Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Western Region > Oregon Chapter
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Oregon Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: Fabmandelux

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-04-2008, 03:49 PM
Post Fiend

cartmanea is a name known to allcartmanea is a name known to allcartmanea is a name known to allcartmanea is a name known to allcartmanea is a name known to allcartmanea is a name known to all
Any code readers in Oregon?

I have an ABS light on and AutoZone's generic scanner doesn't find the codes. Does anyone have or know of a place I can get the Ford specific codes read for free? I'm really not wanting to take it to the dealership...

Thanks!
Old 03-04-2008, 06:27 PM
Post Fiend

bertha66 is a splendid one to beholdbertha66 is a splendid one to beholdbertha66 is a splendid one to beholdbertha66 is a splendid one to beholdbertha66 is a splendid one to beholdbertha66 is a splendid one to beholdbertha66 is a splendid one to beholdbertha66 is a splendid one to behold
I took mine to a Tire Factory, they are all over Oregon, they had a code reader for ABS and engine codes. I'm in Prineville.
1980 Bronco with 460 Gone but not to far!!
1976 F250 4X4 Custom with 429
Oregon Chapter Member: To join the Oregon Chapter, click HERE
Old 03-04-2008, 08:14 PM
Post Fiend

cartmanea is a name known to allcartmanea is a name known to allcartmanea is a name known to allcartmanea is a name known to allcartmanea is a name known to allcartmanea is a name known to all
Thanks, I'll give them a call. Did they charge you to scan it?
Old 03-05-2008, 05:37 PM
Post Fiend

bertha66 is a splendid one to beholdbertha66 is a splendid one to beholdbertha66 is a splendid one to beholdbertha66 is a splendid one to beholdbertha66 is a splendid one to beholdbertha66 is a splendid one to beholdbertha66 is a splendid one to beholdbertha66 is a splendid one to behold
No, it was done for free here.
1980 Bronco with 460 Gone but not to far!!
1976 F250 4X4 Custom with 429
Oregon Chapter Member: To join the Oregon Chapter, click HERE
Old 03-05-2008, 05:47 PM
Post Fiend

I called the one here and they said they would charge $20-25 for reading it if I do the repairs myself. If they do repairs the reading is free.
Old 03-06-2008, 12:09 AM
Posting Guru

Ponyracer has a good reputation on FTE.Ponyracer has a good reputation on FTE.Ponyracer has a good reputation on FTE.
check with Knechts they dont charge anything in Junction City so they shouldnt charge anything anywhere else. What are the symptoms besides the light being on?
Old 03-06-2008, 12:48 AM
Post Fiend

ABS light is on and the ABS system doesn't work. I've locked up the rears to check it. Also, I think also caused by the ABS not working, cruise control doesn't work. I tried Autozone already, their generic code reader wouldn't read ABS codes, I'm guessing Knechts would be the same but I'll check.
Old 03-06-2008, 01:47 AM
Posting Guru

Ponyracer has a good reputation on FTE.Ponyracer has a good reputation on FTE.Ponyracer has a good reputation on FTE.
it sounds like the ABS sensor that is in the rear differential housing. remove it and see if it has some metal fragments on it. You can try to clean it, remove the battery negative cables for ten minutes to clear codes and test drive. if this doesnt work replace the sensor. it is the most common trouble unless something is still unplugged or came unplugged because of the accident. in that case check all conections at the front of the vehicle around the ABS assembly which is probably near the left front or right front frame rail. email me with what you find. I used to be a factory Ford Master technician. if you dont find anything play the starving student thing and call the local dealership and see if you can talk them into having the shop foreman pull the codes for free.
Old 03-06-2008, 02:40 AM
Post Fiend

Thanks for the advice. I'm really thinking it might be the front right sensor since that wheel took a pretty hard hit. (Sheared the center pin off the leaf springs, uncurled the military wrap, and bent the spring hanger.) I'm going to try to get a friend who works at a dealership to read it while on spring break in two weeks, if that doesn't pan out I'll play the poor college student
Old 03-06-2008, 02:40 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Western Region > Oregon Chapter