Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Ranger & B-Series
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series modelsSPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-03-2008, 08:55 PM
Posting Guru

66fdtrucknut has a great reputation on FTE.66fdtrucknut has a great reputation on FTE.66fdtrucknut has a great reputation on FTE.66fdtrucknut has a great reputation on FTE.
Steering prob. after upper con. arm replmnt.

I have a 99' Mazda B2500, replaced upper control arm/ball joint, very easy job. After dropping the truck down and backing out of the garage I noticed a shuddering in the steering when I turn the wheel either sitting still or moving. Is it because of the ball joint being new and tight? Could the front end be that out of alignment? Any input apprec.
Charlie
Old 03-03-2008, 09:39 PM
Freshman User

quiktrp is starting off with a positive reputation.
You probably turned the wheel with the engine off. With this style PS pump, that can introduce air into the system causing the shudder you feel. Try topping off the fluid and driving for a bit. It might improve on it's own. Otherwise you;ll have to vacuum bleed the steering system. I think OTC sells a vacuum adapter. You'll use it with a hand pump. If it comes to that, post back and I can give directions on how to do it.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:06 PM
Posting Guru

66fdtrucknut has a great reputation on FTE.66fdtrucknut has a great reputation on FTE.66fdtrucknut has a great reputation on FTE.66fdtrucknut has a great reputation on FTE.
You're right I did, I turned the wheel when I torqued the arm bolts, thats why these forums are great. Thanks.
Charlie
Old 09-21-2012, 03:39 PM
Freshman User

Nite Ranger is starting off with a positive reputation.
Add me to the list of those with this steering shudder problem after front end work was done.
99 Ranger 4 cyl.
I just did a brake job on it. With the engine off I turned the wheel right and left to replace the rotors and calipers. When done I backed it out of the garage and immediately upon turning left I got that dreaded shudder. Only to the left however. I drove it a few miles and it didn't get any better. Now upon researching this I see numerous suggestions on how to get rid of the air. Since it has never had the ps fluid replaced I'll probably do the flush and see.

'99 Ranger XLT, reg cab, 2wd, 2.5, AOD, 4.10, 140,000 miles
I'll be here all week
Old 09-22-2012, 07:11 PM
Freshman User

Nite Ranger is starting off with a positive reputation.
Well after a couple of days of city driving the shudder is almost gone. I didn't have to do anything to it. But.....
I traded that dude off today.

'99 Ranger XLT, reg cab, 2wd, 2.5, AOD, 4.10, 140,000 miles
I'll be here all week
Old 09-22-2012, 07:11 PM