1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Buildup!! 06 crown vic front suspension into 67 F100

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 09:48 PM
4x4jedi
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well how about that. Ooops!! I just read threw it a little to fast I think.

Old 05-11-2010, 11:29 PM
IsoGrifo
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well I was wanting to do this build on my 92 ranger, till I measured my track width today... 57" and the CV has a 63.4"... I don't think it'll fit...

unless I had a new xmember custom fabbed and even still there's steering arms to shorten and all sorts of work...

Last edited by IsoGrifo; 05-11-2010 at 11:43 PM. Reason: New idea
Old 05-12-2010, 05:30 PM
H_A_S_R
Junior User
Well, I made it to the junkyard today. There was no less than 7 CV's & GM's! All of them had the front suspension complete with the exception of the rack units. One car had the engine out already, so that will be the first one pulled. Wednesdays and Sundays are "half price days" so they will cost us less than $100 each. Plus, the owner said he would make us a deal since we are planning to pull 3 suspensions. 1 will be for my `58 stepside, 1 will be for my buddy's `59 Chevy (which also has a 34" frame width), and 1 for his `40 Packard (Which can be narrowed to 34" in the appropriate section). We will probably head there Sunday and pull all 3 since we now have a list of needed tools........

Old 05-12-2010, 05:50 PM
Shoestring
Senior User
Originally Posted by Bdavidsontexas
What crown vics have this particular cross member and is there a difference in wheel base width on a PI vs. a stnadard cv. Thanks in advance
Crown Victoria's, Grand Marquis and Lincoln Town Cars from 2003 to current have the same Panther suspension cross member set up. The only difference from the PI VS. standard is the spring rates. The PI's have a 500 lb spring and the standard is like 200 or 300. Something to look for is try to get more current than 2007 i think. The 2003 to 2007 has a variable speed pump on the rack for the power steering. This is not a real big deal except you will have to do some research on how to open the valve on the rack or close it down depending on how much power steering help you want. On the 2003 to 2007 there is a module in the car behind the glove box that is the speed indicator or sensor that talks to the pump on the rack telling the pump how much steering assist to give and not give depending on speed.

The reason I bring up the whole variable speed business is I put a 2005 GM front end on mine and the variable pump is there. You can leave the pump's wires not connected to anything and the system will work fine but you will have to set the amount of assist manually and leave it. I was able to get a 2008 rack though and I will not have to deal with this problem.

Hope this helps.

SS

Old 05-12-2010, 05:53 PM
Shoestring
Senior User
Originally Posted by Romak
sorry i havnt addid any pics of my build, ive got a cap on my internet cause i gota run off a card, but heres an update lemme know what yall think its a lil dark my camra sucks

Got the whole front end done boxed everything forward of the cab, bedliner on the frame and semigloss on the firewall, motor and trans are in, gota finish up the tranny crossmember so i can get the pinion angle right to drop in the 8.8 this weekend, then the long job of wiring and running brake lines....
Looks very familiar!! I have mine also at the same point for now but my body work is no where near complete. Just curious are you running this motor off of the computer? What kind of brake booster are you going to use? How bout your fuel system what are you going to do there? These are issues I am currently working on and am wondering what you have figured out.

SS

Old 05-13-2010, 05:49 AM
H_A_S_R
Junior User
I see alot of guys with the 4.6 are running a hydroboost instead of a vaccuum booster. Is there a functional reason for this, or is it purely because of size difference? What are you robbing the hydroboost from??

Old 05-13-2010, 05:19 PM
Shoestring
Senior User
Originally Posted by H_A_S_R
I see alot of guys with the 4.6 are running a hydroboost instead of a vaccuum booster. Is there a functional reason for this, or is it purely because of size difference? What are you robbing the hydroboost from??
I plan on using the brake system from the donor car, only the booster and link that up to a variable adjust valve since the back end of the truck is so light and I plan on keeping the back as drum set up.

SS

Old 05-17-2010, 10:50 AM
tempforce
Senior User
hydroboost doesn't require a vacuum pump. just a tie into the power steering system.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:11 PM
H_A_S_R
Junior User
I understand how the hydroboost works, just didn't know if there was a functional advantage over a vaccuum booster in this application.

Old 05-24-2010, 05:13 PM
tempforce
Senior User
the only advantage is, you don't have to mount a vacuum pump...

Old 05-24-2010, 06:24 PM
Sethpruitt01
Junior User
Does anybody know where i there is a cv type front end in the redding ca area? i cant find one within four hundred miles of my house and any help would be very much appreciated. thanks.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:34 AM
Romak
Senior User
im not to sure what my vacume booster is from i think its an 80s dodge, but i was lucky enuf that the master cyclender from a 93 CV fit right on it, i had already had that booster on with my old setup and im running the 93 MC instead of the 03+ cause ive decited to not use the ABS and the proportioning valve is threaded into it and its easier to plum with the linelock
as for fuel im running a BBK inline fuel pump from summit and am about to start plumming the metal lines, there is a high pressure fitting that requires a certain expensive tool but my parts guy is gona hook me up to borrow that.
i still havnt started on the wiring yet but yes im planning on running everything from the 03 CV computer and all, i tossed around the idea of using a megasquirt setup but then id have to get a tranny controller too so im just gona strip up the harness take out what i dont need and run the stock ECU with a dyno tune to remove all the EGR and O2s and stuff

Old 05-25-2010, 08:00 AM
Rusty 63
Senior User
I think I read that the cv system uses a variable pressure pump instead of the typical high pressure/regulator/return loop. Will yourf setup work w/ stock cv ecu?

Old 05-25-2010, 01:43 PM
Romak
Senior User
hopefully everything will work fine with the P/S rack i do plan on mounting that module inside behind the dash so technicaly everything should work at is would on the crown vic.
Ill be working on the wiiring i think for the next few weeks, stripping out all the airbag and impact sensor wires, power window and lock wires, ABS stuff, alot of the emissions stuff cause it will all get deleted in the ECU, Ill probably integrate in a painless kit i have for all the lights, guages, wipers and such, jump the inertia switch wires, splice a new plug into the start switch, fuel pump and fan , im sure theres more im forgeting but itll all get there eventually, and i gota figure out were im going to mount the fuse panel.

Old 05-25-2010, 09:50 PM
Shoestring
Senior User
Originally Posted by Romak
im not to sure what my vacume booster is from i think its an 80s dodge, but i was lucky enuf that the master cyclender from a 93 CV fit right on it, i had already had that booster on with my old setup and im running the 93 MC instead of the 03+ cause ive decited to not use the ABS and the proportioning valve is threaded into it and its easier to plum with the linelock
as for fuel im running a BBK inline fuel pump from summit and am about to start plumming the metal lines, there is a high pressure fitting that requires a certain expensive tool but my parts guy is gona hook me up to borrow that.
i still havnt started on the wiring yet but yes im planning on running everything from the 03 CV computer and all, i tossed around the idea of using a megasquirt setup but then id have to get a tranny controller too so im just gona strip up the harness take out what i dont need and run the stock ECU with a dyno tune to remove all the EGR and O2s and stuff
As far as I have learned with these cars if you are going to use the PCM from the donar car you will have to also use the fuel system with the fuel pressure regulation system, fuel pump control module and many other parts. Also if you have a civilian PCM you will have to figure out how to bypass the passive anti theft system. Not to mention something else is the system that is attached to the gas pedal in those cars, that is what controls the throttle, these cars do not have drive by wire, it is all electronic signals to the PCM.

SS

Quick Reply: Buildup!! 06 crown vic front suspension into 67 F100