Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute
Old 11-21-2014, 11:41 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Brake Guides

Browse all: 4WD Guides
Print Wikipost

4X4 Light Blinking and ABS light on

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 11:41 PM
BIGBAND39
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4X4 Light Blinking and ABS light on

I was driving today and felt my ABS kick in with a pulsing pedal, although I was on dry ground. From that point on, my ABS light stayed on and my 4X4 light will blink every minute or so 8 consecutive times. The ABS light has gone off a couple times but only for a second and the ABS light comes back on again. I did get the truck on a scanner and got the codes C1234, U2023, U0415. Tried to clear the codes, but the ABS light prevails. Any ideas? I've seen a lot of posts on here with similar issues, but none exactly like this. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Jon

Old 03-18-2008, 05:35 PM
jmd4devils
New User
I'm experiencing the same problem with my '06 Escape.

I took it to the garage (a non Ford garage) and they replaced an ABS sensor, but could not get the U2023 error code to go away.

Bigband - did you have any luck getting an answer?

Old 03-20-2008, 08:05 AM
jmd4devils
New User
I did some more researching today, and the solution that worked for me was to look under the front passenger seat for a wiring connector (about 1.5 inches wide, .75 inches thick) and disconnect and reconnect it. Once I did that the error lights disappeared.

I then took it back to the garage I went to earlier and had them connect the computer to it. The error codes had gone away.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-28-2008, 12:08 PM
elfqueen713
New User
Exclamation 4x4 light keeps blinking

Hi,
I have had a similar problem develop today as yours. My 4x4 light is on and keeps blinking on and off like the other guys was. It will go off for awhile then it will come on again, once while I was sitting at a red light this morning. Do you think that the wire control thing would work in this instance as well?
or do you have any other suggestions of how I might solve this problem? I purchased this car used a little over a week ago and have already been back for something else and I have a 3 month warranty but they are less than helpful to me so I would like to try to solve this on my own if possible.
Thanks for any and all help
Stacy

Old 08-28-2008, 03:47 PM
jmd4devils
New User
So after I did the wire trick, the issue came back a couple of days later.

It turned out to be an ABS Tone Ring. This ring was about 4 inches in diameter. In my case it cracked.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-28-2008, 09:30 PM
lostinfords
Posting Guru
Ditto...on tone ring, had mine replaced on my '05 and no more light.

Old 09-01-2008, 03:48 PM
elfqueen713
New User
Red face easy fix??

Hi,
is this an easy/inexpensive fix or hard/expensive? the reason i ask is the place i purchased this from gave me a 3 month warranty but i have had the car about 2 weeks and i had one problem with it and was basically told to fix it myself. so if i can just fix it by myself and not have to deal with them i would be very glad. any help, like where and how would be greatly appreciated if it is something i can do myself.
my dad used to do all this for me and since he has passed i am trying to learn all this for the first time. i should have taken better notes but i never thought he wasn't going to be there someday. he got cancer at 57.
so now i am trying to be like him and learn as much as i can on my own before having to take it to someone else. especially someone who doesn't really want to fix it anyway.
thanks for all your help
Stacy

Old 09-16-2008, 07:28 PM
KawiG5
Senior User
Everyone keep watching for a recall from Ford about the ABS. It looks like it might possibly be an older recall. My sister got the recall in today for her 2002 Escape. The recall number is 07S51 - ABS module connector inspection. Go to Genuine Ford and Lincoln Mercury Parts & Service and click on the "recall" option on the left side of the page and enter your VIN to see if a recall has been issued for your Escape.

Old 04-04-2009, 10:23 AM
Matt R.
New User
ABS Light on 4X4 Light Flashing, 06 Escape XLS

I am having the same problem with the ABS light on and 4x4 flashing off and on.

If the problem is the tone wheel, how much can I expect to pay for the repair?

Also, those of you with this problem, which tone wheel was the problem (right,left/front /rear)?
Thanks

Old 10-03-2009, 12:11 PM
sirhannick
New User
C1227 - Speed Wheel Sensor LR Input Short Circuit To Battery
C1228 - Speed Wheel Sensor LR Input Short Circuit To Ground
C1229 - Speed Wheel Sensor Rear Center Coherency Fault
C1230 - Speed Wheel Sensor Rear Center Input Circuit Failure
C1231 - Speed Wheel Sensor Rear Center Circuit Open
C1232 - Speed Wheel Sensor Rear Center Input Short Circuit To Battery
C1233 - Speed Wheel LF Input Signal Missing
C1234 - Speed Wheel RF Input Signal Missing
C1235 - Speed Wheel RR Input Signal Missing
C1236 - Speed Wheel LR Input Signal Missing
C1237 - Speed Wheel Rear Input Signal Missing

In my case it was C1233 (left front) followed by U2023 (fault recieved by external node). I purchased a new wheel speed sensor for the left front (They are all different an not interchangeable left/right/front/back), but then upon inspection when I was about to install the new sensor I found a small (5mm) crack in the tone ring. I have to see if the tone ring can be purchased separately or the entire CV shaft has to be replaced. I will report back on this.

Old 08-10-2011, 04:58 PM
cathysmom
New User
ABS-4WD Lights 2007 Escape

I too experienced the ABS light coming on...then it was followed by the 4WD light blinking....I even had one incident where there was a grinding sound...

Took it to my mechanic and it was confirmed that the ring was cracked and it would be around $235 parts/labor....

Hopefully that's all that's wrong!!

Old 08-11-2011, 06:38 PM
rickfar
Senior User
wow 250.00 bucks for a 5.00 part damm thats just wrong i replaced the whole axle on the drivers side for 56.00 last yr for same problem cracked ring and about a month ago I replaced the ring only on the pass side it was really easy and I didnt even loosen the ball joint just took axle nut off took strut bolts out and got enough play to get axle thru knuckle and put new one on. from the looks of the rust at the crack they fail in stages as a small crack developed and then it just gets worse until a bump or what ever just makes it come loose. but if you can get under the car you can reposition the ring and i did that 70 miles from home and it held for another 2 weeks till i changed it but i guess all things are not the same.

Old 10-23-2011, 07:34 PM
juztagirl
New User
Exclamation 2000 Ford exp Ltd 4x4 lights flashing

Hi can anyone tell me why my 4x4 lights on my dash flash on and off in my suv? Ford Explorer limited 4x4. 4 litre. I'll be driving and they flash on and off then go out and maybe 5-10 minutes later they are back flashing again. I just purchased the vehicle. Thanks

I am new to this site so maybe you could send a reply to my email at

debby_kelley@hotmail.com

Old 11-30-2011, 07:10 AM
cathysmom
New User
ABS Light & 4WD Light on Again!

Though I just had the cracked ABS sensor ring replaced ($325) on my "2006 Ford Escape", it appears that the ABS light is back on and then the 4WD light will blink (usually while stopping).

So it's back to the Mechanic....I'm not sure what the situation is or if I'll have to replace this on a regular basis...but that will get extremely old! Ford doesnt have any recall for my vechicle...Also, when checking my online information on the Ford site there was $175 under Cost....not sure where that number came from!!

Has anyone else had the lights return after fixing the sensor ring?

Old 11-30-2011, 05:08 PM
rickfar
Senior User
Originally Posted by cathysmom
Though I just had the cracked ABS sensor ring replaced ($325) on my "2006 Ford Escape", it appears that the ABS light is back on and then the 4WD light will blink (usually while stopping).

So it's back to the Mechanic....I'm not sure what the situation is or if I'll have to replace this on a regular basis...but that will get extremely old! Ford doesnt have any recall for my vechicle...Also, when checking my online information on the Ford site there was $175 under Cost....not sure where that number came from!!

Has anyone else had the lights return after fixing the sensor ring?
on my 2006 I had the lights come on and replaced left side and all was well but....... 3 weeks later rt side went out tone ring and had to replace that 325 seems steep for a 5.00 ring did mine in about 2 hrs by just removing lower strut bolts and axle nut and swung knuckle out of the way cleaned axle and replace ring but dont know what would cause it to come back on unless another tone ring is shot or the sensor is bad check other side to see if ring is tight or cracked..........

Quick Reply: 4X4 Light Blinking and ABS light on