Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Huge coolant leak on 91 explorer

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 01:07 PM
joel045
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Huge coolant leak on 91 explorer

So I’ve know this guy for a while that has had a 91 explorer for sale, he wanted $500 for it but it had a intake leak. (Slow praying) I told him I wasn’t interested.

I Hadn’t seen him in a year or so, but ran into him last week. To make a long story short he gave me the explorer because his friend replaced the upper and lower intake gaskets, but now instead of a spray. It leaks out as fast as you can poor it in the radiator (maybe not as fast, but just about, like water coming out of a drinking straw)
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
So its hard to see where exactly, but its behind the alternator, I took off the AC (on top the P/s) but still hard to see, coming from up above were the water pump is. No way to see it, but I have this cool camera that I stuck up there and I can see the water gushing out of blue silicone) looks like lower intake gasket when I poor some down the radiator.
<o></o>
Here is my question., could someone have done such a bad job of replacing the gaskets that it leaks that bad? Like literally gushes out! And drains down until the level in the radiator is about the same level is the lower intake manifold. Its like he left a bolt out or didn’t even put a gasket in lol….anyways. I’am 90% sure it’s the gasket….can anyone link me to some good posts on the step by step process of doing this. Tools I will need etc
<o></o>
thanks for you’re time and help

Old 09-18-2010, 06:23 PM
aquanaut20
Cargo Master
Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts
Yes it is not only possible, but probable. If the valley gasket is not placed properly and/or the intake manifold is moved by sliding, the gasket will fold and fall off the edge of the block, causing the leak you see.

Not torquing the intake down in proper sequence has been known to squeeze the gasket out....

Only fix is to tear it of and redo with a good gasket set.

Old 09-18-2010, 07:33 PM
joel045
New User
hmm yeah thats what i was thinking, just didnt know if it was actually leak that bad even hand tightened down. so what is the correct gasket set to use? autozone? napa etc carry the correct set? i've searched the site a few times but i've seen close to four "correct" gaskets to use lol....where can i find the torque sequense? thanks for your reply bro..

Originally Posted by aquanaut20
Yes it is not only possible, but probable. If the valley gasket is not placed properly and/or the intake manifold is moved by sliding, the gasket will fold and fall off the edge of the block, causing the leak you see.

Not torquing the intake down in proper sequence has been known to squeeze the gasket out....

Only fix is to tear it of and redo with a good gasket set.

Old 09-19-2010, 11:20 AM
aquanaut20
Cargo Master
I used a fel-pro the last time around, and a good hi-temp RTV (silicon/O2 safe) for the indicated areas (joints between block/head and intake manifold)

Install dowels (remove after setting head and installing several bolts) this ensures the gasket does not shift and the intake lines up correctly.

FWIW, last time around I set the truck down on its rotors(wheels off), easier to reach rather than have to climb....

Old 09-21-2010, 02:00 PM
joel045
New User
hmmm so i'am guessing the gasket set will have instructions where to put the rtv? what method did you use for marking wires/hoses etc to get them back in place? i think i'am going to use tape and a marker, just have tape everywhere so i know where everything goes...any better ideas? thanks for your help btw

I used a fel-pro the last time around, and a good hi-temp RTV (silicon/O2 safe) for the indicated areas (joints between block/head and intake manifold)

Install dowels (remove after setting head and installing several bolts) this ensures the gasket does not shift and the intake lines up correctly.

FWIW, last time around I set the truck down on its rotors(wheels off), easier to reach rather than have to climb....

Old 09-21-2010, 02:11 PM
aquanaut20
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by joel045
hmmm so i'am guessing the gasket set will have instructions where to put the rtv? what method did you use for marking wires/hoses etc to get them back in place? i think i'am going to use tape and a marker, just have tape everywhere so i know where everything goes...any better ideas? thanks for your help btw

I didnt use any markers, but tape and pencil will do, backed up with digital camera. Good luck.

Old 09-25-2010, 02:08 PM
joel045
New User
thanks, good advice, i hae everything out, just cleaning up now. painted the valve covers and a few other things.....

I didnt use any markers, but tape and pencil will do, backed up with digital camera. Good luck.

Old 09-30-2010, 10:41 PM
joel045
New User
so, update. after doing the upper and lower intake gaskets it is really not that hard of a task...the only thing you really need to do is

(1) mark (tape and number them) sparkplug wires
(2) mark (tape and number them) lines going into upper intake so you dont mix them up, everything else really just falls into place.

on a worse note. it is now leaking on the passenger side (who knows where) and still getting coolant into the oil....(cracked head? head gasket?) but atleast its not leaking coolant in the same spot lol

Old 10-01-2010, 12:27 AM
aquanaut20
Cargo Master
so, update. after doing the upper and lower intake gaskets it is really not that hard of a task...the only thing you really need to do is

(1) mark (tape and number them) sparkplug wires
(2) mark (tape and number them) lines going into upper intake so you dont mix them up, everything else really just falls into place.

on a worse note. it is now leaking on the passenger side (who knows where) and still getting coolant into the oil....(cracked head? head gasket?) but atleast its not leaking coolant in the same spot lol
Joel, The most common area for leakage is the water channel at the back of the head, gaskets tend to roll or slip off the rather thin wall.

This is one area I alluded to on my previous post.

Old 10-01-2010, 12:44 AM
joel045
New User
what gasket? lower intake? if so how do all screw screw in? lower intake was lined up when i intalled...or are you talking about a head gasket?

Joel, The most common area for leakage is the water channel at the back of the head, gaskets tend to roll or slip off the rather thin wall.

This is one area I alluded to on my previous post.

Old 10-01-2010, 10:35 AM
aquanaut20
Cargo Master
what gasket? lower intake? if so how do all screw screw in? lower intake was lined up when i intalled...or are you talking about a head gasket?

Yes, I am referring to the lower intake manifold, in the valley. Did you use dowels to eliminate side movement when you set the intake manifold in place??

I know first hand that it is a pain in the A**, but after you have had it happen (did to me) and it requires a second tear down, second time you are more precise with the install.

Old 10-01-2010, 10:45 PM
joel045
New User
no actually i just placed the gaskets down, used the black silicone crap and torqued it down. looked lined up, i followed the haynes book, but i thought if the bolts screw in, the gasket is lined up...do you think it could still be the lower gasket and not the head gaskets? you might be on to something because it looks like it has a different coolent leak on the passenger side now, but not leaking at the driverside...i dont know, maybe i will just strip it down to the heads and pay a mechanic to put it back together lol....do you have to machine the heads after you take them off?

Yes, I am referring to the lower intake manifold, in the valley. Did you use dowels to eliminate side movement when you set the intake manifold in place??

I know first hand that it is a pain in the A**, but after you have had it happen (did to me) and it requires a second tear down, second time you are more precise with the install.