1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Fuel

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 09:55 AM
JethroF250
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel

Is there a way to turn the fuel up without a shim?

Old 02-28-2008, 10:03 AM
plowhand
Playing in the Dirt
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As in "turning up the fuel on an injection pump"? No, our trucks do not have injection pumps. A constant supply of fuel "under high pressure" is supplied to the injectors through fuel passages in the head by our two stage fuel pump. Programming will get you a little more fuel (but not much). You will need larger injectors to get more fuel into the cylinders.

The FPR shim is used to raise the fuel pressure back to the desired psi for optimal performance.

Old 02-28-2008, 10:06 AM
JethroF250
Posting Guru
Ok thanks. Im getting a shim soon from a guy on here. But I was just curious on if we could turn our trucks up like the older "Cummins to The Garage"

Old 02-28-2008, 11:41 AM
skittlejr
Elder User
as stated before all the "tuning" comes electronically on a powerstroke. keep hanging out here. you will find what you need to know to "turn it up." the possibilities are endless. do searches on the following to get you started:
"6637"
"10k mod" or "resistor"
"ccv"
"stage 2" or "3"
"17* hpop"
"wildman"

the first three are simple, the last three are more involved mods. oh yeah, welcome to FTE

Old 02-28-2008, 04:57 PM
Flea
Elder User
Yep. Keep in mind you can't "tune" a diesel. You can't adjust timing, no spark plug.
Best ways to get better is more air flow in and more air flow out.
Cool the air in as well.
Figure out what you want your truck to do. Left stock it is a pretty great truck.

Old 02-29-2008, 11:58 AM
skittlejr
Elder User
Originally Posted by Flea
Yep. Keep in mind you can't "tune" a diesel. You can't adjust timing, no spark plug.
you can't adjust timing on an "electronically" controlled diesel (well, actually with a custom chip, you could, and i'm sure that's what some of the programming in the tuners does)

you can adjust timing in a mechanically controlled diesel. advancing the timing is actually one of the basic performance enhancements.

Old 02-29-2008, 12:01 PM
Flea
Elder User
How do you adjust timing if there is no spark?

Old 02-29-2008, 12:02 PM
c00nhunterjoe
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you can adjust injector timing on our trucks, by changing the percieved engine oil temp you can advance the injector timing

Old 02-29-2008, 12:13 PM
skittlejr
Elder User
Originally Posted by Flea
How do you adjust timing if there is no spark?
you adjust when the fuel is injected into the cylinder which is what causes the combustion

every internal combustion engine has to be timed. the valves, fuel injection, and if applicable the spark must be timed in relation to where the piston is in a given cylinder. if the diesel injector squirted the fuel when the piston was at the bottom of the cylinder or on the exhaust stroke then there would be no combustion. i'm not sure how much you know about the inner workings of an engine so please don't take this wrong. the timing is achieved by the lobes on the cam which are synched to the crankshaft through a belt, chain, or gears so that the valves open at exactly the right time in relation the piston location. in a mechanical engine the injection pump, or the distributor, is also synched so that spark or fuel injection happens at the right time when the piston is near or at tdc on the compression stroke. that's a real down and dirty explanation and i hope i didn't insult your intelligence if you knew all that already.

Old 02-29-2008, 12:14 PM
skittlejr
Elder User
Originally Posted by c00nhunterjoe
you can adjust injector timing on our trucks, by changing the percieved engine oil temp you can advance the injector timing
is it a worthwhile mod? what kind of gains?

Old 02-29-2008, 01:34 PM
Todd525
Posting Guru
You can tune any diesel. Its the same principal as a gas motor, instead of spark, your messing with the actual time of the squirt, the amount of the squirt, and the duration of the squirt. As mentioned above, there are several different ways to do it. This is how you make big hp, get your tow tunes, and get economy tunes. Depending on what your doing, and how much your looking to spend, ITS VERY WORTHWHILE. Think of a injector as a jet from a carb in each cylinder, and the squirt as the dist timing. Thats all there is to it.

Old 02-29-2008, 01:35 PM
c00nhunterjoe
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i dont know about exact gains but most people have claimed pretty decent seat of the pants numbers. so i figure if you can feel a difference in power in a vehicle that weighs 7k then its worth doing to me

Old 02-29-2008, 01:52 PM
skittlejr
Elder User
do you know how to do it? is it as simple as a resistor on the eot sensor like doing a 10k mod. i bet it's not that simple because it seems to me if it were easy AND worthwhile i would have heard of it before.

Old 02-29-2008, 01:58 PM
Todd525
Posting Guru
Brain crossed here

Old 02-29-2008, 02:28 PM
skittlejr
Elder User
the 10k mod tricks the PCM into thinking that the injector oil pressure is lower than what it actually is, causing the pcm to tell the ipr to up the pressure making more power. i cant say whether the program mapping uses hpo pressure as one of the variables to determin injector timing, that is possible.

Quick Reply: Fuel