Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-29-2008, 10:08 AM
Moderatee...

NewEnglandHerdsman has a spectacular reputation.NewEnglandHerdsman has a spectacular reputation.NewEnglandHerdsman has a spectacular reputation.NewEnglandHerdsman has a spectacular reputation.NewEnglandHerdsman has a spectacular reputation.NewEnglandHerdsman has a spectacular reputation.NewEnglandHerdsman has a spectacular reputation.NewEnglandHerdsman has a spectacular reputation.NewEnglandHerdsman has a spectacular reputation.NewEnglandHerdsman has a spectacular reputation.NewEnglandHerdsman has a spectacular reputation.
bio diesel for home heating oil?

I'm thinking about starting to make some bio-diesel. A couple questions for the pro's:

Power - I'd like to run it in some of our ag equipment - should I expect any loss of power over "conventional" diesel?

Home heating oil - right now my pickup is still a gas job, so one application I'd want to use the fuel for near-term is to heat my home. I'm assuming that I can use bio-diesel (made from WVO) in my oil furnace? Any changes required to the furnace (nozzle size, air mix, filters, etc.)

Taxes - If this works out, my next truck may very well be a diesel - do folks typically pay up for the road taxes for home-brew bio-diesel?

TIA for the help...
"90% of the game is half mental. Yogi Berra
Old 02-29-2008, 11:30 AM
Posting Guru

Phydeaux88 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Phydeaux88 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Answer to 1 while BD has a slightly lower BTU rating it is an oxygenated fuel providing a more efficient burn. Power loss should be minimal.

Answer to 2 Unless your home heating system has rubber components you can simply substitute BD. If there are rubber seals, hoses, etc change them to vitron.

Answer to 3 Presently NO Shhhhhh do not broadcast that you are making BD and certainly do not sell it.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:53 PM
Senior User

TchTchr is starting off with a positive reputation.
I can't comment on biodiesel, but I know with my two WVO systems, I can tell no difference in power when they switch over. We actually joke with people who have never ridden in our vehichles to hold on when it switches over. They are like - when's it going to happen?

Vehicles:

2001 F-250 CC - Vegistroke, many performance goodies - scary fast off the line

1981 Mercedes 300TDT - greasecar conversion, what a highway cruiser!

1963 Chevy II - bone stock - restored (by me), my grandpa bought new, my first car (1980) - my baby
Old 02-29-2008, 09:28 PM

fabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputation
Go for it Jim! I've been growing my own oil seeds and making biodiesel for my 6,000 acre wheat ranch for almost 5 years, and I'll never go back to dinodiesel, EVER!! I use it in both my D-6D, and my AG-6. All the wheel tractors, my 2 irrigation pumps, my standby genset, and all my diesel pickups and semi's. I used to use it in my shop for heat, but now I burn the glycerol by-product for shop heat! I also use it in my home for heat. If you are interested in home heating, check out this Yahoo Group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/altfuelfurnace/I'm a member there also, and there is a wealth of knowledge there on using alt fuels for home heating.

Welcome to the "Wonderfull World of Biodiesel" Good luck, and keep us posted on your progress!

RIP Steve Price. A true friend and a tireless supporter of FTE
Old 02-29-2008, 09:45 PM
Moderatee...

NewEnglandHerdsman has a spectacular reputation.NewEnglandHerdsman has a spectacular reputation.NewEnglandHerdsman has a spectacular reputation.NewEnglandHerdsman has a spectacular reputation.NewEnglandHerdsman has a spectacular reputation.NewEnglandHerdsman has a spectacular reputation.NewEnglandHerdsman has a spectacular reputation.NewEnglandHerdsman has a spectacular reputation.NewEnglandHerdsman has a spectacular reputation.NewEnglandHerdsman has a spectacular reputation.NewEnglandHerdsman has a spectacular reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabmandelux
Go for it Jim! I've been growing my own oil seeds and making biodiesel for my 6,000 acre wheat ranch for almost 5 years, and I'll never go back to dinodiesel, EVER!! I use it in both my D-6D, and my AG-6. All the wheel tractors, my 2 irrigation pumps, my standby genset, and all my diesel pickups and semi's. I used to use it in my shop for heat, but now I burn the glycerol by-product for shop heat! I also use it in my home for heat. If you are interested in home heating, check out this Yahoo Group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/altfuelfurnace/I'm a member there also, and there is a wealth of knowledge there on using alt fuels for home heating.

Welcome to the "Wonderfull World of Biodiesel" Good luck, and keep us posted on your progress!
Thanks for the welcome and the info!

One thing I'm glad to hear you mention that I haven't seen addressed in the reading I've done so far is what to do with the byproducts - good to hear that has uses as well!

Got a lot of work to do to get going, but I'll around with more questions, I'm sure....
"90% of the game is half mental. Yogi Berra
Old 02-29-2008, 10:04 PM

fabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputation
One of the things I've been working on the last few years is uses for the by-products. So far I've made heating pellets, cattle feed supplements, dust control spray, weed killer, and fertilizer just from the glycerol!

The seed-cake from the press is 40 percent protein, and the cattle just love it..........

Old 03-01-2008, 09:59 PM
Senior User

nelstone74 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:

One of the things I've been working on the last few years is uses for the by-products. So far I've made heating pellets, cattle feed supplements, dust control spray, weed killer, and fertilizer just from the glycerol!

The seed-cake from the press is 40 percent protein, and the cattle just love it..........
You might be my new hero. How did you figure all this out?

97 F350, 7.3 Auto, DRW, 2wd, Reg Cab & Chassis
Just A WORK TRUCK Mods: Flatbed, gauges, 6637, 3" DP, cat took a hike, PHP tunes, group 31 batteries, western mirrors, 17.5 wheels, paint scratches, dirt, rust.
97 Light Duty F250, 4.6L, Auto, 4wd, Ext Cab.
Old 03-02-2008, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelstone74
You might be my new hero. How did you figure all this out?
Lot's and lot's of hard work, and a desire to take my ranch "off-grid" as much as possible.

We now make all our own fuel, and within the next 18 months we should have 2 800kw wind generators supplying all our electrical needs, plus we'll send the oversupply back into the grid to generate more income for the ranch.

Old 03-02-2008, 02:44 PM
Senior User

nelstone74 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I like it a lot. This is something I am really interested in, so it sounds like I better roll up my sleeves and get to work. Keep up the good work. I don't think I am headed you way anytime soon but I would like to see the operation.

97 F350, 7.3 Auto, DRW, 2wd, Reg Cab & Chassis
Just A WORK TRUCK Mods: Flatbed, gauges, 6637, 3" DP, cat took a hike, PHP tunes, group 31 batteries, western mirrors, 17.5 wheels, paint scratches, dirt, rust.
97 Light Duty F250, 4.6L, Auto, 4wd, Ext Cab.
Old 03-02-2008, 02:44 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels