2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rubberized box above radio, what is it??

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 10:20 AM
Big-Red-Lariat
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Rubberized box above radio, what is it??

Hey guys,
about that rubber indentation in the dash surface above the radio, about the size of a sandwich, 2 questions:
1) what is it for officially?
2) what is the proper technique to remove it?

I wanted to mount some electronics on it, or in the hole and was hoping to maybe drill a hole in it and get a nut and bolt secured so the unit wont go flying in a fast stop or collision.
Unit being mounted is a 6x4x2 inch heavy duty voltage inverter with fan. Is there a better location? Need 125volts to power laptop, cell phone etc and the little ones that go in cigarette lighter overheat on long trips.
Thanks!

Old 03-02-2008, 10:41 AM
Golflug
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On my 2005 screw I had mine out when I installed an antenna adapter for the sirius. after removing the trim panen from around the radio you will see how to remove it. I can't remember if I had to remove the radio to get it out or not. The trim panel pops out with spring loaded clips. Just be carful not to damage the trim panel. Then I believe there are two screws holding the try assembly in. I don't beleive there is anything under the try except for the radio unit.

Old 03-02-2008, 11:07 AM
kd4crs
Senior User
It is the dash tray for storage of misc. small items like cell phone, sun glasses, etc. It is held in place by a couple of hex bolts behind the center stach trim panel. The center trim panels just pulls off. There is quite a bit of space behnd the radio but I don't know how much room there is between the radio top and the tray bottom.

Old 03-02-2008, 02:04 PM
felixr
Elder User
the guys above me have already explained how to remove this so i'll just add . . . wow, you eat BIG sandwhiches lol

the haynes manual (advance auto parts -18.99) shows you pictures on how to do it.
its as simple as the guys make it sound.

Old 03-02-2008, 02:48 PM
F0rdzTuff
Elder User
Where would you put the iPod jack if you removed it?

Old 03-02-2008, 05:07 PM
silver lariat
Senior User
I've got a business band radio mounted there on my 06 Lariat. I can take pcs and post if you'd like. Sound like it's about the same size your talking about. My radio is held in place with a small Velcro mount the radio shop built so it can be taken out. Let me know if you'd like to see some pics...

Old 03-02-2008, 06:03 PM
FTE Trigger
Postmaster
I have a Center Channel on top (in the dish) and the amp for it... under the dish...

Its also holding my "bracketry" for my Radar Detector/GPS Recv'r and room for a new toy for the future...

Old 03-02-2008, 06:19 PM
Big-Red-Lariat
Laughing Gas
would love to see pics....Ford should provide 125v power outlet as standard equip with all the electronic toys around nowadays but in the interim we need to mount our accessory junk!

Old 03-02-2008, 06:46 PM
silver lariat
Senior User
OK: I'll get out tomorrow and get some pics of my set up. I have to say i agree. I was real disappointed with the lack of 12v power outlets in this truck

Old 03-02-2008, 06:51 PM
F0rdzTuff
Elder User
Originally Posted by Big-Red-Lariat
would love to see pics....Ford should provide 125v power outlet as standard equip with all the electronic toys around nowadays but in the interim we need to mount our accessory junk!
The 2008 Lariats have 3 counting the lighter.

Old 03-02-2008, 07:20 PM
silver lariat
Senior User
So does the 06 - but Ford says not to use the lighter as a power source. My 03 expedition had 3 plus the lighter.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:38 AM
Twinsdad98
Elder User
Silver Lariat- I'd like to see your pics as well. let us know when you have them uploaded. Thanks..

Old 03-03-2008, 11:41 AM
silver lariat
Senior User
OK guys, the pics are up in my gallery. Really a very simple install. In my previous 03 Expedition this same radio was mounted vertically on the passenger side of the center flow-thru console but there's not room for this in the truck. The old days of bolting accessories to the underside of the dash are gone (as are the old metal dash units you actually could bolt to).

This installation puts the radio where it's easy to reach, controls are easily seen and manipulated and the installation can be easily removed leaving almost no impact on the original condition of the vehicle. It's also minimally invasive style wise. If you're really persnickity and wanted to return the truck entirely to stock you could even buy a new tray to replace the one with the hole drilled in it.

Hope these help. Glad to answer any questions.

Old 03-03-2008, 07:50 PM
Big-Red-Lariat
Laughing Gas
what we really need is 125v ac outlets in the dash with the inverter circuitry built in, instead of having to do surgery to mount the inverter unit...maybe in 2020 this will be standard equipt?
Thanks for the help...I am leaning towards putting velcro on the inverter and just placing it in the dash holder above the radio like a big sandwich!
http://cobra.com/index.cfm?fuseactio...&category_ID=6

Old 06-20-2008, 01:35 PM
pcconcept
New User
I mounted a 400 watt inverter under the radio inside the dash. I bought a 1' extention cord at Staples plugged it into the inverter and mounted the end in the cigarette lighter hole.

I will probably make a cover for that hole so I can mount 2 plugs. One on either side of the cigarette lighter.

Quick Reply: Rubberized box above radio, what is it??