1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Now the tranny...

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 11:03 AM
MTNWOODY
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Now the tranny...

My truck is having a bad stretch over the past 3 weeks. First the PCM/Edge issue (solved PCM, not Edge), then the axle pivot brackets tried to kill me (welded), I replaced the GPR yesterday due to hard/no start when cold (not the issue as it would not start without a jump this a.m., I'm thinking UVC Harness/GP issue), and then this morning after a jump to start and 10 minute warm-up, I head down the road and it shifts from first to second and the O/D light starts flashing. I pulled the codes and I get a P1783, transmission overtemperature condition. The tranny temp gauge hasn't even moved yet. I have noticed no shift issues, no leaks, nothing. The transmission is about 6 months old from Ford. It's under warranty and the shop that did the install will look at it tommorrow. Is there anything that would throw this code when the truck/tranny are cold?
- Ish

Old 03-04-2008, 11:48 AM
kawa
Postmaster
Woody, I think that our trucks are related, if its not one problem it's another.

At the rate I'm going I will have a rebuilt 1997 PSD. It seems like I'm getting more wrench time then drive time.

I don't know which is cheaper, buying parts or diesel fuel.

Rog

Old 03-04-2008, 12:34 PM
Action4478
Hotshot
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
....Parts ....

Old 03-04-2008, 04:44 PM
WALJON
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by MTNWOODY
My truck is having a bad stretch over the past 3 weeks. First the PCM/Edge issue (solved PCM, not Edge), then the axle pivot brackets tried to kill me (welded), I replaced the GPR yesterday due to hard/no start when cold (not the issue as it would not start without a jump this a.m., I'm thinking UVC Harness/GP issue), and then this morning after a jump to start and 10 minute warm-up, I head down the road and it shifts from first to second and the O/D light starts flashing. I pulled the codes and I get a P1783, transmission overtemperature condition. The tranny temp gauge hasn't even moved yet. I have noticed no shift issues, no leaks, nothing. The transmission is about 6 months old from Ford. It's under warranty and the shop that did the install will look at it tommorrow. Is there anything that would throw this code when the truck/tranny are cold?
- Ish
I think mine is related too yours as well maybe a distant cousin from CANADA lol I have been going through the same thing problem after problem but what can you expect from a 11 or 12 year old truck all vehicles seem to go through the same thing at this age

hope you get your problem figured out

Old 03-04-2008, 10:34 PM
MTNWOODY
Senior User
I had a conversation with the local auto repair shop owner tonight. He's done some work on my truck and he seems to think it might be as easy as cleaning the speed sensor in the rear end. I replace it two years ago. I'll clean it in the morning. My tranny is fairly new and never abused and the OD light starts flashing when I put on the brakes, after starting it cold, W/O even putting it in gear? The wire harness cover coming out of the tranny has a hole worn thru it right at the heat shield next to the down pipe. Part number on that harness, anyone?
- Ish

Old 03-05-2008, 12:01 AM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Ish, typically the speed sensor in the rear end will give an erratic speedo and hard shifts when it goes, I don't think that's your problem myself. I'd check that wiring over real close before I threw any money at it, a short piece of electrical tape might be all it takes to get you up and running again (though I would do a more permanent fix at some point). I don't think you'd need to buy the whole harness, you could solder and heat shrink the damaged wires and be as good as new I would think.

Old 03-05-2008, 07:29 AM
MADVAN
Postmaster
I had a conversation with the local auto repair shop owner tonight. He's done some work on my truck and he seems to think it might be as easy as cleaning the speed sensor in the rear end. I replace it two years ago. I'll clean it in the morning. My tranny is fairly new and never abused and the OD light starts flashing when I put on the brakes, after starting it cold, W/O even putting it in gear? The wire harness cover coming out of the tranny has a hole worn thru it right at the heat shield next to the down pipe. Part number on that harness, anyone?
- Ish
"The wire harness cover coming out of the tranny has a hole worn thru it right at the heat shield next to the down pipe."

Possible short to ground?
Did you have this issue before the PCM issue (downloader)?

Its has nothing to do with the VSS sensor.
Have you cleared the code and it comes back?
The odds are in your favor of a wire/sensor issue for the 1783 only after 10 minutes of run time.

Connectors.
http://www.motorcraft.com/products.do?item=23
OR
http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/me...-4R100solenoid

Bill

Old 03-05-2008, 11:19 AM
MTNWOODY
Senior User
Thanks Chase and Bill, I did clean the VSS this morning before I got online. It was covered in metal. However, a more superceding problem occurred. My truck won't start! It has been cranking hard when cold and I replaced the GPR 2 days ago (before the tranny code issue). This had no affect. Harder to start each time over the past few days, cold or not. After cleaning the sensor the truck cranked and almost fired but then slowed to the point I new it wasn't going to happen. I put my charger on the 50 amp jump setting and then got only a single "CLICK". I tried my wife's car with the jumper cables...single "CLICK". I went to town and picked up two new batteries (warranteed by a friend)...single "CLICK". At this point the tranny code is moot if I can't get running. I am thinking starter/solenoid? How do I test it? It's been 25 years since I wrenched this much. Fun when successful...frustrating when not.
- Ish

Old 03-05-2008, 11:44 AM
MADVAN
Postmaster
I would check the starter.
You have been over working it with the cold start issue.
It could have given up. I would beat up on it

Bill

Old 03-05-2008, 11:45 AM
Action4478
Hotshot
Originally Posted by MADVAN
I would check the starter.
You have been over working it with the cold start issue.
It could have given up. I would beat up on it

Bill
Read my sig....

Old 03-05-2008, 11:55 AM
MADVAN
Postmaster
That's it the Action Mod!!!
"Most stuff's just stuck & needs hittin with a hammer"....

Bill

Old 03-05-2008, 12:25 PM
Action4478
Hotshot
Originally Posted by MADVAN
That's it the Action Mod!!!
"Most stuff's just stuck & needs hittin with a hammer"....

Bill
...... ......

Old 03-05-2008, 01:15 PM
MTNWOODY
Senior User
You guys are great and read my mind. I got out the old 26oz finish hammer and whacked it really good (the framing hammer leaves marks). It's awfully wet...oil from?? Anyway no luck. I even tried the old jump the solenoid trick. One thing I did notice is that my GPR is real hot...I branded my middle finger, yeow. The tow truck's on it's way (GEICO has paid for 3 tows in 3 weeks). Sometimes it's good to live in a small town where the local mechanic is a friend and owns a 7.3 PSD himself (Super Duty). It's costing me money not working (the truck and me). I let you all know how it works out.
- Ish

Old 03-05-2008, 01:33 PM
Action4478
Hotshot
You guys are great and read my mind. I got out the old 26oz finish hammer and whacked it really good (the framing hammer leaves marks). It's awfully wet...oil from?? Anyway no luck. I even tried the old jump the solenoid trick. One thing I did notice is that my GPR is real hot...I branded my middle finger, yeow. The tow truck's on it's way (GEICO has paid for 3 tows in 3 weeks). Sometimes it's good to live in a small town where the local mechanic is a friend and owns a 7.3 PSD himself (Super Duty). It's costing me money not working (the truck and me). I let you all know how it works out.
- Ish
You need to have someone hold the key in the start position during whacking.....

Old 03-05-2008, 02:29 PM
MTNWOODY
Senior User
Originally Posted by Action4478
You need to have someone hold the key in the start position during whacking.....
That sounds pretty funny...no one around today and I gotta work! I hate giving up but I am self-employed, not working costs money.

Thanks again guys.
- Ish

Quick Reply: Now the tranny...