Lightning, Harley-Davidson F-150, Roush F-150 & Saleen F-150 SVT Ford F150 Lightning, Roush, Saleen and other performance F150's

mew member

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 04:07 AM
untamed beast
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mew member

Just became a part of the HD blown F-150 family. Looking for a suggestions on what to do first to improve on it?

Old 02-27-2008, 10:51 AM
wd13
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome!
Dont know your power goals but I'd say 4-6lb lower, colder plugs, good tune, and cai (cold air intake)

Old 02-27-2008, 03:06 PM
untamed beast
New User
I am new to owning a super charger all together. What do you mean by 4 to 6 lbs lower? where can I get a good tune in San Diego. How long should I wait to get the tune well rather at how many miles cause I am sitting at 100 miles.

Old 02-27-2008, 07:01 PM
wd13
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
By 4-6 lb lower, I'm talking about the crank pulley. The one that drives the supercharger. A 4lb'r will give you approx 4 additional pounds of boost over the stocker and the 6 will net you 6. For a good tune there's lots of places to choose from. JLP, JDM, JJ at Woodbine Motorsports, Amazon, Sal at Power Surge Perf, etc. None of which are in San Diego but, any one of the above can get you pretty spot on with just a mail order tune. IMO you cant start the modding soon enough. Once you've started you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner. Make sure you get a good tune before you install a lower though.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:11 PM
commandersander
Senior User
You have a guy local to you that is a great source of info, AND...specialty parts.

Mike Dunn

I was turned onto him here, on the forum.....and I can say with ALL certainty....he know EXACTLY what time it is!!!!!http://www.madenterprise.com

I am not new to SC, but this is my first factory offering....and the variables that go with it are as new.

Personally, I know for a fact that a good tune via SCT flash programmer (through a reliable source) is a good start.....with or without ANY other mods.

I went with a guy that I am familiar with in the industry. He made H U G E strides in the advancement of mainstream power with the original Ford GT-1 project......as in....the worlds first and the worlds fastest GT...with a twin turbo.....

Mr. Torrie
http://www.FastPartsNetwork.com

http://www.UnleashedTuning.com

Anyway....next to consider is a pulley....then single blade throttle body. Next on the list is maybe a C&L intake.....then screw the pooch and go for a real huffer.....

Think and then react to your ultimate want. The truck is new. A programmer won't and can't compromise your warranty. Other add-on's become a fight. The dealer has to prove that the aftermarket part caused a (the) failure in the event of a "warranty situation".....however....you are burdened with proving that it did not......

A tuner allows for a return to stock situation without EVER touching a wrench.....and the truck does NOT have to be operable to perform this.

All of the other mods (ALL) require a wrench....or socket....or some other tool. If you have a front end miss-hap......and the radiator is in the oil pan....how ya gonna swap that lower pulley now?

I am in NO WAY trying to discourage you......but instead....give you enough info to allow you to make an informed decision.

So....now that I have eluded to an ending that you may have in mind, you might find it cheaper (especially in the long run!!!!) to have JLP build you a R E A L short block, add the top end that you can afford and recoup the majority of the funds by off-ing your brand new plant......

Old 02-28-2008, 02:07 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by commandersander
You have a guy local to you that is a great source of info, AND...specialty parts.

Mike Dunn

I was turned onto him here, on the forum.....and I can say with ALL certainty....he know EXACTLY what time it is!!!!!http://www.madenterprise.com
Commander, the guy who recommended you to Mike at Madenterprise must be a freaking genius!!

SoCal is actually quite a distance from Mike's shop in the East Bay.

Beast, listen to WD on the mods. As well, the people he's listed are excellent tuners (I use JJ at WMS), but you might want to think about going with someone who can give your truck a spot on dyno tune.

Check out Gregg at RET in Downey. He's got an excellent rep for tuning all Ford powered beasts, very well. http://www.racersedgetuning.com/

Stewart

Old 02-28-2008, 02:11 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by commandersander
you might find it cheaper (especially in the long run!!!!) to have JLP build you a R E A L short block, add the top end that you can afford and recoup the majority of the funds by off-ing your brand new plant......
Personally (just my opinion), I'd go with JDM before I'd ever think of a JLP engine.

Stewart

Old 02-28-2008, 09:02 AM
commandersander
Senior User
Yeah.....he's a pretty smart guy.....

I heard he was working on a cure for cancer, but that is not confirmed....

Thanks again!