2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help taking out stock air intake tube...

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 05:08 PM
SteelHorse08
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need help taking out stock air intake tube...

Have ordered the AirRaid ( M.I.T ) intake tube, to replace the stock restrictive unit, and wanted to know how hard is this gonna be to remove? Would I have to to take the whole air box off? Anyone done this, just replacing the intake tube? The AirRaid website says it would take 10-15 minutes to install the intake tube, but how do you get the stock one off? Truck is an 08' F-150 with the 5.4L. If anyone could give detailed instructions it would be greatly appreciated. Not in my budget for the total (CAI) unit so got what I could afford. Thanks, Jeff

Old 02-26-2008, 06:04 PM
silver05fx4
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i put one on my truck ..just like the one you are talking about and all it was is just one bolt to remove and the stock tube pulls right out..and slide the new tube in and put the bolt back in ..that was it real easy ..i got mine from summitracing and came with a new air filter too

Old 02-26-2008, 06:19 PM
ohboy44
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes there is one screw to remove on the drivers side P.S. reservoir bracket. Then pull the air filter out of the air box and take your fingers and slightly bend the air tube end down to disengage the lock tabs from the air box. The other end of the tube just pulls out of the inner fender, it's held in place by a rubber grommet.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:50 PM
silver lariat
Senior User
Look in the menu above the forums and find articles. Then select Engine and Intake. Then select what should be the first article, installing a Volant CAI on the Roush project truck. I know that's not what your doing but it has pictures and step by step for removing the stock tube, box, etc. Might help.

Old 02-26-2008, 11:35 PM
SteelHorse08
Senior User
thanks for replies, where's this screw or bolt located? Looked at my air box and dont see it. I see bolts holding the air box housing but dont just see 1 bolt see 4. Where's this "menu's" at above the forums? I just dont want to break anything, things seem all plastic and fragile around there. Also which filter should I get? True-Flow, K&N or just use paper filter drop-ins? Whats you performance like with the new tube?

Old 02-27-2008, 12:21 AM
silver lariat
Senior User
The menu I'm referring to is at top of the web page as you look at this site. You see the words Home - Forums - Galleries - Articles/Specs and so in boxes at top of the page? Click there on Articles - that will take you to a page with a list of categories. Click there on Engine and Intake - that will then open a page shiowing a list of articles nder diferent categories. Right at top of page should be one about installing the Volant CAI on the Roush Project Truck. Open that article and you'll see the pictures.

I installed my Volant using that article as instructions and it was a piece of cake - and I'm about as far fro being mechanically inclined as you can get.

Old 02-27-2008, 05:03 PM
SteelHorse08
Senior User
resetting computer needed?

Thanks for the reply, I just got done reading it. I was wanting to know do I have to reset the computer by just replacing the intake tube only? I did change the muffler already and soon the air intake tube only.

Old 02-27-2008, 05:50 PM
F0rdzTuff
Elder User
No, you don't have to reset anything. The puter will never know.

Old 02-27-2008, 05:55 PM
silver lariat
Senior User
My understanding, from the article, was the computer is automatically reset by disconnecting and then reconnecting the battery when finished. I did it just because it said to. That's the extent of my knowledge about it.

Old 02-28-2008, 04:46 PM
SteelHorse08
Senior User
Originally Posted by silver lariat
My understanding, from the article, was the computer is automatically reset by disconnecting and then reconnecting the battery when finished. I did it just because it said to. That's the extent of my knowledge about it.
Ya I think if I was putting in the big CAI unit then disconnect battery but I only replacing the stock intake tube, I not having to disconnect all the sensors. But quick question though when you disconnected the battery I was told that the radio stops working and you have to go to a dealer so the can reset it in the computer, whats the deal with that?

Old 02-28-2008, 05:09 PM
silver lariat
Senior User
Don't know. I'd heard that too (and read it here) but did not affect my radio at all and I was about 3 hours installing the CAI with the battery disconnected. Cranked right back up and everything was just as it was.

Old 02-28-2008, 08:24 PM
SteelHorse08
Senior User
Well after you take the stock intake tube out what do you do with the hole where the tube was in the wheel well? Just leave it open? seal it with what ever? Hey Silver whats the best drop-in air filter to use with this set-up?

Old 02-28-2008, 08:45 PM
silver lariat
Senior User
Best drop in filter - i couldn't tell you. I swapped the entire intake from stock to a Volant CAI. in that case the filter box sits in the fender well and it has a rubber gasket that seals around the stock intake hole. In fact it continues to use that opening as well as one down front where the 'snorkel' fits if you use it. I don't have any experience with just swapping the intake tube and keeping the stock filter box. I'm sure someone else here does.