1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

How does hood come off

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 08:11 PM
JimG1098
Fleet Mechanic
Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts
How does hood come off

Im thinking of taking the hood and fenders off. while i clean up everything preparing for the future. How does the hood come off and in what sequence. 54 F-750 . It closes and opens ok, and lines up. And is it a 2 man job

JimG

Old 03-06-2008, 08:31 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you have no real reason for taking the hood off then don't.
If it works well now well-----

Old 03-06-2008, 09:07 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,838 Likes on 1,837 Posts
Originally Posted by JimG1098
It closes and opens ok, and lines up.

JimG
Jim,

Ditto to what Dick said. Leave it alone, but if you really feel you have to mess with it then you better follow the following steps;

1. Make sure you have a decent parts chaser vehicle (something that will go from Point A to Point B and back again without any problems or worries)
2. Using any means possible, locate any and all establishments within a 30 mile radius that sells frosty beverages
3. Make prefunctory calls to several buddies, work into the conversation that you may require some assistance (note location of buddies to frosty beverage establishments....just in case)
4. Make sure shop fridge is fully stocked with frosty beverages
4(a) if shop fridge is not available then dig around the back of the shop and locate that old cooler, find a place for the stuff that is in it and go wash it out (soap is optional)
4(b) fill cooler with frosty beverages and ice, add just a splash of water (a couple of inches in the bottom will do) ((on particularly hot days a sprinkle of rock salt is a nice addition to the ice))
5. Approach truck from the front, open and close hood several times before leaving it in the open position.
6. Contemplate the status of the underside of the hood, is it dirty? caked with goo? paint blistered? etc
7. Carefully assess how the hinges attach to the hood and truck, pay special attention to the pivot points
8. Close hood, open frosty beverage
9. Call friends (2 to 3 is good, 5 or 6 is a great party)
10. While waiting for friends, pace back and forth in front of truck, wring hands while trying to maintain a thoughtful and worried expression on your face while repeating to yourself "am I doing the right thing? am I nuts?"
11. as friends start arriving provide them with frosty beverages
12. discuss last nights scores (basketball, baseball, football, the race, amatuer night at the local strip club, etc)
13. dissappear into shop and rumage around, dig out several old lawn chairs, a milk crate, and a 5 gallon bucket
14. Pass these around while directing friend closest to frosty beverage container to bring another round
15. Try to work into the conversation the trucks hood front clip
16. Dodge your friends lame attempt to bonk you in the forehead and head over to the frosty beverage container for another round
17. order a pizza
18. tell little woman that you guys are just messing around with the truck and you'll be done in a few minutes
19 laugh heartily at your buddy who just fell off the bucket and now has his foot stuck in it
20. Try and remember the name of the friend of a friend of a friend that might have traded 2 leaf blowers and a riding mower that only went in reverse for a pressure washer
21. Send bucket boy for another round while trying not to spew frosty beverages from your noses while laughing at him
23. open and close hood several times while fondly expounding on the beauty of the old girl
24. duck to your left as bucket boy makes a half hearted swing to your head (I don't know what he was thinking? trying to sneak up with a bucket stuck to his foot.....clomp, shhhwish, clomp, shhhhwsih, clomp, shhhwish.....even a deaf mute could see that one coming)
25. your buddy is right, a small fire is just the thing to take the chill of the night air....search yard for anything resembling firewood
26. another round
27. Harass your buddy with all sorts of "sewing circle" and "STP squat to pee" jokes as his wife shows up and drags him away
28 promie bucket boy that you will help him remove the bucket if he goes and gets the next round
29. fondly slap fender of truck while stating "issa dam fine wazzzii, fine wazzzzaa, wazzitcalled......truck, yea fine truck!" "juss look atta way at 'ood uh...wazza, wazzi.....at 'ood....uh look at it. I love this truck!!!"
"you guys are ssshhtoo......shhhhhttoo.....are wazza......ssshhhhtoopid! ers nuddin wrong wit dat hooood..........."
30. wonder why its raining in your bedroom, open eyes to realize that you are not in your bedroom but are laying in your front lawn and your wife is standing on the porch with the sprinkler wrench in her hand and a very, very dissapointed look on her face..............

Leave the hood be
Bobby

Old 03-06-2008, 09:45 PM
rbaker6336
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Been a long time but think you just unbolt hood from hinge

Old 03-06-2008, 10:02 PM
Fomoko1
Received 1,353 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Trust me, it definitely a two man job.....High up and very awkward!

Old 03-06-2008, 10:08 PM
rbaker6336
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Fomoko1
Trust me, it definitely a two man job.....High up and very awkward!
really do need two bodies,I done it alone in my younger days but was a trick even back then

Old 03-07-2008, 04:07 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
yep two bodies are a neccessity ! tried it once myself and never again , dented / scratched the new cab i had bought for my 55 just enough to tick me off ! d-mn bobby you and dick are always good for a chuckle !! i agree with the others also if it is not neccessary why do it ?? i got to pull the front clip off my 53 later this spring for some rust repair and i'm dreading it !

Old 03-07-2008, 07:20 PM
JimG1098
Fleet Mechanic
Thanks guys, and bobbytnm, great steps. I enjoyed the nariative

JimG

Old 03-07-2008, 08:03 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,132 Likes on 2,656 Posts
You said that everything fits and lines up, so I would buy some clecos if you don't already have some and drill 1/8th holes to establish a reference for when you put it back together. Good advice that I picked up here.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:50 PM
JimG1098
Fleet Mechanic
thanks for info. I most likely will not be taking it off, but where do I purchase clecos

Old 03-07-2008, 11:20 PM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

Originally Posted by JimG1098
thanks for info. I most likely will not be taking it off, but where do I purchase clecos
Eastwood sells them as "1/8" Blind Holders", p/n 19075 (30/pk), $21.99. You'll also need the "Compression Pliers", p/n 19074A, $12.99. (Page 19 in their latest catalog, under "Hands-Free Panel Holding").

Old 03-08-2008, 09:23 AM
OldgreenF1
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
autobodytoolmart sells clecos cheaper. Just search that name on google and the site comes up.

Old 03-08-2008, 09:49 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
If you really WANT to take it off, be sure to have 1 or 2 strong friends handy, the hood is heavy and awkward for one to handle. Look under hood where hinge attaches to hood there should be two shoulder bolts, possibly with a safety wire connecting them. Remove the wire(s). Position one person on each side of the hood, one hand on rear edge to keep from sliding back and one on the side as far forwards as possible. remove the two forward shoulder bolts being careful not to lose the thin wavy washer (that should be) under the head. Now hang onto the hood and remove the two rearmost bolts, watching for the washers again. Carry the hood away to a safe location. To remove the front clip, start by removing the fenders, there are about a dozen bolts attaching each one. Next comes the grill, then in order: the inner fenders, the top connector/radiator cover/latch plate, The air deflectors, the lower splash pan, and finally the radiator and radiator support.
It will really help if you spray all the bolts with a good quality penetrating oil such as liquid wrench or pb blaster (NOT WD-40!) each day for a few days before starting.

Old 03-08-2008, 09:58 AM
rbaker6336
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by 56panelford
You said that everything fits and lines up, so I would buy some clecos if you don't already have some and drill 1/8th holes to establish a reference for when you put it back together. Good advice that I picked up here.
gosh I wonder how we ever romoved and replaced hood before these gadgets were invented
actually was pretty simple

Old 03-08-2008, 10:45 AM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
I took mine off myself and installed myself.....my back is noe bad,though!!! Bill

Quick Reply: How does hood come off