Oklahoma Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

some questions about Oklahoma life

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 01:26 PM
agtheokie
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Traxxis
Tolls from Muskogee to Tulsa are $1.50, Muskogee to I-40 $1.50.

STan
Theres a detour that will take you around the toll booth that takes you to tulsa from wagoner.
Add about 10 mins to yoru trip and you end up on the BA which is what your were trying to get on at the toll booth.

Old 03-06-2008, 03:52 PM
MikeB 88
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by agtheokie
muskogee isnt the heart of the cherokee nation. Its creek i believe actually. tahlequah is the heart of the cherokee nation. After all the cherokee nation headquarters is in tahlequah. The cherokee indian school (sequoyah).
I stand corrected. It is Tahlequah I was thinking of. Should have remembered that, because my sister bought a dog there and named him Tally!!

Old 03-07-2008, 02:29 PM
spidertoy
Senior User
what about smaller airports? or just aviation business in general? I am an aircraft mechanic and was curious to see what the job market might hold for me

Old 03-07-2008, 02:44 PM
MikeB 88
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by spidertoy
what about smaller airports? or just aviation business in general? I am an aircraft mechanic and was curious to see what the job market might hold for me
I am an aircraft mechanic as well. However, since I work for the airlines, I'm really out of touch with the general aviation side. What type of aircraft do you work on? Around Tulsa, we have the International and just to the south of us is Riverside (RVS). It is a big reliever for Tulsa and supports a lot of business aircraft. Plus Spartan's flying school is located there. My 17 year old son got his pilot license last summer and is currently enrolled in the community collage AMT program. Riverside does have several repair stations, so it might be worthwhile to check it out.

Old 03-07-2008, 04:15 PM
spidertoy
Senior User
well right now I am finishing a window set on a cessna 185 before it goes into the paint shop, which I work at, and basically if its smaller than an otter, we repaint it. and I am the DOM for my company

Old 03-08-2008, 12:40 AM
spidertoy
Senior User
so which airline do you work for? I e-mailed an FBO at davis airfield near Muskogee (how do you pronounce that name?), and might email a couple of other FBO's, repair stations, and the like

Old 03-08-2008, 01:02 PM
MikeB 88
Fleet Mechanic
I work for American at there overhaul base. It's been a long time since I've been to Davis Field, I really don't remember much about it, or what's there.

As far as the pronunciation, here you go. Straight from the dictionary.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/Muskogee

Here is info from Wikipedia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muskogee_County,_Oklahoma

Old 03-10-2008, 06:48 PM
agtheokie
New User
must-kogee Best i cna show ya.

tahlequah has an airport, but all i see is private small aircraft and they just extended the runway to accomodate lear jets.

Old 03-11-2008, 01:23 AM
spidertoy
Senior User
well, private, small aircraft is my area of expertise, primarily airframe, but I would like to excercise the knowledge that I gained while in school, but havent had to use (powerplant) because I work in a paint shop, I dont usually have to do anything to the engines, but like I said I would like to do something a littel different, and provide my family with the lifestyle that we both love

now I have done some research on Muskogee, and have discovered that its comparable to some cities up here (population wise) how about crime wise? I have already discovered that OK in general has about half as much crime as we do here, but is there a site specifically for finding that kind of information out? also how would we find out what the laws are governing subdividing of acreage? my friend was thinking about sectioning a chunk of the land that he will buy, so that we can put a home on that and he would carry a contract, anybody know the rules on something like that?

Old 03-11-2008, 07:05 PM
MikeB 88
Fleet Mechanic
Might be time to move out of Oklahoma. Then move back to a small town and avoid state income tax!!http://www.newson6.com/global/story.asp?s=8000428

Old 03-12-2008, 12:42 AM
spidertoy
Senior User
interesting reading there, which counties would be affected? and do you guys have a SALES tax? if so what is the percentage? and how bad is the income tax? here we do not have an income tax, but we do have sales, gas, emissions, registration, and more that I cant remember right now, oh and property taxes here are going through the roof, our new tax on 6 acres is nearly 3000 this year, who knows what it'll be next year

Old 03-12-2008, 07:57 AM
MikeB 88
Fleet Mechanic
If I read this map right, all the red countires or the highlighted city names would qualify. http://kotv.images.worldnow.com/imag...0Abatement.pdfWent shopping at the local Walmart the other night. Our sales tax here in Owasso (just north of tulsa) is 8.517%. However it varies from city to city. Just depends if they decide to raise taxes for one reason or another.

Old 03-12-2008, 02:49 PM
QH rancher
Senior User
I dont know if anyone has said this, if you grow alfalfa in oklahoma it should careful were you grow it we have blister bugs that like alfalfa they will kill a horse but are ok for cows. most is grown in western oklahoma.

Old 03-12-2008, 11:43 PM
spidertoy
Senior User
well again thanks for the information, according to the research on blister beetles that I did tonight, as long as you control your grasshoppers, and spray yearly with pesticides, it should be okay, but it gives my friend some more to look into, as well as more questions to ask when we come down to check it out,

Old 03-23-2008, 06:21 PM
johnno5
Junior User
oklahoma. well it is a diverse state so do your homework before buying land here to grow alfalfa. don't get me wrong about alfalfa because it grows fine here with about 3 cutting a year max. northwest ok is high and dry but has irrigation water from the ogalala aquafer and southeast ok is hot muggy and much trees. central ok is rolling hils about 32 inches of rain per year and if you are in the right spot irrigation. we have two interstate hwys one north south another eastwest so trucking is ok. one thing about ok <if you don't like the weather just wait a minute and it will change>

Great luck

Quick Reply: some questions about Oklahoma life