Sponsored by:

F250 Springs on Excursion?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 05:40 PM
jeepthing
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F250 Springs on Excursion?

Today a picked up some f250 springs to hopefully cure some wander on my X.... f250 was '03 4x4 PSD, my X is '01 4x4 V10. How much lift would i likely get? Do I need to swap rears also to improve ride quality? Just curious if my tires are gonna look too small after i install 250 springs.

Old 03-05-2008, 08:28 AM
NASCAR Mike
Freshman User
Springs will not cure wander.

Do you have a rear sway bar? What is the condition of your shocks?

Old 03-05-2008, 09:48 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by jeepthing
How much lift would i likely get?
Generally speaking, about an inch and a half.

Do I need to swap rears also to improve ride quality?
I've only done all four springs, so I'm not sure how effective if would be to only do the fronts. If I had to guess, I'd say more times than not, you'll have to also swap the rears to completely get rid of the steering wander.

Just curious if my tires are gonna look too small after i install 250 springs.
Eh, it's a matter of opinion. I think it would look nicer with bigger tires, but it doesn't too bad.

Stewart

Old 03-05-2008, 09:50 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by NASCAR Mike
Springs will not cure wander.
That's gonna be news to all of us who have cured the wander by swapping out the springs on our Excursions.

Please share with us the information and data you have on the springs that back up your assertion.

Stewart

Old 03-05-2008, 10:30 AM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
That's gonna be news to all of us who have cured the wander by swapping out the springs on our Excursions.
I'm with Stewart...While there are many 'possible' contributors to 'wander' and everyone's definition of 'wander' can be different...those of us that TOW with our Ex's have created a very good handling Tow Vehicle by shoring up the WEAK springs that Ford chose to install and should be required modification for those that want a stable platform...that statement is both my OPINION and FACT based on first hand experience with MY Ex modification and rolling down the road at 17,000# combined thru some pretty varied terrain and weather...

joe.

Old 03-05-2008, 10:31 AM
Stouttrout
Junior User
If you are replacing springs that are in new condition than that is not your wander problem. However, most of our trucks have worn out springs. I need new springs all the way around but I decided to go with the RAS system, a Helwig sway bar, and new shocks for the quick fix. Later I will go with new springs.

Old 03-05-2008, 10:41 AM
ocboat
Senior User
Originally Posted by Stouttrout
If you are replacing springs that are in new condition than that is not your wander problem. However, most of our trucks have worn out springs. I need new springs all the way around but I decided to go with the RAS system, a Helwig sway bar, and new shocks for the quick fix. Later I will go with new springs.
That's exactly what I'm doing starting with the RAS tomorrow? Did you see a big improvement after adding these? Did you do them all at once or one at a time and what made the biggest difference in helping the wander problem? Thanks.

Old 03-05-2008, 10:52 AM
Stouttrout
Junior User
I had just bought mine and the PO said it drove like crazy but he was selling it like it was no warranty and he did not want to look into it. It had 85k on it and all original everything. It had two blow shocks on the front. This allowed the truck to shimy. The wheels would bounce like mad. In the Jeep world we call it death wobble. So the shocks got done first. That made a big improvement but now the wander was easier to feel. I did the sway next and that helped alot but the RAS fixed it all. All were done within 3 days of each other.

Old 03-05-2008, 10:54 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
If you are replacing springs that are in new condition than that is not your wander problem.
Please, explain your reasoning, backing it up with facts and data.

Making claims like this is plain foolish, in my opinion, when faced with all the facts regarding the OEM springs on the Excursions.

Stewart

Old 03-05-2008, 11:07 AM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Deleted...

Old 03-05-2008, 11:15 AM
Stouttrout
Junior User
Plain and simple. If your springs are in new condittion and you have a wander problem, than the wander is not coming from your springs. I drove a new Excursion, it had no wander. However, more than just worn springs can cause a wandering problem. Poor alignment, tires, blown shocks, caster, track bar bushings.....on and on....

Using Wander as broad term to describe what a vehicle is doing does not allow enough info to correctly address his situation. He does not state mileage condition, sag, ect... about his springs. I would imagine that "All of us" that have corrected Wander on your ecxursions have replaced springs that needed to be replaced. Springs that had mileage, got soft and a bit saggy. Even if you replaced those with new Excursion springs your going to see a difference.

And foolish is telling everyone that All your problems are in your springs. That is not always the case. He does not give any info exect that he has wander. Poor tire quality and alignment can cause a wander effect. So, before you jump on me about a statement that basically confirms yours above, think it over.

Old 03-05-2008, 11:51 AM
njstevens
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
stout is %100 correct in the statement made about wandering. People seem to overlook sthings such as tires. What kind of tires, what is the rating on the tire. Also people also forget that sometimes it could be what is being trailored. Bad tires on TT or bad shifted weight inside of TT. Wind resitance can cause wander. It will be different between many people. The suggestions discussed here to fix wander are all good ones but not everyone will solve their issue with just one fix as others may. Another thing swapping F250 springs will not give an X an extra 1 1/2 inches of lift. Now F350 will give you that and maybe up to 2 inches.

Old 03-05-2008, 11:54 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Plain and simple. If your springs are in new condittion and you have a wander problem, than the wander is not coming from your springs.
Once again, how are you coming to this conclusion?

Once again, there is no logic to the above statement, and I again say, you're foolish to make the above claim in the face of all the data that has been collected by other members (available if you do a search here and at The Diesel Stop: Excursion forum), which proves otherwise.

I drove a new Excursion, it had no wander.
If that's the sole basis for your argument, please leave the thread and stop posting bad info.

However, more than just worn springs can cause a wandering problem. Poor alignment, tires, blown shocks, caster, track bar bushings.....on and on....
Absolutely correct. However, that isn't the topic of this thread, nor is it the point of contention between us.

I refer you to the OP's quote:

Originally Posted by jeepthing
Today a picked up some f250 springs to hopefully cure some wander on my X....
Using Wander as broad term to describe what a vehicle is doing does not allow enough info to correctly address his situation. He does not state mileage condition, sag, ect... about his springs. I would imagine that "All of us" that have corrected Wander on your ecxursions have replaced springs that needed to be replaced. Springs that had mileage, got soft and a bit saggy.
Again, correct. However, that wasn't being asked, nor was it being discussed. That's not to say it CAN'T be discussed in this thread, and in fact, it would be prudent to bring it to the OP's attention (something Joe, aka X_Hemi_Guy usually does), but again I say, that isn't the point of contention between us. Your claim that new, OEM Excursion springs cannot be the cause of steering wander is the point.

Even if you replaced those with new Excursion springs your going to see a difference.
If a person were to replace old, worn out Excursion springs with set of new OEM Excursion springs, of course there would be a difference.

But that's not to say the steering wander wouldn't still be present. A problem that would more than likely had been cured if the Excursion springs, old or relatively new, were replaced with some F250 springs.

And foolish is telling everyone that All your problems are in your springs.
I never stated that, nor have I told ANYONE that all the problems are in the springs.

He does not give any info exect that he has wander. Poor tire quality and alignment can cause a wander effect.
Are you in the same thread as I am? You must be because you're posting here.

The OP doesn't bring any of that up because he wanted to SPECIFICALLY know about the springs he was putting on his Excursion. He NEVER asked about wander issues, generally. He asked about the springs he was specifically putting on his truck.

So, before you jump on me about a statement that basically confirms yours above, think it over.
I didn't jump on you. I asked you to back your claim up, and then I stated my opinion, in a very respectful manner.

Stewart

Old 03-05-2008, 12:08 PM
jeepthing
Freshman User
Wow..... Thanks for all the replys. Seems to have gotten a little heated in here but i appreciate the info. Friday I will swap all 4 springs over, as well as the rear sway bar off the 250. Hopefully this will help, as i have already done Ball joints, shocks, alignment, and tierods in the last month. I will deal with larger tires at a later date. Thanks

Old 03-05-2008, 12:14 PM
Stouttrout
Junior User
Stewart, I am not going to to get into a semantical arguement with you on the net. He said he hoped to fix a wandering problem, someone said it would not, you said basically, prove it. All I said was, your both right. There is nothing wrong with someone giving advice to another and telling him, get ready, that may not be your wander problem. Have you looked into other things? have you checked out more obvious things. Now, as for Data that you seem to like so much, you have a seach button as well, I will direct you to your suggestion and say, use it. My experience is just that. You will not hear me say anything about an engine issue becuse I know very little there. However, I have been designing suspension systems and building my own for a long time. As Hemi states, I have tweaked mine alot. I probably have more heavy tow miles one small and meduim trucks thanmost on here. Now, you tell me the harm in pointing out to someone that while thier springs may be the culprit, check for other things.

And furthermore, If you are trying to intimidate another person from posting, well, this forum will end up like most of the others out there. Only a select few will post and the rest will just lurk.

Quick Reply: F250 Springs on Excursion?