2008, 02:35 PM
tommpa
Junior User
I knew that I would get a response out you SANDDEMON. The one I talked to last time was more knowledgeable of the truck. This guy was some young kid, the other advisor had a customer with him already.

Old 03-11-2008, 06:45 PM
tommpa
Junior User
bad replacement parts

Well dealer called me today. They had to replace a sensor, they did not tell which sensor. What do you know they put the new one in and tried to calibrate it, it failed. Brand new out of the box. They said that they are sending it back and hope the new one works tomorrow. I just hope that they do not get one from the same lot or it will probably fail also. Well one more day in loaner. If i get back tomorrow I will post what they did to correct boost and power problem.

Old 03-12-2008, 11:42 AM
Chauncey
Senior User
Originally Posted by tommpa
I took it to the dealer this morning. Told advisor problem and told him about the boost. He asked me if I installed a boost guage. I told that truck comes with one. He said he did not know that.

The apparent ignorace of many FORD trained service advisers never ceases to amaze me. Fortunately, I have one that is willing to learn. FORD salemen, (the ones I've encountered) are even worse when it comes to new product knowledge. Thank God for FTE

Old 03-12-2008, 02:55 PM
mcc
New User
Ignorance?! Get this .... brought my truck into the dealer for my free oil change. I wanted to bring up that my tail pipe is beginning to show soot, service writer has one of the techs come over to look. He says that is normal, yet there was another '08 in the next lane over with 3600 miles ,, mine has 4900 ,,, that was perfectly clean? After talking to them, & quoting users experiences on this site, they said they will check it out further next week. During this conversation the 2 service writers start asking about my regen experiences .. which they obviously new little about. To shorten this ,, 45 minutes later I had 12 people ... techs, service writers, and shop foreman asking me everything from difference between passive vs. active regen , milage differences when regenning , noises made, & such. Answered every one of thier questions & then they ask how I know so much ,,, I told them I read this site everyday. All of them wrote the site name down. Hopefully at least MY dealer will become more educated and not question owners who bring in thier trucks. Cannot thank all the contributors to this site enough for educating me on REAL world experiences with this truck!

Old 03-12-2008, 03:15 PM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,392 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Well mcc you need to post more, rep points to you for reading though...

Old 03-12-2008, 05:09 PM
SANDDEMON08
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by mcc
Ignorance?! Get this .... brought my truck into the dealer for my free oil change. I wanted to bring up that my tail pipe is beginning to show soot, service writer has one of the techs come over to look. He says that is normal, yet there was another '08 in the next lane over with 3600 miles ,, mine has 4900 ,,, that was perfectly clean? After talking to them, & quoting users experiences on this site, they said they will check it out further next week. During this conversation the 2 service writers start asking about my regen experiences .. which they obviously new little about. To shorten this ,, 45 minutes later I had 12 people ... techs, service writers, and shop foreman asking me everything from difference between passive vs. active regen , milage differences when regenning , noises made, & such. Answered every one of thier questions & then they ask how I know so much ,,, I told them I read this site everyday. All of them wrote the site name down. Hopefully at least MY dealer will become more educated and not question owners who bring in thier trucks. Cannot thank all the contributors to this site enough for educating me on REAL world experiences with this truck!
Next time tell them you will swap out your consulting services for future repairs on your truck. Thats some funny sh-t there.

Old 03-12-2008, 06:54 PM
tommpa
Junior User
Talking problem fixed truck back on road

It was the EGR sensor that went bad. Press the peddle down and it moves now. Three days and 2 sensors but it is fixed. I was a little disappoointed that it was not washed this time. Oh well it will probably rain in the next day or so anyway.
I think that service advisor and mechanics should get one of these trucks for a week each and find out what they are all about. What regen is and does. And look at the instrument cluster to see what gauges we have. That is my two cents. Maybe I will call service manager and suggest that tomorrow.

Old 03-17-2008, 10:36 PM
08SuperDuty
New User
?

Originally Posted by farnorthdan
Sounds like the truck may have been in regen mode.
This is my first PowerStroke and Turbo. I have the manual so I would have just downshifted. What is regen?

Old 03-18-2008, 03:19 PM
cads03
Senior User
Originally Posted by 08SuperDuty
This is my first PowerStroke and Turbo. I have the manual so I would have just downshifted. What is regen?
You need to read more on this site.

With the latest emissions crap the gov't has placed on the automakers, this new truck has what they call a Diesel Particulate Filter or DPF for short. It does exactly as the title describes, it traps all the diesel particulates, which is why you'll never see a new diesel blow black smoke. Well, every so often, +/- 400 miles or so, depending on how you drive, the truck has to clean out the dpf, to do this, it goes into regen mode. Essentially, it uses extra fuel to heat the exhaust temperature up to a point that it burns out the crap that's trapped in the filter. It usually takes 5 - 20 min. again depending on driving conditions. This is called "Active" regeneration. The truck will also do a passive regeneration, which essentially, from what I've read and experianced, you don't even know the truck is doing it. Say for instance, you're pulling a heavy load and by virtue already getting the exhaust hot enough by normal driving to clean the filter out. It will however still go into regen, but it won't last nearly as long.

Guys....how'd I do?

Old 03-18-2008, 05:07 PM
rmosso1
Posting Guru
cads03:

You did good. I always think of it as something like an org...m. You don't know how to explain it. You don't know what it is until you experience one. Once you experience a bad one, you want to go to better service department. AND, when you get old, you want one, but can't get one, active or passive! Much like my truck at 3300 miles. No noticeable REGEN to date.